GDT: @ Davidson

Just now, brianstl said:

I don’t have a problem with the recruiting strategy.  I think a change or two needs to happen on the staff (assistant coach and a non recruiting position). I think Travis needs to be willing to be more open to taking input from his staff both when it comes to game planning and in game adjustments.

UD fans said the same stuff about Brian Gregory. This stuff starts at practice and it all comes from the HC. I've honestly never seen staff changeups do much. Changing the HC alters everything in the program from top to bottom.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me crazy or maybe I’ve had to much to drink today but I honestly think the Bills would beat Davidson if they played again on a neutral court. 

Davidson came out on fire and the Bills came out ice cold. It had nothing to do with coaching or team talent level it was just one of those things that happens sometimes. 
If the Bills make a few shots they normally make or Davidson misses a few shots they normally miss it’s an entirely different ball game.

maybe I’m naive, a homer, blind, an idiot, drunk or a combo of all of them but right now I really believe that.

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

It did. Unfortunately it was the Board that got fired up instead of the team. 

I was happy he took the technical. I thought we were out of the game at that point and I’m glad he showed the players he was fighting for them. I could be off but I liked it

13 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Call me crazy or maybe I’ve had to much to drink today but I honestly think the Bills would beat Davidson if they played again on a neutral court. 

Davidson came out on fire and the Bills came out ice cold. It had nothing to do with coaching or team talent level it was just one of those things that happens sometimes. 
If the Bills make a few shots they normally make or Davidson misses a few shots they normally miss it’s an entirely different ball game.

maybe I’m naive, a homer, blind, an idiot, drunk or a combo of all of them but right now I really believe that.

I won’t call you crazy…or naive… or a homer….or an idiot… or drunk…i’ll just call you Wiz 😉

13 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don’t have a problem with the recruiting strategy.  I think a change or two needs to happen on the staff (assistant coach and a non recruiting position). I think Travis needs to be willing to be more open to taking input from his staff both when it comes to game planning and in game adjustments.

I want to add to this some.  

It seems that Travis has become more hard headed and defensive this season than in the past seasons. He more often returns to stuff that has consistently worked and then sticks with it longer.  He has been (to me) shockingly willing to lay blame on players in multiple post game interviews.  He responded poorly to mild criticism from fans when brought up in a post game interview.  I said to people multiple times this isn’t the same guy personality wise this season.

Now I think a tragedy might be at the core of some of these things, but it doesn’t change the fact they need to change going forward.  

5 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Pre-technical foul, Do you think a single player had any doubts about Travis ford always fighting for them?

Not outwardly, but I think subliminal reminders like that sometimes make a difference. 

Just now, johnbj14 said:

And SLU took Auburn to the wire. Single game sample sizes are easy to play this game with. Georgetown would be near the basement in this year’s A-10. 

I disagree. Big east is a more physical league with bigger big men and shot blockers. St Bon showed a taste of that. Auburn was also months ago at beginning of season. 

34 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It coincides with the biggest commitment to school has ever made to the program facilities wise and dollar wise.

So that gives me hope that better days are ahead. We just seem to be teetering at getting over the hump. Im not writing off this year, as this team is better than the one that won 4 games in 4 days, but I really hope we at least make an NIT run so we can have some momentum going into a big offseason. This year has been frustrating, but, compared to my expectations after the first exhibition game, we’ve over achieved. 20 wins with this team would be a solid achievement and a deep NIT run would be fun. 

House likes this

9 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Random question: Do you think it’s smart to throw at an opposing hitter if one of your guys gets hit? In order to defend your own or whatever the reason is

Not really, but that’s partly because someone can get hurt when you do that, or one of your own guys might get thrown at. All good coaches take technicals at some point in a season, and I thought that was a decent time to do it

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

Thanks. I am sorry for the tone of my posts but watching some posters dance around the issue rather than say what they mean is ridiculous. If you want another coach let's talk about it. Ford is Ford and he will not change. This team is the same as what I used to watch Ford coach at UMass. They are pretty good. They are far from perfect or even ideal.

