Womens Basketball 2023-2024

thetorch

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the difference in the game was the free throw shooting by the Bills down the stretch.  Started the game 5 for 11 from the stripe and we looked like we couldn't throw the ball in the ocean if we were standing on the beach.  After that however the Bills made 21 of their next 22 which helped them not only get back in the game, but ultimately take the lead.

Ok, so after some research on opponents, I think all 3 games in Hawaii are winnable.  Chaminade University is a D2 program, who will only play their 3rd game against a D1 program when they face the Billikens. While they’ve won both games they’ve played, both have been against NAIA teams. This will be their SuperBowl, but they also only have 2 players 5’11”’s tall. Play our game and don’t get distracted by being in Hawaii, and we should win. Wake Forest is an ACC team, but they were picked near the bottom of the ACC in their conference preseason poll, and have beaten on Wofford, while losing to Davidson and UNCA&T (and scoring 51 and 52 points in both losses. Davidson was also picked 7th in the A10. We should be favored. BYU looks to be the toughest opponent, but they were also picked 11th in the Big 12 preseason poll (to be fair, BYU will also be playing for the first time in the Big 12, so other teams may not be as familiar with them as they should be). They are also 3-0, with wins over Montana State, Weber State and Utah Valley, and the game will be played on a BYU campus, so is it really a neutral site? This campus did have its own D2 program, but BYU shut the athletics part down several years ago, so 🤷‍♂️on the neutral site status. Also, according to the BYU athletics site, this game will be broadcast on something called BYUTV. Do not ask me what that is, also I’ve noticed that games like this not on ESPN+ get moved around a lot on different platforms at the last minute, so I will say this is only up to date as of now. In any event, this seems like a winnable game for SLU. Concentrate on the games when playing them and play your game, and hopefully good things happen.

35 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

109-63 Billiken win. The stats showed a total mismatch, SLU out rebounded them 66-21. Looks like the entire bench got in, every SLU player on the team played double-digit minutes. 

I know Chaminade is D-II but damn.

1 hour ago, Speyburn said:

Ashleigh Connor scored her first points for the Billikens. 11 pts in 10 mins, including a three which set the single game scoring record.

She was a redshirt last year, but over her high school career she was a 40% 3 pt shooter. It would be nice to work her in the mix if you can, being able to hit 3 point shots at a high rate really helps your team in the women’s game. The last year of Lisa Stone’s coaching career we lost a really good 3 pt shooter before the season, and we ended up in the bottom 5% of all teams in 3 pt shooting accuracy. We recovered some last year, but it was a problem a lot. Getting players who can bury 3’s, provided they play good defense, can really help you. One of next year’s incoming freshman signee’s, Mia Bergstrom, can also hit 3’s at a high rate. We need that aspect of the game on our team.

Wake carving up our D, getting about any shot they want. At the half, Wake up 44-31. McMakin with 19, turnovers continue to pile up, 12 in the half.

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

Final, 94-66. 19 turnovers, lousy 3 pt. shooting, and absent defense told the tale.

That about summed it up, I was unable to watch, just saw the stats. That was a game we should have won. Use it as a learning experience, and we’ll see what they do against BYU.

With nothing on the tube last night, I happened across ESPN+ doing our game against BYU.  And I thought watching A10 men's basketball was hard. Lost 87 to 66 to BYU.  McMakin and Kennedy put up 30 shots, making 8.  Kennedy Calhoun was Polk-esque.  Brutal viewing.  

12 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

With nothing on the tube last night, I happened across ESPN+ doing our game against BYU.  And I thought watching A10 men's basketball was hard. Lost 87 to 66 to BYU.  McMakin and Kennedy put up 30 shots, making 8.  Kennedy Calhoun was Polk-esque.  Brutal viewing.  

McMakin shoots way too much. 

White Pelican and AGB91 like this