The Bills over RI by 12

The Wiz

8 minutes ago, BANGheGOTit said:

If Jimmerson misses that shot are we talking about Jimmerson missing or are talking about the 3 or 4 straight hero ball possessions by Yuri to close out the game?

We are talking about a Win. Period.  Your question is an improper hypothetical, as it assumes facts not in evidence. 

Enough of the negativity.  Are you Factionistas disappointed SLU won? That is the question for you to answer. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

We are talking about a Win. Period.  Your question is an improper hypothetical, as it assumes facts not in evidence. 

Enough of the negativity.  Are you Factionistas disappointed SLU won? That is the question for you to answer. 

Two things can be true at the same time.  You can be glad we won but also not happy with the effort.

billiken_roy likes this

12 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

We are talking about a Win. Period. 

Enough of the negativity.  Are you Factionistas disappointed SLU won? 

Yes, it took a huge 3 from Jimmerson to pull it off.  Hopefully that gives him the ice in the veins mentality to be “the guy” so we don’t have to watch that crap Yuri pulled.  Glad they won, but at home against RI who has a terrible NET, after Ford comes on the radio saying he knows fans are frustrated—if this is the response this team comes out with it’s worrisome. RI missed 9 FT, SLU wasn’t much better, but it’s fair to be critical.  Hero ball is the achilles heel late in games for this team.  If this season doesn’t end with a A10 tournament win I don’t care if they win 16 or 24.  The chance at a At-Large bid for the A10 probably is toast after VCU lost.  That was the best chance for a second bid-VCU win out and lose in the A10 championship.

1 minute ago, BANGheGOTit said:

Yes, it took a huge 3 from Jimmerson to pull it off.  Hopefully that gives him the ice in the veins mentality to be “the guy” so we don’t have to watch that crap Yuri pulled.  Glad they won, but at home against RI who has a terrible NET, after Ford comes on the radio saying he knows fans are frustrated—if this is the response this team comes out with it’s worrisome. RI missed 9 FT, SLU wasn’t much better, but it’s fair to be critical.  Hero ball is the achilles heel late in games for this team.  If this season doesn’t end with a A10 tournament win I don’t care if they win 16 or 24.  The chance at a At-Large bid for the A10 probably is toast after VCU lost.  That was the best chance for a second bid-VCU win out and lose in the A10 championship.

Be happy SLU won. SLU is 8-3 in the A10, in 2nd Place, 1/2 game behind the flawed leader, with 7 games to play, and with a good chance to get the Double Bye. 

24 minutes ago, BANGheGOTit said:

If Jimerson misses that shot are we talking about Jimerson missing or are talking about the 3 or 4 straight hero ball possessions by Yuri to close out the game?

Hero ball possessions. Jimerson at times takes questionable shots but that was a good look. The problem is without Perk being able to utilize the mid-range jumper off the curl or take his man one on one, there just aren't a lot of other options.

26 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

We are talking about a Win. Period. 

Enough of the negativity.  Are you Factionistas disappointed SLU won? 

Golly, what a super showing by the home team!  Rah rah. Onward and upward to victory!  We’ll surely be the best in the end and bring the championship home.  That BS sound better?  The “We are talking about a Win. Period” mentality is the problem too many fans have.  You can be critical in a win or loss.  When there are issues against a RI, those flaws may not cost you, but you better FIX them.  Too many people are happy with a top 4 finish getting 21 wins, and making the NIT.   Raise your f@chin standards.

The Valley Sucks likes this

50 minutes ago, BANGheGOTit said:

Golly, what a super showing by the home team!  Rah rah. Onward and upward to victory!  We’ll surely be the best in the end and bring the championship home.  That BS sound better?  The “We are talking about a Win. Period” mentality is the problem too many fans have.  You can be critical in a win or loss.  When there are issues against a RI, those flaws may not cost you, but you better FIX them.  Too many people are happy with a top 4 finish getting 21 wins, and making the NIT.   Raise your f@chin standards.

