North Carolina vs NCAA

willie

According to ESPN NC meets the NCAA infractions committee tomorrow. I'm on record saying Carolina is going to get slammed. Carolina's defense is that this is an academics   issue and the NCAA has no jurisdiction. Seems pretty lame to me. I also believe they will hit St. Roy. If he didn't know he should have. Total lack of institutional control. 

They should get the Death Penalty ala SMU a few years back. Wholesale cheating in the Ath Dept across all sports. Laughable they'd call it an academic issue when the only students that benefitted/ suffered were athletes. They'll get their wrist slapped by losing a few scholarships here and there.

24 minutes ago, slu72 said:

They should get the Death Penalty ala SMU a few years back. Wholesale cheating in the Ath Dept across all sports. Laughable they'd call it an academic issue when the only students that benefitted/ suffered were athletes. They'll get their wrist slapped by losing a few scholarships here and there.

Does not the death penalty require some other similar bad violation with in a certain period of time?

i predict (and PRAY i am wrong) that nothing of consequence will happen.  probably lose a scholarship or be put on silent double secret probation or maybe forced to play the non conference season without cheerleaders but nothing else.   the blue bloods are never touched.   seems to me the ncaa would rather change the rules rather than enforce it against the likes of kentucky, kansas, unc, duke ucla etc.   

41 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i predict (and PRAY i am wrong) that nothing of consequence will happen.  probably lose a scholarship or be put on silent double secret probation or maybe forced to play the non conference season without cheerleaders but nothing else.   the blue bloods are never touched.   seems to me the ncaa would rather change the rules rather than enforce it against the likes of kentucky, kansas, unc, duke ucla etc.   

I'd like to see some serious penalties handed down to UNC (although I think the SMU style death penalty is excessive for this one), but I think you're right in that very little of consequence will happen.

Louisville is kicking and screaming but the penalties there don't look that severe to me. They're probably a little on the light side, in that case.

The one that stands out to me as the glaring example is Baylor. If the NCAA had any standards or ethics at all, Baylor would be suspended from NCAA athletic competition indefinitely - i.e. the "death penalty" without a timeline, but a requirement that the AD be completely overhauled and not allowed to compete again until a huge list of stipulations were met. How they still have a standing football program, let alone a competitive one, is beyond my understanding. That goes for basketball (both men's and women's), and a number of other sports there. Total lack of control, ethics, and standards.

With the NCAA about to meet with the NC Tarholes, I really feel sorry for some directional school like Eastern Kentucky or Western Illinois. The NCAA is likely to be so upset with the "'holes", an ABCer's (Anybody But Carolina) way of referring to that evil empire, that they'll put one of those schools on probation for five years.

• 1 month later...

Can't change the rules to fit the case.  NCAA members long ago decided NCAA has no jurisdiction over how schools implement classwork.  Many schools have easier courses that students are steered to when struggling.  UNC no different.  The fact that the majority of students in these classes were non-athletes also help indicate courses/major wasn't created solely for athletes.

On 8/15/2017 at 3:45 PM, slu72 said:

Carolina is an institution - they won't get the Death Penalty; in the timeline/history of NCAA athletics, Carolina has the pedigree, the alumni base, the titles and the money to get away with it. SMU was a relative fart in the wind - they weren't really a "storied" program even in their own state/conference. The Longhorns & Aggies have always owned Texas. The NCAA could also get away with sending a message and using SMU as an example -- when everyone in the SWC conference was cheating, the NCAA couldn't afford to hand down the execution to Bevo or the 12th Man, but it could pull the lever on SMU without remorse. 

Looking back 30 years later, the message really hasn't resonated. 

2 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

busine$$ as usual when it comes to the blue bloods 

Explain how Notre Dame loses 12 games because a student TA unilaterally cheats for a few players.  Literally, kids breaking the rules to cheat for kids.  But a systemic, university approved approach to avoid losing athletes by lowering all standards, isn't a violation?  End the NCAA now, it has completely lost track of its purpose.