Pistol

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Two words: Jordan Freaking Goodwin!

This ^ the fact that she's still on the "best available" list is really encouraging that she'll land somewhere eventually. 

32 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It would be cool to be the first Billiken drafted and all that good stuff. She can probably make more money overseas.

Apparently most of the WNBA players make their money overseas in the off-season, anyway. If Brooke gets picked up by a team at minimum, she'll almost definitely opt for international play until there's a roster spot for her or something.

Pro opportunities for females are more limited than a few years ago.

Russia and China paid women very well.  No American wants to play in Russia now, and China is not allowing Americans to play in its league.

Right now the Turkish league has the most American talent and is paying the highest.  Several other countries are trying to grab some of the talent that isn't going to Russia and paying better than before.  If Brooke could make the Turkish, French, German, or Spanish leagues she could easily make 6 figures for just 4-5 months of play.  A lower level league in a less desirable country like Poland or Czech Republic she could still make 60k+ for again not even half a year.

rgbilliken likes this

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

Pro opportunities for females are more limited than a few years ago.

Russia and China paid women very well.  No American wants to play in Russia now, and China is not allowing Americans to play in its league.

Right now the Turkish league has the most American talent and is paying the highest.  Several other countries are trying to grab some of the talent that isn't going to Russia and paying better than before.  If Brooke could make the Turkish, French, German, or Spanish leagues she could easily make 6 figures for just 4-5 months of play.  A lower level league in a less desirable country like Poland or Czech Republic she could still make 60k+ for again not even half a year.

She could go and play in Turkey with Sevval Gul.

11 hours ago, Speyburn said:

She could go and play in Turkey with Sevval Gul.

Sevval is definitely one of the better Turkish-born players, it seems. It would be cool to have them together as two bigs on the same team.

I’m sure the coaches are hitting the portal, there are at least 3 openings on the team roster right now. For incoming freshmen, we have none coming in this fall, and 1 committed for 2024 so far due to the coaching transition last year.  I cannot believe that there are many high school seniors sitting around in the US who are capable of playing D-1 level who don’t have a commitment to a college for the fall.  I’d say they have to hit the portal, look at Jucos, or try for someone from overseas (also probably hard to do at this point). If nothing else, you need players for depth and to practice against, I can’t see many coaches not wanting to into a season with 3 spots open on the roster.

6 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

I’m sure the coaches are hitting the portal, there are at least 3 openings on the team roster right now. For incoming freshmen, we have none coming in this fall, and 1 committed for 2024 so far due to the coaching transition last year.  I cannot believe that there are many high school seniors sitting around in the US who are capable of playing D-1 level who don’t have a commitment to a college for the fall.  I’d say they have to hit the portal, look at Jucos, or try for someone from overseas (also probably hard to do at this point). If nothing else, you need players for depth and to practice against, I can’t see many coaches not wanting to into a season with 3 spots open on the roster.

Yeah, considering the loss of Brooke and Sevval, I'd think we'd like to try and get some height back or at least get some defensive replacements. I'd like to be back in the tournament again next year without needing a miracle run.

7 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Yeah, considering the loss of Brooke and Sevval, I'd think we'd like to try and get some height back or at least get some defensive replacements. I'd like to be back in the tournament again next year without needing a miracle run.

Agreed. Unfortunately that means being very very good and winning lots of games. Rhody was 27-7, 14-2 in conference, and UMass was 26-7 and 14-2 in conference. Our victories over both of them bounced them from the NCAA into the WNIT. A10 had only 1 in the NCAA this year, us.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 3:15 PM, Speyburn said:

Lazar played a total of 8 minutes, the previous season she clocked 147 minutes. The 8 minutes was the fewest anyone played on the team.

Lazar has officially transferred to Vermont.