Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, willie said:

When I pulled out my sports section this morning I guess I forgot I must have moved to Columbia Mo. 

Without actually seeing the paper I would be willing to bet it has something to do with college football starting next weekend. We don't have a pro team anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, willie said:

Something wrong when there is more Missouri football stories than Cardinal stories. Also top headline. 

Sunday is features day though. That's when they publish season previews and stuff like that. I'd look for a Blues one on a Sunday in mid to late September. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have a problem with mizzou football and basketball getting coverage. I just think SLU basketball deserves a ton more than it gets. Stu should write more.

the post falsely believes that internet clicks are the primary indicator of fan interest, but they fail to recognize that clicks that come from mid missoura, out of state, etc. rarely result in subscription dollars. Subscriptions are from the St. Louis area and there is far more balanced fan interest once you get into the group that actually buys papers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If for no other reason coverage should be in the public interest. Again our only D-1 team in the 2 major NCAA team sports (this side of the river now). Some blame of course goes to program and it's historically mediocre history. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I see a lot of athlete features from Mizzou Network and they are made available on YouTube. I don't know why SLU doesn't do something similar. I'm sure most would love to see "Meet Hasahn French with video of him tearing down the rim in his practice uniform. You can't fail to promote the program through your own media dept and then get at the local media for not doing your job.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, kshoe said:

I don't have a problem with mizzou football and basketball getting coverage. I just think SLU basketball deserves a ton more than it gets. Stu should write more.

the post falsely believes that internet clicks are the primary indicator of fan interest, but they fail to recognize that clicks that come from mid missoura, out of state, etc. rarely result in subscription dollars. Subscriptions are from the St. Louis area and there is far more balanced fan interest once you get into the group that actually buys papers.

I will be interested to see if (when) The Athletic moves into St. Louis and how they might cover SLU basketball. It might time up nicely with a revival in the program under Ford as well. 

The Scout model never worked for SLU because of timing, quality of writing (terrible), and lack of commitment. Is Scout still really a thing anymore? 
 

2 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

IMG_0216.PNG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

I see a lot of athlete features from Mizzou Network and they are made available on YouTube. I don't know why SLU doesn't do something similar. I'm sure most would love to see "Meet Hasahn French with video of him tearing down the rim in his practice uniform. You can't fail to promote the program through your own media dept and then get at the local media for not doing your job.  

The marketing department has been awful the last 2 years 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

I will be interested to see if (when) The Athletic moves into St. Louis and how they might cover SLU basketball. It might time up nicely with a revival in the program under Ford as well. 

The Scout model never worked for SLU because of timing, quality of writing (terrible), and lack of commitment. Is Scout still really a thing anymore?

So is the Athletic going for an SB Nation type of model? Do you think SLU is big enough to support one or both of them, if so?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Pistol said:

So is the Athletic going for an SB Nation type of model? Do you think SLU is big enough to support one or both of them, if so?

Here is some history on the Athletic and their business model.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitner/2017/01/10/why-2-1-million-was-invested-in-a-sports-news-subscription-site/#3ea54cf615e7

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pistol said:

So is the Athletic going for an SB Nation type of model? Do you think SLU is big enough to support one or both of them, if so?

It’s not really an SB Nation model but more localized content supported by subscription instead of terrible clickbaity headlines and ads. The Athletic St. Louis would cover St. Louis sports in general. Their initial city, Chicago, didn’t have any college content. It was built around Cubs and then added on with Bears, Blackhawks, and Bulls. They hired some of the best writers in the area and have them just produce really good content. $60 a year. They’ve just added Detroit and are covering Michigan and State football/basketball with those. But in the Bay Area they are not covering any college sports yet. Cleveland includes Ohio State and the Blue Jackets. I’m not sure if that is a strategic long term decision or if they just haven’t found the right people in certain markets to cover certain thing. 

I wonder if they will see St Louis as a market for expansion and then if they do - is covering SLU on a regular basis worth it?

They have hired Seth Davis and a bunch of others to cover NCAA basketball on a national level as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

It’s not really an SB Nation model but more localized content supported by subscription instead of terrible clickbaity headlines and ads. The Athletic St. Louis would cover St. Louis sports in general. Their initial city, Chicago, didn’t have any college content. It was built around Cubs and then added on with Bears, Blackhawks, and Bulls. They hired some of the best writers in the area and have them just produce really good content. $60 a year. They’ve just added Detroit and are covering Michigan and State football/basketball with those. But in the Bay Area they are not covering any college sports yet. Cleveland includes Ohio State and the Blue Jackets. I’m not sure if that is a strategic long term decision or if they just haven’t found the right people in certain markets to cover certain thing. 

I wonder if they will see St Louis as a market for expansion and then if they do - is covering SLU on a regular basis worth it?

They have hired Seth Davis and a bunch of others to cover NCAA basketball on a national level as well. 

I'm guessing that they're coming to St. Louis very quickly. I'm pretty sure Rutherford quit the Post to be the Blues guy for them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info, @JMM28 and @brianstl - I had seen some of the news about people going there but hadn't yet looked into what the site would be doing. So if they do wind up covering St. Louis, the question becomes: Will they cover SLU, and to what degree? I'm not sure I would feel compelled to plop down an annual subscription fee for more Cardinals and Blues content.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Thanks for the info, @JMM28 and @brianstl - I had seen some of the news about people going there but hadn't yet looked into what the site would be doing. So if they do wind up covering St. Louis, the question becomes: Will they cover SLU, and to what degree? I'm not sure I would feel compelled to plop down an annual subscription fee for more Cardinals and Blues content.

As a Cubs fan I subscribed, but they put forward an interesting mix of analytics content while still being credentialed and having team access. In that regard it is like localized fangraphs with a press pass. The nice thing is you get all of the content from all cities with a subscription so as they ad more, it will make more sense. Right now they are running a $50 annual subscription special and just added Ken Rosenthal to their baseball lineup. 

1 hour ago, goonaha said:

I'm guessing that they're coming to St. Louis very quickly. I'm pretty sure Rutherford quit the Post to be the Blues guy for them. 

That would make sense. They are going heavy into NHL coverage. I don't follow NHL much so don't know what style his coverage is, but think they've targeted more new school types than old school Jeff Gordon's. 

 

I think the SLU dynamic comes down to if the Cardinals and Blues alone drive enough content thus subscriptions. It is possible they could only do Mizzou, but I don't know if Mizzou has a strong enough base to support that either. I also don't know if there is a natural hire they could make to cover one or both schools. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

That would make sense. They are going heavy into NHL coverage. I don't follow NHL much so don't know what style his coverage is, but think they've targeted more new school types than old school Jeff Gordon's. 

 

If they are going to go hard into hockey - would not be surprised if that is why Jeremy Rutherford announced he is leaving the Post-Dispatch last week. Also saw the beat writer for the Wild left the Star Tribune today as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...