2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

3 minutes ago, Bilzz said:

Gibson came back because he got a bag. Parker was not in position to cash in substantially last year. He will be next year. SLU will have to pony-up to keep him.

I don't think we should really pony-up for him. He's a great scorer but doesn't do much else and this year he's been very injury prone after the broken foot. He doesn't really warrant 30-a-game unless he's out there with guys who just plain can't score. Would rather build around better defenders. That's just me, though. Parker is one of the few D1 talents we have on this roster.

AGB91 likes this

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Soderball said:

I don't think we should really pony-up for him. He's a great scorer but doesn't do much else and this year he's been very injury prone after the broken foot. He doesn't really warrant 30-a-game unless he's out there with guys who just plain can't score. Would rather build around better defenders. That's just me, though. Parker is one of the few D1 talents we have on this roster.

Im not saying we should or should not but Gibby has played in every game over the last 4 years

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Im not saying we should or should not but Gibby has played in every game over the last 4 years

Gibson? Gibson can go; too many other guys that can shoot 40% from 3 in the game today. I thought he was better than he was until i dug into the stats. A lot of guys can do what he does.

I was talking about Parker; who is a much more dynamic scorer than GJ

Heck man, even THJ is firing up threes in today's game. This isn't the special stat line it used to be. EVERYONE does this.

I had mentioned Alan Huss before along with Steve Lutz at Western Kentucky--both former Creighton assistants.  This is only Huss first year at High Point & Lutz first year at Western Kentucky after 2 years at TX A&M Corpus Christi.  Not sure either would look to jump after only 1 year but think both should be considered.

Gibson looked a lot better when we had a real point guard.  Meadows was miscast as a PG and Medley getting better but wasn't ready for big minutes this year.  Parker when healthy had to have offense run through him--Gibson couldn't do this, depends on a PG.  Hope both back next year and we have a real PG and another wing player at least.  Ezewiro hopefully in better shape to play more minutes--Zhang & VanBussel have shown enough to come back and keep developing but a strong 4 will be needed.

In the NIL/transfer era, every position can be upgraded every year. Guys like Jimerson and Parker would be nice pieces in smaller roles on a better team but both have huge limitations that will hold any team back if they're the focal points

5 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

In the NIL/transfer era, every position can be upgraded every year. Guys like Jimerson and Parker would be nice pieces in smaller roles on a better team but both have huge limitations that will hold any team back if they're the focal points

I think NIL and transfer portal will change the game a bit but I do think there are coaches out there that can operate their program in the classic sense but also can work the NIL/portal. That’s the kind of coach we need, not a guy dependent on the portal and NIL. At least IMO that feels like what Schertz and DeVries have been doing in the MVC 

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

Gibson? Gibson can go; too many other guys that can shoot 40% from 3 in the game today. I thought he was better than he was until i dug into the stats. A lot of guys can do what he does.

I was talking about Parker; who is a much more dynamic scorer than GJ

Heck man, even THJ is firing up threes in today's game. This isn't the special stat line it used to be. EVERYONE does this.

Sorry thought you were talking about Gibby. But ya, as legit as Parker is, this is a lot on injuries to go into next year thinking he’s your main guy 

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think SLU is as attractive job as much as the next coach wants to work for Chris May. I think it's a top 5 non-P5 job in a vacuum. 

SLU is top 15, if that. Get a clue. 

2 hours ago, Bilzz said:

Gibson came back because he got a bag. Parker was not in position to cash in substantially last year. He will be next year. SLU will have to pony-up to keep him.

May not get as big a bag after a subluxation on his shooting shoulder.

4 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

May not get as big a bag after a subluxation on his shooting shoulder.

Maybe he hit the catastrophic cap on his deductible and was able to use his tax deferred health savings account.*

Billikens.com where people come for tax information

Lord Elrond likes this

39 minutes ago, DOC said:

SLU is top 15, if that. Get a clue. 

I'm having a hard time finding 10 better jobs outside of Big Ten, SEC, Big East, ACC, Big 12. SLU pays better than every school in the Mountain West currently. SLU pays better (by double) than every MVC job. 

I am doing this quick so might miss a couple. Gonzaga is an easy #1. St Mary's has a solid track record, but Bennett is making a lot less than Ford there. Memphis in the AAC might be better. Nothing else in the AAC really comes close to SLU - maybe Wichita before the one Koch brother died. In the A10, Dayton or VCU might be viewed as better jobs. No one else is close. No one in the MVC is close. 

That is 5? 

27 minutes ago, Soderball said:

You having a mental breakdown over the impending firing of Travis Ford?

Have no idea what you’re talking about, but if you think we are a top 5 program after the P5 then you’re as dumb as you sound. We’re not even close. 

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

They do run "the weave" a decent amount though so I know that's a big red flag on this board.

Nothing wrong with the weave if you do more off it than run clock.  We don't.

thunderdan likes this

9 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I'm having a hard time finding 10 better jobs outside of Big Ten, SEC, Big East, ACC, Big 12. SLU pays better than every school in the Mountain West currently. SLU pays better (by double) than every MVC job. 

I am doing this quick so might miss a couple. Gonzaga is an easy #1. St Mary's has a solid track record, but Bennett is making a lot less than Ford there. Memphis in the AAC might be better. Nothing else in the AAC really comes close to SLU - maybe Wichita before the one Koch brother died. In the A10, Dayton or VCU might be viewed as better jobs. No one else is close. No one in the MVC is close. 

That is 5? 

That’s not the P5. Big East is not in the P5. 

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Big Ten

Big 12

SEC

ACC

BIG EAST

I was going to say that in college basketball, while the Pac12 still exists in its current form for a few more weeks, it’s actually a Power 6. It turns out that the Pac12 is 6th in Conference NET rankings.

JMM28 likes this

41 minutes ago, DOC said:

Can't wait until TFord is gone and you finally leave the board.

58 minutes ago, DOC said:

There isn't a P5 anymore. Its the P2 and then the Big 12, Big East, ACC. 

SLU has the potential to be a top 5 non power 5 job. Great facilities, good financial commitment, good market, generally just good commitment to the program but not a ton of pressure to win, etc. 

slu92 likes this