SLU Women's Soccer Thread

Coming into the game, some soccer chatter circles had this game as a possible La Salle upset type of game. La Salle is improved this year. But SLU had little trouble with the Explorers.  After a pretty decent start, Rutgers had a one sided home win 3-1 win over La Salle, after also falling behind early. (Rutgers is very similar to last year if not better.)

Hoping for the best for Hannah Larson and her injury. Pressing and sprinting 4 minutes left in the first half, 50/50 ball, with the La Salle defender, and Hannah was just a tiny bit late, covering a lot of ground, fell awkwardly on the turf. Lots of pain, and she had to be helped off of the field. Did not return. It was a tough one. 

Larson had SLU’s first goal a little bit earlier on a nice through ball from Gaebe. 

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1570558335048613888?s=21&t=OaIK06TqTe_agd0sH9_Umw

…………………

Set piece goal. Sophia Stram gets up and finishes a head  ball on Anna Walsh’ corner:

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1570573724822425602?s=21&t=OaIK06TqTe_agd0sH9_Umw

SLU had been playing mostly short corners 2 v 1 but not in this game. 

………………

Another nice header, Groark getting inside position making a run far post finishing a nice ball from Kelly: 

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1570575766789947397?s=21&t=OaIK06TqTe_agd0sH9_Umw

……………..

Hannah Sawyer who was buzzing as a later game sub, out works her defender to walk in alone:

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1570578703884881922?s=21&t=OaIK06TqTe_agd0sH9_Umw

………….

It was a bouncy turf game at times. And that is how La Salle scored early. One of their only chances of the game. Free kick long ball, bounces high in between SLU defenders, and McGroarty won the head ball v Stram, to a wide open (Heckel and Lawler were not goal side) Costello for the finish for a short lived 1-0 lead. 

………………

4-2-3-1 throughout for SLU. 

Without Gaebe in the game, Kelly plays up top alone. With Gaebe in the game, Kelly moved to both wing and the middle at times with Groark playing and Friedrich also playing both middle and wing at times. Walsh and Kohl dmid subs, H Smith and Sawyer wing subs. Beach and Nicholas outside back subs.

………………

Mostly one way traffic in the first half for SLU. Several close misses in the first 10 minutes for SLU before the La Salle goal. Entirely one way traffic for SLU the entire 2nd half holding La Salle to zero shots and zero corners, while applying constant pressure, lots of effective ground combination play, in the final third. It was a lot of defending for La Salle throughout the game.

……………..

The soccer analytics stets for the Xavier game, top rated SLU players in order were Kelly, Houck, Heckel. (Rogers and Flick for Xavier)

…………….

Notre Dame finally cooled off at Clemson, falling 2-0. But they’ll do fine in the ACC. 

……………

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In looking at the A10 standings, there are a couple of things I found interesting 

1.) Davidson played a 7 game preseason schedule, and won them all, but gets credit for only going 6-0 in the standings. The 7th game they played was against Carolina University, which is an NCCAA team. So they don’t count in the standings, but the stats in that game got added on. They beat Carolina U 7-0.  With those stats counting, they scored 15 goals in 7 games, a 2.14 goals scored per game average, without those counting, they scored 8 goals in 6 games, for a 1.33 goals per game average, which gives a totally different slant on their team. To me either it’s a game and everything counts (stats and standing), or it’s an exhibition and neither the game or the stats count, I don’t understand the logic in treating it in this quasi way.

2.) When the NCAA changed the rules about ties this season back in the spring (no OT in regular season games at all, only in conference and NCAA tournaments), I thought it was only a minor change. However, if you look at the A10 standings this year, there are a total of 34 ties among all schools this year right now, but all last year there were only 30 ties all year. So ties are happening this year at a rate over twice as high as last year, which doesn’t seem all that minor.  Are teams deliberately playing for a tie this year? Should the rule be changed back?

Hoping for good news regarding Larson's injury.  She is a very important, key piece of the team this year.  I assume she will not be playing in the Richmond game.  I guess we won't get any official word until the team returns home and she can be examined by a SLU doctor.

33 minutes ago, bauman said:

Hoping for good news regarding Larson's injury.  She is a very important, key piece of the team this year.  I assume she will not be playing in the Richmond game.  I guess we won't get any official word until the team returns home and she can be examined by a SLU doctor.

