Women's Basketball 2022-2023

Pistol

Just now, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

And the year before we had one of the biggest covid layoffs of any D-I team in the country, so we played fewer games. This is why it was so shocking that they let go of Stone.

Yeah, the players who could play (the ones who weren’t injured) never gave up. I remember the St Joseph’s game, only 6 players, down by 5 with 5 minutes left, and they pulled out a win. Hard to win with a bench of 1 or 2. Where last year went off the rails was the transfer of Rachel Kent in the off-season (one of the best 3 pt shooters in the league) and the season ( and career ending) injury to Myriama Smith Traore, who really complimented Brooke Flowers inside. Then a rash of injuries like I’ve never seen, a new player going down weekly.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Yeah, the players who could play (the ones who weren’t injured) never gave up. I remember the St Joseph’s game, only 6 players, down by 5 with 5 minutes left, and they pulled out a win. Hard to win with a bench of 1 or 2. Where last year went off the rails was the transfer of Rachel Kent in the off-season (one of the best 3 pt shooters in the league) and the season ( and career ending) injury to Myriama Smith Traore, who really complimented Brooke Flowers inside. Then a rash of injuries like I’ve never seen, a new player going down weekly.

Yeah it was super difficult but amazing that they pulled out wins with a short bench.

23 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Yeah, I wasn't gonna go there but I agree.

I was a big Stone supporter since she always remembered me and she and my friends had a good rapport. That's part of the reason I usually bring it up. I feel like they had it better than they realized, even in down years.

Also, I have to mention that those 6 or 7 available players were only a few starters and some end of bench players. I was there for one of the 7 player wins and the 6 player win. It's still hard to believe. Yeah, I don't think they appreciated what they had.

7 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I gotta be honest, watching this team is much more frustrating than last.

Early on, I said to a friend: "At least the Lisa Stone teams were entertaining even when they were losing." Maybe it's rose-colored glasses; honestly I just think we've gone in a weird direction, but I'm happy for Brooke, Julia, Kyla, and Mia.

36 minutes ago, courtside said:

It’s too bad Rebecca Tillett didn’t get a chance to try to keep former SLU commit Mackenzie Hare. She’s the Big East Freshman of the week this week, and she has potential. 

That’s the risk you take when you change your head coach.  We also had a pretty good pipeline for talent from the Chicago Area and Wisconsin under Coach Stone.  Hopefully Associate Head Coach Tiffany Sardin, with her experience at UIC and Chicago State can help keep talent coming from that area. The commitment of Mia Bergstrom from St Viator in Arlington Heights, IL says people in the Chicago Area still know about the Billikens.

75-61 Billiken win on the road over the Bonnie’s. Double-double for Brooke Flowers, 16 pts 12 rebounds. 4 Billikens in double figures, Kyla McMakin 17 pts, Brooke Flowers and Peyton Kennedy 16 pts each, 11 for Mia Nicastro. Julia Martinez got 10 rebounds, but also turned it over 9 times. Peyton Kennedy got 9 rebounds, one short of a double-double for her. Great FT shooting by the Billikens, 18-20. While team 3 pt shooting wasn’t good, Kiley Bess put in 21 minutes and was 3-4 from 3 pt range for 9 points.  She got 21 minutes this game, the most for her by far since she was injured last year. The Billikens need a 3 pt shooter, so if she’s hitting from that range please find a way to keep her in the game.  Now at 5-5 in league play, and the schedule looking favorable the rest of the way, a winning conference records seems within reach.

Right now, the Billikens have five conference games left.  Two are against teams with a better record in conference.  Three are against teams with a worse record in conference.  One is against a team with about the same record which is 5-4 LaSalle.  If they win the games against the teams with worse records, lose to the teams with better records, and pull out a win against LaSalle, they will finish 9-7 in Atlantic 10 play.

Here is what I find interesting.  If that happens, Tillet's record in her first season would be equal to or better than seven of Stone's ten seasons at SLU.  Here are Stone's conference records in her ten seasons:

21-22 (5-9); 20-21 (9-3); 19-20 (9-7); 18-19 (9-7); 17-18 (9-7); 16-17 (12-4); 15-16 (13-3); 14-15 (7-9); 13-14 (7-9); 12-13 (5-9) 

A 9 pt win on the road I’ll take. 74-65 Billikens win. Camree Clegg 20 pts, 6-10 from 3pt range. Julia Martinez 13 pts 8 rebounds, Peyton Kennedy 11 pts, Brooke Flowers 9 rebounds.  They are now 6-5 in A10 play. Keep up the momentum, the next game against GW will be an interesting test.

Just now, Lord Elrond said:

A 9 pt win on the road I’ll take. 74-65 Billikens win. Camree Clegg 20 pts, 6-10 from 3pt range. Julia Martinez 13 pts 8 rebounds, Peyton Kennedy 11 pts, Brooke Flowers 9 rebounds.  They are now 6-5 in A10 play. Keep up the momentum, the next game against GW will be an interesting test.

Brooke is either 1 block away from or has already entered the list for top 25 all time in blocks with her performance today. She's got plenty of time to pad that number and go higher up the list with some notable names.

15 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Brooke is either 1 block away from or has already entered the list for top 25 all time in blocks with her performance today. She's got plenty of time to pad that number and go higher up the list with some notable names.

She’s at 99 blocks for the season, 364 for her career. 369 ties her for 25th all time in career blocks, so at the rate she’s going, she will be on that list next game.

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

She’s at 99 blocks for the season, 364 for her career. 369 ties her for 25th all time in career blocks, so at the rate she’s going, she will be on that list next game.

Did you include the 7 in today's game in that total? Or did I just do my math wrong?

7 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Did you include the 7 in today's game in that total? Or did I just do my math wrong?

I used the stats from the SLU website, thought they were updated, but apparently not, so I now am trying to correct my incorrect post. Trying to put it together now, the box score credited her with 8 blocks today, the 99 were before today’s game, which gives her 107 this season (best I can tell). She had 260 prior to this year (again from the SLU website), so that gives her 367 total as of right now.  (Unless my math is wrong).

So, if 367 is correct, then going to the NCAA website and pulling up the latest record book on pdf, that ties her for 30th in total career blocks. She’s been averaging 4.1 blocks a game, with 5 games to go that’s about 20 more blocks, that puts her in the top 20 all time.