Jump to content

Billiken Volleyball 2024 - The Beaty Era Begins


Recommended Posts

@willie:  I didn't say cool or not.  The visuals were stunning.  But short of some concocted repeat plan, it won't happen again.  The expressions on the Husker players was fantastic.  Good for them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Taj79 said:

This has got gimmick written all over.  "Come out and help set a Guiness World Record."  I understand women's volleyball is B-I-G in Nebraska and Nebraska has a top five team but the old record for attendance was like 18k to 19k.  Still .... it's a record.

That's only because they were limited to their facility size.  My understanding is that they scheduled this game in the football stadium to give Nebraska fans that wouuld never have a chance to see one of the games (they're always sold out) the opportunity to see one.  Once the tickets sales get over a certain amount, they realized they had a chance for a record and went for it.   However, I don't think that was the goal at first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

That's only because they were limited to their facility size.  My understanding is that they scheduled this game in the football stadium to give Nebraska fans that wouuld never have a chance to see one of the games (they're always sold out) the opportunity to see one.  Once the tickets sales get over a certain amount, they realized they had a chance for a record and went for it.   However, I don't think that was the goal at first.

We'll see something similar when Iowa Hawkeyes girls basketball plays Depaul in a scrimmage at Kinnick football stadium on 15 October.  I bet LSU girls basketball will do something too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Curious question, when I logged in to the Billiken app while waiting for the Women’s soccer game to start, I looked at the schedule and it said that the Volleyball team games on Friday and Saturday would be at St Vincent Park. Is there a problem getting the work done on the Chaifetz Pavilion, or is this just another example of the Billikens athletics dept not paying attention to details?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Curious question, when I logged in to the Billiken app while waiting for the Women’s soccer game to start, I looked at the schedule and it said that the Volleyball team games on Friday and Saturday would be at St Vincent Park. Is there a problem getting the work done on the Chaifetz Pavilion, or is this just another example of the Billikens athletics dept not paying attention to details?

I have no idea but maybe they wanted to take it on the road as a part of community good will. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Makes as much sense as anything I guess

Why wouldn't we play at Bauman Eberhart?  St Vincent facilities are not great and there are much closer courts to campus.  This makes little sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Curious question, when I logged in to the Billiken app while waiting for the Women’s soccer game to start, I looked at the schedule and it said that the Volleyball team games on Friday and Saturday would be at St Vincent Park. Is there a problem getting the work done on the Chaifetz Pavilion, or is this just another example of the Billikens athletics dept not paying attention to details?

St Vincent park is where the Billiken Cross Country meet was held.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

St Vincent park is where the Billiken Cross Country meet was held.

Very true. It is still up there, go to the Billiken App, click on the rewards tab, and check out the future events, and it still says St Vincent Park for both the matches against VCU Friday and Saturday. I think they play at the Pavilion as normal, but this is more inattention to detail on the part of the Billiken Athletic Dept. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like there is a women’s volleyball game this Saturday at 2pm versus VCU. Think I may take my 9 year-old daughter and some of her vball teammates to the game so they can watch (and learn from) some skilled players! I’ve never been to a game before but it looks like all tickets are GA. Any tips for a first timer or is it basically just buy some tickets, sit wherever, eat some snacks, and have a good time?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Looks like there is a women’s volleyball game this Saturday at 2pm versus VCU. Think I may take my 9 year-old daughter and some of her vball teammates to the game so they can watch (and learn from) some skilled players! I’ve never been to a game before but it looks like all tickets are GA. Any tips for a first timer or is it basically just buy some tickets, sit wherever, eat some snacks, and have a good time?

Sounds about right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Looks like there is a women’s volleyball game this Saturday at 2pm versus VCU. Think I may take my 9 year-old daughter and some of her vball teammates to the game so they can watch (and learn from) some skilled players! I’ve never been to a game before but it looks like all tickets are GA. Any tips for a first timer or is it basically just buy some tickets, sit wherever, eat some snacks, and have a good time?

As billikenbill says that's about right. I will be there as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went to the match today, it was fun. SLU was in it, but just fell short. Question though, did they reduce the seating capacity in Chaifetz Pavillion when they worked on it this summer? The SLU athletic website says it has a seating capacity of 800, the box score said attendance was 450, however the place sure seemed a lot closer to full than half empty sitting there. A quick look at the replay from last night, and from the various TV angles it looked pretty full, yet last night’s box score said the attendance was 525. Did they reduce seating capacity? I thought all they did was install a new floor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Went to the match today, it was fun. SLU was in it, but just fell short. Question though, did they reduce the seating capacity in Chaifetz Pavillion when they worked on it this summer? The SLU athletic website says it has a seating capacity of 800, the box score said attendance was 450, however the place sure seemed a lot closer to full than half empty sitting there. A quick look at the replay from last night, and from the various TV angles it looked pretty full, yet last night’s box score said the attendance was 525. Did they reduce seating capacity? I thought all they did was install a new floor.

I wonder how many games in a row it says 450, wouldn’t suprise me if they just copy and paste.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The girls and I had a blast at our first game. Win or lose, the games appear to be very entertaining. I was shocked at how crowded it was. Definitely closer to 800 than 400 if max capacity is 800. Only complaint would be the complete lack of signage directing spectators to the game, especially for first timers. It was only made worse by all of the families going to Disney on Ice. We (along with several other people that were utterly confused) finally found our way to the entrance (behind construction fencing) after seeing some students walking in. 

cgeldmacher and AGB91 like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

The girls and I had a blast at our first game. Win or lose, the games appear to be very entertaining. I was shocked at how crowded it was. Definitely closer to 800 than 400 if max capacity is 800. Only complaint would be the complete lack of signage directing spectators to the game, especially for first timers. It was only made worse by all of the families going to Disney on Ice. We (along with several other people that were utterly confused) finally found our way to the entrance (behind construction fencing) after seeing some students walking in. 

It’s highly entertaining, and probably a fairly cheap thing to do for a family. Same can be said for Billiken home women’s soccer games and Billiken home women’s basketball games, for the price you pay and the entertainment you get it’s a good family value. They should be wrapping up the construction soon, better signage pointing the way to the Volleyball game isn’t a bad idea (maybe a sign above the doors the want you to enter and signs pointing out the way to the entrance inside the building?). Enjoy the games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I made a roadie to VA to see some SLU sports this weekend.   Didn’t make to soccer game last night but am hitting the VB game tonight.  The first set was absolutely horrendous.  The Bills passing was really crappy.   They cleaned up their act in the 2nd.   Delaney Rice got on an extended service run and the controlled the  whole way.   Hopefully they can carry that forward here in the 2nd half.  

billikenfan05 likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back at Mason for Round 2.   Driving around I noticed that this campus is pretty large.  Then looked it up..they have 40,000 enrollment with 91% acceptance rate.  Not very impressive.  Are they Virginia’s version of Missouri State?   Not sure why I assumed they were somewhat more prestigious.   Anyway, it would be fun to sweep them! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...