We’ll have to wait and see, it depends on the nature of her injury.  And sometimes an injury can look bad, but someone the player comes back quickly. Case in point, Brionna Halverson went down with an injury 29 minutes into the game vs SIUE on Sunday, 9/11, had to be helped off, and wore a boot on her left foot on the sidelines the rest of the game. She played 65 minutes against LaSalle last night (4 days later). We’ll just have to wait and see on Larson, but I do hope she’s back soon, they will miss her.

Great corner from Jess Preusser, perfectly placed for Lyndsey Heckel to head it in. It was a Heckel of a goal (yes I went there). 7-2 shots favoring SLU at halftime, 10-2 in corner kicks. The momentum started to swing SLU’s way later in the first half.  This kind of reminds me of the LaSalle game, where LaSalle hung in even at the first half, and SLU pulled away in the second half, hoping for the same outcome here. Again, every team playing the Billikens is looking to knock them off, so they are giving their best shot.  Hannah Larson was dressed, but wearing a boot on her foot, looks like Anna Walsh and Jess Preusser aretaking the bulk of her minutes.

And in the opening minutes Gabe makes it 2-0 on an assist from Emily Groark. I forgot to mention Katie Houck took a ball to the face at point blank range in the first half and went down quick. She jogged off smiling with the trainer, so that’s good news, but she hasn’t been on since, Sydney Beach started the second half.

1 minute ago, Lord Elrond said:

And in the opening minutes Gabe makes it 2-0 on an assist from Emily Groark. I forgot to mention Katie Houck took a ball to the face at point blank range in the first half and went down quick. She jogged off smiling with the trainer, so that’s good news, but she hasn’t been on since, Sydney Beach started the second half.

That header from Groark really made that goal. 

Yeah, that could’ve been called a handball, but was ruled inadvertent contact. Billikens win, 2-0, 18 shots, 16 corner kicks. Katie Houck checked back in during the second half, she looked fine. Loyola wiping late in the game over LaSalle. Looking around the A10, UMass knocks off Davidson 3-1, and Dayton beats the Bonnie’s 2-0. Everyone else ties. Weird thing looking in on the Loyola game, looks like the brown artificial turf from their softball field cuts in on the soccer surface. Since it’s all artificial turf I guess it doesn’t matter, but it does look odd.

4-2-3-1 for most of the game. SLU did switch to a 4-1-3-2 later in the first half to generate more offense. And, as soon as SLU scored, they switched formations back. 

More set piece corner goals. (Heckel, Stram, Miller the often recipients.)

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1571572275194765317?s=21&t=yRHRH06Y-zMxAQJxq4dqrA

Friedrich to Groark to Gaebe:

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1571578933384196096?s=21&t=yRHRH06Y-zMxAQJxq4dqrA

More good minutes off of the bench from Jess Preusser. And she was rewarded with more playing time. (An excellent passer, and a smart player.)

As injuries to the attack pile up, (Simon, Larson), SLU will need to generate more chances collectively as a group, and, be more efficient finishing. (Gaebe finishes the shot she ripped off of the post 9 times out of 10. Every team will give SLU its best effort.) SLU ‘s depth on the wing will need to take a step forward. (Sawyer with her passing, and Smith with the typical adjustment to the college game.)

Challenging week with Hannah’s injury, and a with a few tough recruiting losses. (Recruiting is going very well overall). Nice to get 2 dubs. Good to see Chris Allen (watching 4 SLU soccer commits and a couple of targets this weekend). 

2023 SLU commit Lucie Schwartz is back at full speed after her knee injury last December. 2023 Jordan Gary played one of the best games I have seen her play this weekend. Immediate impact on either wing.  2023 Autumn Jackson is still flying down the right flank. But 2023 Alyssa Bockius has an unfortunate longer term hip injury and she will be out a while. 

………………..

SLU’s highest rated players (inStat) at La Salle, were in order: Groark, Kelly, Miller, Sawyer, Gaebe.

……………….

SLU’s RPI was 13 after the La Salle game. It is 21 after the Richmond game. 

………………

Top Drawer Soccer has SLU ranked 8th in the country this week. 

……………….

