The Bills over RI by 12

The Wiz

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Probably true but he constructed it so the buck stops with him

I wonder if this changes who he goes after in the off-season? It’s pretty clear that Yuri will not be back.  Is Larry Junior as a sophomore next season that floor general that is missing this year?  This team needs someone who is able to keep the offense in rhythm

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

that was not a good rhodey team.   for that game to come down to the under a minute tied is horrible.  but as cheese states, sure glad we won.

i will also say that we hurried to our car to listen to ford on the postgame, i dont think he even mentioned jimerson or really anything good.   you would have sworn we lost again.   my gosh ford, take some courses on motivation and inspiring your team.

anyone else question how every sports team at slu apparently has just about the entire roster on the honor roll?   amazing and really the highlight of the night!

He should have been upset, just like we are.

For being the best SLU PG ever we are at most gonna get one tourney appearance. Should I count the NIT games after he didn't play and we got blasted at home by UNI? Reality is that buck stops at Ford.

He will be back next year, he has another chance to redeem himself. Rosters are year-to-year and transfer portal is where impact will come from. Will Ford deliver guys who can round out a roster and win? We will see next year. And next. He's good enough to not get fired, not good enough to deliver what we really want.

BC1764 likes this

17 minutes ago, BANGheGOTit said:

I think it is evident that Travis is almost at a loss as to why this team can’t seem to put it all together. I bet if he was honest, he may admit that this particular roster this particular team Might be one of the most frustrating he has ever had in his career but that’s just my speculation.

might not be so bad if he actually used the talent he has assembled correctly instead of everynight shoving a square peg in a round hole.   that and the whole yuri hero ball thing again.  🙄

Soderball and cheeseman like this

2 minutes ago, BANGheGOTit said:

I wonder if this changes who he goes after in the off-season? It’s pretty clear that Yuri will not be back.  Is Larry Junior as a sophomore next season that floor general that is missing this year?  This team needs someone who is able to keep the offense in rhythm

Don't forget he has a freshman coming in from back east who is suppose to be a good point guard.  I am not sure what Ford will do but he is the one making 2.4 million not me so I don't have to stay up at night thinking about it.  The problem is after the VCU came I did lay awake thinking about it.

Just now, billiken_roy said:

might not be so bad if he actually used the talent he has assembled correctly instead of everynight shoving a square peg in a round hole.   that and the whole yuri hero ball thing again.  🙄

He misuses the roster and his rotations suck. It took until last night for Parker to finally get more minutes than Perkins, and it took Parker shooting 50% and Perkins shooting 20% to do it. Ford has no ability to change or make adjustments to best utilize the players he has. He insists on watching injured guys limp around the floor. He doesn't care about the defense nor the pace of play despite coachspeak in after action reports of the rolling disaster that is this season. It's awful.

I'm a big believer that your bench is your biggest support in-game.  One of my favorite things to do is watch not just our bench, the visitors bench, the teams on tv, anyone.  Our bench sits on their hands. They are so bored.  The Bonnies game might be the most vocal and excited as I've seen them in a long time, and that our only blowout win.. Point is, its easy for the bench to get involved, and its most frustrating that no one is telling them to be louder. 

2 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

We are talking about a Win. Period.  Your question is an improper hypothetical, as it assumes facts not in evidence. 

Enough of the negativity.  Are you Factionistas disappointed SLU won? That is the question for you to answer. 

"Factionistas"

Blast from the past. Did you post on BOTB then ?

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I agree 100%. I’m so sick of hearing about how deep the roster is how we’re going to play a up-tempo offense, blah blah blah.  This team can score, but it’s not a sure thing.  One of the most frustrating things to watch with Ford is the utilization or lack there of, of his roster

7 minutes ago, Soderball said:

He misuses the roster and his rotations suck. It took until last night for Parker to finally get more minutes than Perkins, and it took Parker shooting 50% and Perkins shooting 20% to do it. Ford has no ability to change or make adjustments to best utilize the players he has. He insists on watching injured guys limp around the floor. He doesn't care about the defense nor the pace of play despite coachspeak in after action reports of the rolling disaster that is this season. It's awful.

I’m sure a lot of rosters around the country are similar, but it sure seems that Travis will recruit someone, they rot on the bench and inevitably they transfer.   There have been enough guys rotate out of this program to field a competitive D one team and here we are every single year with a seven man rotation

billiken_roy likes this

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

I'm a big believer that your bench is your biggest support in-game.  One of my favorite things to do is watch not just our bench, the visitors bench, the teams on tv, anyone.  Our bench sits on their hands. They are so bored.  The Bonnies game might be the most vocal and excited as I've seen them in a long time, and that our only blowout win.. Point is, its easy for the bench to get involved, and its most frustrating that no one is telling them to be louder. 

I'd be back on board if he would announce, finally, that his player utilization and player rotations have been ineffective and he planned to change them.

It would go a long way if he would take some responsibility rather than just blast the "lack of enthusiasm" or whatever the new coachspeak commentary is.

Majerus blamed players regularly, absolutely, but he also designed plays and rotations designed to maximize that roster for what it was. He recruited players that made a basketball team, not a talent show.