You still haven’t answered the relevant question. Are you avoiding it?  Are you disappointed SLU won? 

Do you think adding invective helps your cause? Here’s a hint- it does not. 

How about just letting the season play out?  The dissent of the factionistas breeds more negativism and is probably counterproductive at this point.

Booing the team at home does not aid the cause. 

When you settle the whole thing out, there are two unexpected problems with this team that most of us, except for old guy, assumed wouldn't be problems. By conference play, we all expected to see the Perk of '20-21 with his reliable jumper, George Gervin-like drives to the hoop, and some explosive dunks. We also thought Franco would continue the development seen in conference play last year which would include nice post moves, decent shooting touch, made free throws, and few silly fouls/turnovers. Everyone else is who we thought they would be while Forrester is a little better than expected.

Without the Perk and Franco we envisioned, this team has neither the size or quickness to make up for what Perk and Franco aren't bringing. Finishing strong and winning the A-10 tourney depend on those two getting it together and playing like we hoped. Odds are it won't happen and even an NIT bid is questionable.

majerus mojo likes this

On 2/5/2023 at 11:44 AM, BANGheGOTit said:

Your computer doesn’t show the lack of intestinal fortitude and helter skelter personality of this current roster and coach (I do believe Travis bleeds blue, and I do believe he desperately wants to win—he just doesn’t have the X’s and O’s Capability he needs with this group).  This stinks from the HC on down.  You can find gold nuggets in the middle of mud and rocks, so there are some positives on the staff and roster, but when the team loses, there’s always a long excuse.  “If only”, “likely wont happen again”, “shot lights out”, blah blah—-it’s always the same.  This team finds that one or two ways to lose.  After this many failed opportunities it’s time to just admit this team and program are on the bubble—and not the one any of

IMO the biggest problem with this team is not the coach. Yes, he might be an average coach technically, but that is not why this team is struggling.  The reasons IMO in no particular order ....

- Perkins was expected to be an all-conference type player.  He is struggling with his injury recovery.  He is a liability on the floor most of the time.  Love Perkins but he can't be more than a role player, start Parker.

- Lost the "glue" guy and best defender, Thatch.

- Pickett is hurt.  At the beginning of the season he was awesome, now average.  Back injuries are difficult to fix.

- No point back-up point guard is killing this team and two Bigs is not enough.  Need a real power forward.

Add all that up plus having an average bench coach = an average team.  This team needs either a healthy Pickett or a rejuvenated Perkins to have a chance in the A10 Tourney.

I just looked at Rhody's roster.  The only player running out of eligibility is Martin.  They have three incoming freshmen.  Of course, some on the current roster will jump into the portal.  But the team you saw last night could reappear next season.  They won't be a 14th place team next season.

41 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

You still haven’t answered the relevant question. Are you avoiding it?  Are you disappointed SLU won? 

How about just letting the season play out?  The dissent of the factionistas breeds more negativism and is probably counterproductive at this point.

As a Billiken fan we always want the team to win. But I will say it once again, if this team does not win the NCAA bid as the conference tournament champion I don’t care if they go 9-0 or whatever the rest of the way if they lose in the championship game. It does not matter. I’m sick and tired of NIT bids! Am I clear? Do I need to be more clear? NIT bids suck! Maybe I can say it another way… I don’t care if my school or my team that I root for goes 29-1 if that loss keeps me out of the NCAA tournament.  If I am a Creighton fan or a Louisville fan who consistently goes to the tournament and we have a rebuilding year and we miss the tournament I can deal with that, but when you get one tournament every seven or eight years possibly every 10 years and you have what is supposed to be your best chance to go – – and you perform like this, it’s unacceptable! Now do you know where I stand yet?

11 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

IMO the biggest problem with this team is not the coach. Yes, he might be an average coach technically, but that is not why this team is struggling.  The reasons IMO in no particular order ....

- Perkins was expected to be an all-conference type player.  He is struggling with his injury recovery.  He is a liability on the floor most of the time.  Love Perkins but he can't be more than a role player, start Parker.