3 hours ago, courtside said:

4-2-3-1 for most of the game. SLU did switch to a 4-1-3-2 later in the first half to generate more offense. And, as soon as SLU scored, they switched formations back. 

More set piece corner goals. (Heckel, Stram, Miller the often recipients.)

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1571572275194765317?s=21&t=yRHRH06Y-zMxAQJxq4dqrA

Friedrich to Groark to Gaebe:

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1571578933384196096?s=21&t=yRHRH06Y-zMxAQJxq4dqrA

More good minutes off of the bench from Jess Preusser. And she was rewarded with more playing time. (An excellent passer, and a smart player.)

As injuries to the attack pile up, (Simon, Larson), SLU will need to generate more chances collectively as a group, and, be more efficient finishing. (Gaebe finishes the shot she ripped off of the post 9 times out of 10. Every team will give SLU its best effort.) SLU ‘s depth on the wing will need to take a step forward. (Sawyer with her passing, and Smith with the typical adjustment to the college game.)

Challenging week with Hannah’s injury, and a with a few tough recruiting losses. (Recruiting is going very well overall). Nice to get 2 dubs. Good to see Chris Allen (watching 4 SLU soccer commits and a couple of targets this weekend). 

2023 SLU commit Lucie Schwartz is back at full speed after her knee injury last December. 2023 Jordan Gary played one of the best games I have seen her play this weekend. Immediate impact on either wing.  2023 Autumn Jackson is still flying down the right flank. But 2023 Alyssa Bockius has an unfortunate longer term hip injury and she will be out a while. 

………………..

SLU’s highest rated players (inStat) at La Salle, were in order: Groark, Kelly, Miller, Sawyer, Gaebe.

……………….

SLU’s RPI was 13 after the La Salle game. It is 21 after the Richmond game. 

………………

Top Drawer Soccer has SLU ranked 8th in the country this week. 

……………….

-what school got players we wanted?

The 4-1-3-2 has led to some success in forcing goals this year when it’s been employed, Coach Shields has been smart about when to employ it.

Loyola may be the toughest test in the A-10 (even though they don’t have an RPI as high as some others, but it’s still early in the season for that).  They were the MVC conference champions 4 years in a row before joining the A-10, so they have players with experience winning games when they have to and playing in the NCAA tournament (even if they didn’t get a win in the tournament). SLU should win at home, but they can’t take anything for granted.

40 minutes ago, bauman said:

Anybody have any word on the Hannah Larson injury, including prognosis for the rest of the year, if it is anything but minor (a game or two) ?  It seems like there should have been some injury update , given her importance to the team.

They really don’t give out injury updates in woman’s soccer, I don’t think. It’s not like this is the NFL and they make the coach give an update every week because of all the gambling. (Just a personal note, if anyone out there is gambling on NCAA women’s soccer games, I think you need to reevaluate all the life choices you’ve made to arrive at that point, and go seek professional help). I’m sure she will be out of it as soon as she can, soccer players hate wearing a boot almost as much as dogs hate wearing a cone.

Billiken Rich likes this

39 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-is Simon still on crutches?

Julia Simon is out for the year with a torn labrum hip injury. Great player. Big loss. But SLU has other great players, a 2nd 11, etc and has been a (currently) top 10 team without her. She is still a big part of the team, but no, she will not play this season. 

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Anybody have any word on the Hannah Larson injury, including prognosis for the rest of the year, if it is anything but minor (a game or two) ?  It seems like there should have been some injury update , given her importance to the team.

All I am able to say is Hannah was re-evaluated this week and her prognosis was encouraging. I was with Chris Allen this past Saturday as he was was watching 4 2023 SLU commits, and 3 2024 SLU recruiting targets play. 

I can say that 2023 SLU commit Lucie Schwartz is back playing full tilt after her knee injury last December. She played up top but will likely play left wing or center mid for SLU.

2023 SLU commit Alyssa Bockius unfortunately has her own (longer term) hip injury right now. 

Everyone else is good. 

1 hour ago, courtside said:

Julia Simon is out for the year with a torn labrum hip injury. Great player. Big loss. But SLU has other great players, a 2nd 11, etc and has been a (currently) top 10 team without her. She is still a big part of the team, but no, she will not play this season. 

-thanks for the info, bad as it is, let's have a full recovery and keep the rest of the Ladies healthy

courtside likes this