Ford needs a page outta that playbook. I want to watch BASKETBALL, not "Points"

Just now, Soderball said:

I'd be back on board if he would announce, finally, that his player utilization and player rotations have been ineffective and he planned to change them.

It would go a long way if he would take some responsibility rather than just blast the "lack of enthusiasm" or whatever the new coachspeak commentary is.

Majerus blamed players regularly, absolutely, but he also designed plays and rotations designed to maximize that roster for what it was. He recruited players that made a basketball team, not a talent show.

Ford needs a page outta that playbook. I want to watch BASKETBALL, not "Points"

Ya but this has nothing to do with what I said, lol. 

2 hours ago, Adman said:

Here’s the post game press conference. 

Thanks - same stuff he said on the radio.  He just can not figure it out and he says all the same things each time with no change of behavior by him.  Don't keep digging the hole in the same place and expecting to find the treasure.

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Nothing brings me more joy than watching a white boy walk on so far down the bench he’s practically in the stands take an arrow out of his quiver and shoot it into the air before putting a 👌🏽 up to his eye after a teammate drains a 3 while down by 25 points. Agree though, bench should always be involved. I will say I’ve heard them on tv yelling after a made 3 during road games. 

1 minute ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Nothing brings me more joy than watching a white boy walk on so far down the bench he’s practically in the stands take an arrow out of his quiver and shoot it into the air before putting a 👌🏽 up to his eye after a teammate drains a 3 while down by 25 points. 

PREACH.  

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Ya but this has nothing to do with what I said, lol. 

If you want people to buy in, they need something to buy into. Ford's been selling "team blue" .. what the heck is it? He's been great with branding and lacking with product.

Brand will get us past LaSalle and SIU Carbondale. It won't get us past VCU and Auburn. I watched us put a whooping down on Memphis at the start of the year. What the heck happened since then?

Just now, Soderball said:

If you want people to buy in, they need something to buy into. Ford's been selling "team blue" .. what the heck is it? He's been great with branding and lacking with product.

Brand will get us past LaSalle and SIU Carbondale. It won't get us past VCU and Auburn. I watched us put a whooping down on Memphis at the start of the year. What the heck happened since then?

I get that, but what I said was I wanna see the bench cheer on the players more. they sit their quiet.  they should be hootin and hollerin

3 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Nothing brings me more joy than watching a white boy walk on so far down the bench he’s practically in the stands take an arrow out of his quiver and shoot it into the air before putting a 👌🏽 up to his eye after a teammate drains a 3 while down by 25 points. Agree though, bench should always be involved. I will say I’ve heard them on tv yelling after a made 3 during road games. 

It may just be more validation that this team isn’t really a “team”.  The PG who set the A10 record for turnovers last night doesn’t seem to make those around him much better.  I’d love to got back the last 20 years and see who got the bulk of time at PG for a given era and compare that player to Yuri.  That would require way too much effort on my part, but I can think of quite a few guys I would gladly replace Yuri with and I’m sure the team would have more success with.  Stats don’t make you the best.  Be a leader.

1 minute ago, BANGheGOTit said:

It may just be more validation that this team isn’t really a “team”.  The PG who set the A10 record for turnovers last night doesn’t seem to make those around him much better.

This isnt fair.  You cant be a high assists player and not have a lot of TO.  All the players Yuri passed up to finish #1 in TO are the same players passed up to be #1 in assists. 

Isn’t our bench basically, as Taj would say, Parker, Hughes and pray for rain? With Pickett’s not being quite right and Cisse’s rawness, we have Thames injured, Rivera out for season, Thatch out for good, Kramer redshirt, and two walk-ons.

32 minutes ago, BANGheGOTit said:

Doesn't mean it can't happen but they are no longer using  Larry as the primary back up. Parker brought up the ball when he and Larry were in the game at the same time. 

Just now, juniorbill76 said:

Isn’t our bench basically, as Taj would say, Parker, Hughes and pray for rain? With Pickett’s not being quite right and Cisse’s rawness, we have Thames injured, Rivera out for season, Thatch out for good, Kramer redshirt, and two walk-ons.

yea pretty much, plus Jake. 

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I get that, but what I said was I wanna see the bench cheer on the players more. they sit their quiet.  they should be hootin and hollerin

The guys are pros who get paid through NIL deals and so on. They have private chefs at the upcoming "basketball palace" ... This stuff is pretty old hat IMO. The college athlete of today is not the college athlete of 20 years ago. They have to get minutes if they want to showcase and play for(more) money not just in the US but overseas.

It also means that players are not inoculated against legit criticism anymore. "I'm a man, I'm 40" is also old hat stuff now.

1 minute ago, Soderball said:

The guys are pros who get paid through NIL deals and so on. They have private chefs at the upcoming "basketball palace" ... This stuff is pretty old hat IMO. The college athlete of today is not the college athlete of 20 years ago. They have to get minutes if they want to showcase and play for(more) money not just in the US but overseas.

It also means that players are not inoculated against legit criticism anymore. "I'm a man, I'm 40" is also old hat stuff now.

I am sooo confused on every reply.  The only thing I've talked about is the bench players need to be more vocal and cheer on the team.  You keep responding with NIL deals and teams not buying into Ford.