Women's Basketball 2022-2023

Pistol

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Not what I was saying. Much of women's basketball runs on 3 point shooting. A lot of the times it's the higher percentage shot than scoring at the rim.

Oh OK yeah I agree with that, but we seem to have a good mix of post and arc stuff.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Not what I was saying. Much of women's basketball runs on 3 point shooting. A lot of the times it's the higher percentage shot than scoring at the rim.

I'd imagine the presence of Brooke Flowers in the paint makes a 3 by far the better shot for SLU opponents to take.

SLU gets the W vs Loy-Chi 73 to 55 and locks up 3rd place in the A10.  Pretty incredible.  Nice work Tillett & the players.

3rd place gives them a double bye and their most likely 1st round opponent becomes whoever finishes 6th assuming no upsets.

Depending upon the outcome of GW/UMass (GW currently losing big) and Richmond/Bona later tonight, I think 6th could still be any of GW, Richmond, or St Joes.  It breaks down like this for 6th place (current NET):

GW wins, Richmond wins - Richmond (98)

GW loses, Richmond wins - St. Joes (90)

GW loses, Richmond loses - GW (145)

GW wins, Richmond loses - St. Joes (90)

I'd prefer GW as the opponent, so we're rooting for Richmond to lose to Bona tonight, but I'd imagine Richmond is favored to win.  St. Joes beat SLU by 24 in Philly earlier this season, Richmond won by 10 their place, and SLU beat GW at Chaifetz.

29 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'd imagine the presence of Brooke Flowers in the paint makes a 3 by far the better shot for SLU opponents to take.

Kyla McMakin does a good job of drawing fouls when she goes to the hoop instead of just taking a jump shot wherever she is. Gets her defender in foul trouble, makes the other defenders close in, opens up the outside shot. Same with Brooke. Going to the hoop ha dramatically improved things. In the first game against Loy-Chi, they shot 23% (and 0 for 15 from 3pt range, lost by 13 to this same team. Today, 47% FG, 20% 3pt, and a 17 point win.  3 pointers are a big part of the women’s game, SLU wasn’t doing much to get open and make better shots. 

52 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

For the Brooke Flowers Block Watch (BFBW), she got 5 today, ending the regular season at 386, good for sole possession of 20th place all time. 10 more ties her for 19th, 11 more ties her for 18th, 12 more ties her for 17th. 

Is finishing top 25 career in a major stat category worthy of a banner at Chaifetz commemorating that?  Could ask this for Collins & assists as well.

Do you think the A10 Women's Tourney merits its own new thread or should it be contained to this thread? I feel like since we earned a double bye it should have a separate GDT.

thetorch and drkelsey55 like this

1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Do you think the A10 Women's Tourney merits its own new thread or should it be contained to this thread? I feel like since we earned a double bye it should have a separate GDT.

Agreed. Make it happen.

Although with the double bye, the SLU women don't even play until Friday.

Should still probably start one Wednesday to cover the teams they might face.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Agreed. Make it happen.

Although with the double bye, the SLU women don't even play until Friday.

Should still probably start one Wednesday to cover the teams they might face.

Capital idea, Pistol. Wednesday it is.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Mike Vukovcan, (covers Pitt) 2 A10 coaches are interviewing for the vacancy at Pittsburgh: Tory Verdi at UMass and Caroline McCombs at George Washington. Others that have interviewed are Toledo’s Tricia Cullup and Marquette’s Megan Duffy.

Previous Pitt compensation was $640k plus bonus and incentives. That would seemingly take Duffy out of it as she makes close to that at Marquette. (unless Pitt decides they want to push higher in compensation closer to what other Power 5 schools are doing) Verdi and McCombs are roughly in the $300k plus range plus bonus and incentives. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Julia Martinez has announced on her socials that she's staying and playing one more year!! 

I normally roll my eyes at "I'm staying" announcements but it was an open question for her, especially given that she walked on senior night. Huge news for SLU.