- Lost the "glue" guy and best defender, Thatch.

- Pickett is hurt.  At the beginning of the season he was awesome, now average.  Back injuries are difficult to fix.

- No point back-up point guard is killing this team and two Bigs is not enough.  Need a real power forward.

Add all that up plus having an average bench coach = an average team.  This team needs either a healthy Pickett or a rejuvenated Perkins to have a chance in the A10 Tourney.

After watching this latest post game press conference, I actually feel sorry for Travis.  I think he is really struggling with this particular bunch of guys. I almost can’t wait for this particular roster the way it is made up to be done. I hope the team can retain certain players and certain recruits, but they have to find a true leader. TJ brings the fire but they still need someone to step up and be the guy and who knows maybe he can next season but they’re still going to need that Part of the equation that seems to be lacking the season. Maybe that missing part of the equation this year is Perkins’ knee.  They still need that next season.

2 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Correction, they beat us on turnovers by 2. We had 16, Rhody 14.

Corrected it...I turned the numbers over(reversed them...a TO for The Wiz)(Late game...Late  night)...but my final point is even more valid...we were close enough in TOs to win but it cost us the spread. Going from 2 TOs over to 2 under would have added 9 pts to the spread and we win by 14 instead of 5 and get some NET help. But the win was important too ...tied for 1st again on the lost side.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Two things can be true at the same time.  You can be glad we won but also not happy with the effort.

that was not a good rhodey team.   for that game to come down to the under a minute tied is horrible.  but as cheese states, sure glad we won.

i will also say that we hurried to our car to listen to ford on the postgame, i dont think he even mentioned jimerson or really anything good.   you would have sworn we lost again.   my gosh ford, take some courses on motivation and inspiring your team.

anyone else question how every sports team at slu apparently has just about the entire roster on the honor roll?   amazing and really the highlight of the night!

HoosierPal likes this

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

that was not a good rhodey team.   for that game to come down to the under a minute tied is horrible.  but as cheese states, sure glad we won.

i will also say that we hurried to our car to listen to ford on the postgame, i dont think he even mentioned jimerson or really anything good.   you would have sworn we lost again.   my gosh ford, take some courses on motivation and inspiring your team.

anyone else question how every sports team at slu apparently has just about the entire roster on the honor roll?   amazing and really the highlight of the night!

Gives true meaning to the phrase...student athlete.

billiken_roy likes this

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I think it is evident that Travis is almost at a loss as to why this team can’t seem to put it all together. I bet if he was honest, he may admit that this particular roster this particular team Might be one of the most frustrating he has ever had in his career but that’s just my speculation.

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Lake Wobegone?  Just a thought

8 minutes ago, BANGheGOTit said:

I think it is evident that Travis is almost at a loss as to why this team can’t seem to put it all together. I bet if he was honest, he may admit that this particular roster this particular team Might be one of the most frustrating he has ever had in his career but that’s just my speculation.

Probably true but he constructed it so the buck stops with him

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Look BAB. The amount of money SLU spends to be struggling with this horrible Archie miller team is unacceptable. 200+ NET teams should be getting handled and destroyed. We lost to VCU. We lost the big game.

D2 level $&#@ here. F that. 2.4 million dollars for 1 tourney in 6 years is unacceptable.

This team is never going to get an at-large bid under Ford. We may win the conference tournament. It may happen. It doesn't change the chronic lacklustre performance of this program.

On your logic we should go D2 and dominate every year. What a great win. Have grandma knit the boys a $&#@ing sweater.

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

And one can be wrong and one can be correct at the same time. Further, the effort was not the problem. 

The factionistas are starting to act like Philly Phans.

No - if two things can  be true at the same time then one can not be false  - your logic escapes me.  Also the term effort is broad and can not just mean how hard a team played but how they continued to let a team back in because of their defensive lapses and poor offensive performances at times.  Those lapses can offset the physical effort you may see - once again, two things can be true at the same time.