Porter to ND?

BANGheGOTit

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Lando Griffin said:

That would piss me off bc I loved Porter at Loyola and hate ND.  I was really hoping there was a path to him at SLU…

I’m with you on every single aspect.  I just can’t root for ND, but hate to see him fail.  Maybe Chaifetz wants to win and has a extra $20M to help buy everyone out and pay some salary…or maybe this team drives him insane and he writes a huge check.  I saw a preview of a dog that was left millions or a billion $$$—just saying you never know

10 hours ago, Lando Griffin said:

I will say, if it’s not working out for Moser in the Big 12/OU I’m not sure it gets any better by taking the ND job in the ACC.

His brand of basketball is 4 year hard working winners.  More mid major ball IMO.

At least this year the big 12 is far superior to the ACC. 

ive always said moser is a mediocre floor coach at best that had two outstanding years at loyola with the perfect floor players to suit his mindset.  beyond that (without looking it up) his record of wins and losses are not the outstanding one would think from reading this board.  i like moser as a person.   i like moser as a recruiting assistant, but in reality i think head coach is one step above his right place in college basketball.   

i do admire his ability to speak as fondly for rickma as he does.   the stories ive heard about their relationship arent conducive to that response from porter and i wish i could be as diplomatic in life.   good for porter as a person.   hat's off to him.

SLU_Lax and AGB91 like this

10 hours ago, Lando Griffin said:

I will say, if it’s not working out for Moser in the Big 12/OU I’m not sure it gets any better by taking the ND job in the ACC.

His brand of basketball is 4 year hard working winners.  More mid major ball IMO.

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Porter hasn't done well at Oklahoma. He is a good cultural fit at ND, but he still lacks any measure of success without Krutwig on a roster. 

On one hand - finishing near the bottom of the league can't be considered success & he may well not be at OU very long.  On the other, Big 12 last season & this season has been an especially stacked conference.  Oklahoma finished 30th in KenPom in 2021-22 and is 55th this season.  Those would be the 2nd and 4th highest finishes of Porter's career (2017-18 Loy-Chi final four team finished 31st & 2020-21 sweet 16 was 10th, highest any other season was 86th his final year 2006-07 at Illinois State).  IMO it would have been unreasonable to expect Porter to do better than he has so far.

Overall Porter's OU teams have been good / not great, but that's a recipe for a finish near the bottom of the current Big 12.  The level of success he seems capable of attaining would be a better fit in the ACC

Since 2002 here the highest cumulative conference efficiency margins according to KenPom:

1. 2003-04 ACC 20.32

2. 2016-17 Big 12 19.81

3. 2022-23 Big 12 18.79

4. 2021-22 Big 12 18.74

5. 2020-21 Big Ten 18.68

6. 2018-19 Big 12 17.68

7. 2012-13 Big Ten 17.54

8. 2015-16 Big 12 17.51

29 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Just to stir the pot here.. Fords B12 winning % .441, Porters B12 .346

Big 12 average adj efficiency during Travis Ford's tenure at OSU: 15.32.  Average during Porter's tenure: 18.76.

52 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

ive always said moser is a mediocre floor coach at best that had two outstanding years at loyola with the perfect floor players to suit his mindset.  beyond that (without looking it up) his record of wins and losses are not the outstanding one would think from reading this board.  i like moser as a person.   i like moser as a recruiting assistant, but in reality i think head coach is one step above his right place in college basketball.   

i do admire his ability to speak as fondly for rickma as he does.   the stories ive heard about their relationship arent conducive to that response from porter and i wish i could be as diplomatic in life.   good for porter as a person.   hat's off to him.

One great player was the difference between a Final Four appearance, and great period of success Vs being a mediocre Mid-major team??  There are 200+ mid majors out of the 300+ D1 programs.  Sounds like he’s a great coach if he can take that team to a Final Four Vs the field of 300+ schools.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

On one hand - finishing near the bottom of the league can't be considered success & he may well not be at OU very long.  On the other, Big 12 last season & this season has been an especially stacked conference.  Oklahoma finished 30th in KenPom in 2021-22 and is 55th this season.  Those would be the 2nd and 4th highest finishes of Porter's career (2017-18 Loy-Chi final four team finished 31st & 2020-21 sweet 16 was 10th, highest any other season was 86th his final year 2006-07 at Illinois State).  IMO it would have been unreasonable to expect Porter to do better than he has so far.

