SLU Baseball vs. JUCO facilities

slu92

I came across this tonight, SLU played this juco last week and embarrassing is this? How can AD seriously believe current facility is D1 caliber? SLU baseball has as many A10 titles, as many or more, than all of our sports in last 10 years. Look at John A. Logan vs SLU baseball fields. Again tell me how slu coaches get one decent recruit to come to slu? They all deserve a raise. Terrible, kids and coaches deserve better, esp in St. Louis a baseball town. 

IMG_8419.jpeg

MB73 likes this

It’s not just about facilities.   If they want to play on campus they are going to be limited to what they can do because of space.  They could certainly do a lot with the fan experience, but will that a make a difference?  When I was in school I believed we played most of our games across the river.  Maryville and Lindenwood’s facilities are much better than ours for sure.  I will say there are a few JUCOs in Florida that are worse than ours that churn out Major Leagues by the handfuls.   

MB73 and slu92 like this

What we really need is Harrison and Bruce! Recruit them!

Seriously though. Resources are limited. We are focusing on basketball and soccer. The Champions Center was meant to help all sports. 

If we want better facilities, finding donors willing to spend lots of money on facilities for non-revenue sports is the key. 

cgeldmacher likes this

32 minutes ago, SLUMS81 said:

If there is enough room in midtown for a Top Golf,  I would think there might be space for a medium size baseball/ softball stadium complex.

There's space where the fields are now. They don't need to do much, just add some permanent-style stands, press box, dugouts, locker rooms. Space isn't the problem. The problem is that they play on second-rate high school practice fields.

JMM28 and TheChosenOne like this

3 hours ago, Brighton said:

You're expecting a school that's never been serious about their biggest revenue sport to care about baseball ?

All I can think about is Bob Hughes running Purple Heart drills while Coach Stick puts out a cigarette on home plate. Late 90s early 2000s Billiken Baseball used to play “Great Day to be Alive” by Travis Tritt when we won a home game. Ol’ Travis probably made $1.50 in ASCAP royalties in four years. 

DirtyRican likes this

5 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

All I can think about is Bob Hughes running Purple Heart drills while Coach Stick puts out a cigarette on home plate. Late 90s early 2000s Billiken Baseball used to play “Great Day to be Alive” by Travis Tritt when we won a home game. Ol’ Travis probably made $1.50 in ASCAP royalties in four years. 

I think my freshman year they had 8 wins and most of those were against Wash U and D2 schools.   Coach Hendrickson is a first ballot, unanimous Billiken Hall of Famer.  

My daughter went to High Point University in NC.  Their baseball stadium was magnificent.  But southern schools do that because baseball is year-round given the weather.  Given the current facilities (which didn't exist when I played at SLU) an upgrade to both would seem quite simple.  Provided you have the money.

7 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

My daughter went to High Point University in NC.  Their baseball stadium was magnificent.  But southern schools do that because baseball is year-round given the weather.  Given the current facilities (which didn't exist when I played at SLU) an upgrade to both would seem quite simple.  Provided you have the money.

Just did a quick google search, and that stadium is well within (or should be) in the budget.  Some sort of concourse with concrete/brick and some stadium seating.  Can’t be too crazy of a project

19 hours ago, thatskablamo said:

Was the team on campus yet or were they still playing over in Sauget?