Marshall is a no-go after the blowup that went down. I think Mack would win big and the Miller bros have good records. I think they'd be willing to come to SLU for the money. Crean has ability but is trying too hard to make it at places he can't(big state schools)

Crean was a great assistant under Jud and Tom at MSU- and a good mid major coach - like a “AAAA ballplayer” who can rake at AAA Durham but can’t pick up the rotation of the ball at the big league level. 

Crean will be out in Athens by season’s end, so he will be available. Four years, solid recruits and zero to show for it will get you shown the door in the SEC.

1 minute ago, NH said:

Not really, but that’s partly because someone can get hurt when you do that, or one of your own guys might get thrown at. All good coaches take technicals at some point in a season, and I thought that was a decent time to do it

Well yes all good coaches make mistakes for sure. There’s just never a good time to get a technical if the other option is just not get a technical. There are many ways to motivate your team that don’t include giving points to your opponent lol.

but let’s just compromise and call it “understandable” to get upset and not a strategic move haha

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

I don’t get this crap.  This is the team Ford assembled.  They are his recruits.  They are coached by him and execute the game plan he comes up with.  He deserves blame for this.

And save me the Perkins is out crap.  Perkins wasn’t go to be on this team without the bonus year.  Every disappointing year has some excuse made.  the situation, Covid, Perkins, etc.  The results are the results. Six seasons with one NCAA tournament appearance and zero top 3 finishes in the conference.

He deserves blame.

Thank you!!! Been thinking this for several years.

If St. Bonaventure makes that wide open 3 at the end of the A-10 Championship game, Goodwin and French, two of the best Billikens of all time, would have ZERO NCAA Tournament appearances. And it's not like we've consistently made the NIT either. 

@A10Ref—-  Silly boy.  I’ve been on that “teetering” level since the mid-80s.  Hope springs eternal.  And getting mighty mo’ from some second rate post season tourney is a mistake of a thought.  We could win the damn thing —— w/o Perkins and then have five guys transfer out taking all that great experience and mo’ with them.

The advent of the transfer portal also seems to add further difficulty to maintaining any continuity to anyone’s program.

4 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

Thank you!!! Been thinking this for several years.

If St. Bonaventure makes that wide open 3 at the end of the A-10 Championship game, Goodwin and French, two of the best Billikens of all time, would have ZERO NCAA Tournament appearances. And it's not like we've consistently made the NIT either. 

I hacked glazedandconfused’s account to say this (so don’t get mad it him):

If two players barely make an ncaa tourney and were the 3rd and 4th most influential players on that teams run, and only sometimes made the NIT…AND the team is just as good after losing them and another star player, perhaps they aren’t two of the best billikens of all time

7 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Well yes all good coaches make mistakes for sure. There’s just never a good time to get a technical if the other option is just not get a technical. There are many ways to motivate your team that don’t include giving points to your opponent lol.

We’ll have to disagree. I think almost every coach would say there are sometimes where getting a technical can be a good strategic decision

45 minutes ago, dlarry said:

SLU will beat Davidson on the neutral floor in DC if they meet in the A10 Tourney, IMO.

9 minutes ago, NH said:

We’ll have to disagree. I think almost every coach would say there are sometimes where getting a technical can be a good strategic decision

Most definitely.

Sometimes it can change the way the game is called too.

I wish Ford would have gotten one earlier. It might have led to a free throw or two in the first half.

13 minutes ago, NH said:

It also took coaches until like 2012 to realize shooting 35% from 3 is better than shooting 45% from 2 haha. No one is set in their ways more than coaches. But agreed to disagree

28 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@A10Ref—-  Silly boy.  I’ve been on that “teetering” level since the mid-80s.  Hope springs eternal.  And getting mighty mo’ from some second rate post season tourney is a mistake of a thought.  We could win the damn thing —— w/o Perkins and then have five guys transfer out taking all that great experience and mo’ with them.

The advent of the transfer portal also seems to add further difficulty to maintaining any continuity to anyone’s program.

The commitment to winning and Chaifetz Arena didn't exist then, so it was much harder (God bless Grawer) to do that. Not now.