Womens Basketball 2023-2024

thetorch

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

What really sucked though was 30 turnovers, not a typo, 30 turnovers. 

Ball State had 22, they capitalized on more of the TOs than we did and that really was what did us in.

Ball State was pressing all game, some of the turnovers were due to that, but hardly all of them. A lot of bad passes, something to work on. Billikens also picked a bad time to go cold shooting in the 4th quarter, they were 21-36 and 3-4 from 3pt range the first 3 quarters, but only 6-17 and 0-3 from 3pt range in the 4th quarter, if they shot like they did in the first 3 quarters they win this. 8 more turnovers led to a 36-22 advantage in points off turnovers for Ball State, very hard to overcome. Kyla McMakin got 22 pts on 50% shooting, and Peyton Kennedy got 20 pts and 11 rebounds (4 offensive rebounds), so great game for her. Clean up the turnovers and avoid the bad shooting quarters, things to work on.

3 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Not clearly, but she was not happy. Also, I have no idea how Peyton Kennedy got that technical. 

That puzzled me as well. The only thing I can think of is that she said something, but otherwise it was BS.

2 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

That puzzled me as well. The only thing I can think of is that she said something, but otherwise it was BS.

Hard to imagine Peyton Kennedy saying something to get a T, but I have no other idea what it could have been. I sure didn’t see her do anything.

41-22 Billkens at the half, shooting has improved over 1st qtr ( nowhere to go but up actually). TO’s under control, 7 for each team, SLU out rebounding them by a ridiculous margin, 31-14. Julia Martinez in only 10 minutes has 6 pts, 8 rebounds, 4 assists. Also, in the first few minutes she nearly wiped out running to the chairs court side chasing a ball. Julia got to be Julia. They are doing what they need to do.

12 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Her name is Julia Martinez.

Yeah, but the rest of the team responded as well. Turnovers down, defense great, rebounding outstanding. Mia Nicastro had the best game she’s had all year, Marcavia Shavers had a good game. Only real down side was Peyton Kennedy didn’t shoot well, but the rest of the team did. Play D like that, crash the boards like that, keep the turnovers down, things should be better. Going to Chaifetz tonight was apparently the correct decision.

Pistol likes this

43 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

First game back from injury: nearly puts up a triple double 

10 points, 9 rebounds, 7 assists, 4 steals, and twice almost crashing into the courtside chairs chasing after a ball, all in 18 minutes, with a big smile on her face all night.

Pistol likes this

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

10 points, 9 rebounds, 7 assists, 4 steals, and twice almost crashing into the courtside chairs chasing after a ball, all in 18 minutes, with a big smile on her face all night.

The 2nd time she landed perfectly on the seat and put her arm around the guy in the seat next to her 🤣 I love her energy.

37-37 tie at the half in Methdale against SIU. SIU is ranked much higher than SLU, and is one of the better teams in forcing turnovers (which has been a problem for SLU), but that seems to be under control, as SLU has 9 TO’s and given up only 5 pts on the turnovers, while they have forced 11 TO’s and gotten 14 pts off those TO’s. Saluki’s have a large rebounding advantage, 25-12, while shooting has been even for both teams, with SLU starting slow in 1st qtr, but picking it up in the 2nd. 

32 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

37-37 tie at the half in Methdale against SIU. SIU is ranked much higher than SLU, and is one of the better teams in forcing turnovers (which has been a problem for SLU), but that seems to be under control, as SLU has 9 TO’s and given up only 5 pts on the turnovers, while they have forced 11 TO’s and gotten 14 pts off those TO’s. Saluki’s have a large rebounding advantage, 25-12, while shooting has been even for both teams, with SLU starting slow in 1st qtr, but picking it up in the 2nd. 

Surprised it's tied with that stats

75-67 loss for SLU, they lost it on bad shooting in the 4th qtr, 2-16, which is not going to get it done. SLU only had 16 TO’s all game, which considering that SIU was in the top 10% of teams in forcing turnovers was pretty good. Not sure where the rebounding went, SIU had 46 to SLU’s 30, which is not a recipe for success. Kyla McMakin and Brooklyn Gray had 15 pts each, Camree Clegg had 11 pts.

Unfortunately the schedule does no favors for the Billikens, next game on the road Dec 16th against #31 Green Bay (and Natalie McNeal, former Billiken) and after that on the road against #76 Illinois State Dec 19th. Tough games to finish to the non-conference schedule.