Overall Porter's OU teams have been good / not great, but that's a recipe for a finish near the bottom of the current Big 12.  The level of success he seems capable of attaining would be a better fit in the ACC

I agree that 1 1/2 years in isn't a reasonable measuring stick. He also took over a really strong program from Kruger. Oklahoma expectations are NCAA, not NIT. Top of the conference, not bottom.

The level of the conference is all relative. No matter what conference you're in, you should have the reasonable goal of finishing towards the top. Iowa State is near the top of the conference. TCU is in the middle. Kansas State is near the top in year 1 of a coaching change. Texas fired a guy and is still near the top. These aren't blue blood programs. Outside of Texas and KU, Oklahoma probably has the most resources geared towards basketball. 

Porter is a good dude. Just don't think oklahoma is going to work out. Not sure ND will unless he gets himself another Krutwig type talent. 

HoosierPal likes this

3 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I agree that 1 1/2 years in isn't a reasonable measuring stick. He also took over a really strong program from Kruger. Oklahoma expectations are NCAA, not NIT. Top of the conference, not bottom.

The level of the conference is all relative. No matter what conference you're in, you should have the reasonable goal of finishing towards the top. Iowa State is near the top of the conference. TCU is in the middle. Kansas State is near the top in year 1 of a coaching change. Texas fired a guy and is still near the top. These aren't blue blood programs. Outside of Texas and KU, Oklahoma probably has the most resources geared towards basketball. 

Porter is a good dude. Just don't think oklahoma is going to work out. Not sure ND will unless he gets himself another Krutwig type talent. 

Not a Porter Moser fan we get it.  You may end up being 100% accurate, but Porter beat some really good teams in that stretch of success at Loyola.  I guess it was all Krutwig though.  Apparently no other real good teams that they beat had a similarly great player like Krutwig (let alone a roster loaded with multiple very good players).  

3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Doing really well as the coach of a mid major and then getting a big pay day to coach a Power 5 school in Oklahoma only to struggle at the Oklahoma Power 5 school due to the step up in competition sounds vaguely familiar.

This was my slight joke earlier.  It really is the same steps as Ford.  At first I was really into Porter, but im not anymore. Not saying it would be a disappointing hire by any means. 

Porter’s teams at Loyola were all veteran teams.  He said his recruiting vision was to not necessarily recruit guys who are 5* but are just winners at their high schools.

Those Loyola teams bought into the pick and roll and did it to perfection, which if I go back to the GDT everyone was complaining about.  

The guy would also respect what Majeraus did and would bring some energy and coaching. 

18 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

Porter’s teams at Loyola were all veteran teams.  He said his recruiting vision was to not necessarily recruit guys who are 5* but are just winners at their high schools.

Those Loyola teams bought into the pick and roll and did it to perfection, which if I go back to the GDT everyone was complaining about.  

The guy would also respect what Majeraus did and would bring some energy and coaching. 

Definitely a porter fan but I think Chris Macke is the guy. He has had success in the A-10, didn’t have a very good run or experience at a power five school and the expectation at SLU Could be attractive to a quality coach who doesn’t want to deal with power5 pressure.

DeSmetBilliken likes this

6 minutes ago, BANGheGOTit said:

Does this team care that they could get their coach fired? I’m just curious if that even enters their mind? Not that I am advocating this happen, but is there a scenario where Corey Tate is the next coach either on a interim basis or because the school is trying to go cheap?

I was unimpressed with Tate's call at the end of the game that Ford got ejected. 

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

One would think ND would want to make a flashier hire than Porter. I could see them making a run at Jay Wright and lure him out of retirement. 

I haven’t heard recently, but it seems like years ago Ben Jacobson seem to be very content at Northern Iowa. The same can be said for Dana Altman at Creighton but then he ended up leaving. Most coaches say they are happy but how many truly are? I do remember Altman turning down a better job… Not saying SLU is a better job the northern Iowa but on paper it seems like it would. With a higher profile comes higher expectations though and I haven’t done enough research to know how he recruits… But does that matter with the NIL situation as it is now?