Lineup combinations

ACE

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

You need to take your snark to Coach Ford. Challenge him, Gloria. He said it not me. Look in the mirror. You seem to think you know more than Coach. Or if are afraid to challenge Coach ask Stu who reported it. 

Oh I'm sorry are you Coach Ford? You realize his job is to speak positively at all times about his team. You have zero idea what actually happens. Just because he said it months before the new team is even practicing doesn't make it so. Wait until the first game then conference to make your talks. Judging off his month old talking points is useless. 

2 hours ago, Aquinas said:

Bess lacks the shooting range of a guard and lacks the height of a forward.  Player combinations will be interesting with Bess.  If you want 3 players on the floor who can hit an open 3 when Bess is on the floor, who are they?  

Guys who can hit an open 3: Henriquez, Johnson, Roby, Bishop, Welmer.

Can't really speculate on Goodwin, French, Graves til they get out there.

Using Evans as a comp... not something that would dictate his minutes. We never had great 3 point shooting teams around him.

We didn't have two bigs on the roster that were both top 150 players in high school when Evans played.  That changes the way you can play.  We never had two front court players like Foreman and French at the same time in the history of my Billiken fandom.  

Those two will really eat into the minutes of guys that fit the Evans mold.  It will only get harder for those types to get minutes when Gordon arrives on campus.

16 minutes ago, brianstl said:

We didn't have two bigs on the roster that were both top 150 players in high school when Evans played.  That changes the way you can play.  We never had two front court players like Foreman and French at the same time in the history of my Billiken fandom.  

Those two will really eat into the minutes of guys that fit the Evans mold.  It will only get harder for those types to get minutes when Gordon arrives on campus.

Great, still plenty of guys that can hit a 3 to have 2 out there most if not all of the time. Which I think was the question. French has a decent jumper himself. 

I've been saying this for a while, but I think that we'll see (as others have also now said) some care put in to making sure that Bess and Goodwin have shooters around them. Being a slasher doesn't work so well unless the floor is spaced, or your man has to respect your own jumper. The good news is that it looks like Foreman and French both can shoot from the mid-range, which will help out a bit. 

I don't expect much from Wellmer this season. This is his second foot injury. They tend to take time healing, so I don't expect he'll be up to speed until the conference season. Depending upon how we're faring up to that point, it could go either way for him; he warms the bench so as not to interfere w/ good chemistry, or we really need his outside shot if we're just doing so so.

Travis is going to have a lot of options and the combos will depend upon matchups. That said, I do expect we'll see more of Bess than some are predicting.

It promises to be an interesting season as we have a blend of Crews hanger ons (Bishop, Hines, Wellmer and Roby), a blend of Travis's HS recruits (Johnson, Goodwin, and French) , and a bunch of transfers from other systems. Can't ever recall SLU having such a mish mash of players as opposed to the stability of players moving thru the normal 4 yr progression and being replaced by new recruits. Can't wait to see how it all develops.  

58 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I don't expect much from Wellmer this season. This is his second foot injury. They tend to take time healing, so I don't expect he'll be up to speed until the conference season. Depending upon how we're faring up to that point, it could go either way for him; he warms the bench so as not to interfere w/ good chemistry, or we really need his outside shot if we're just doing so so.

Travis is going to have a lot of options and the combos will depend upon matchups. That said, I do expect we'll see more of Bess than some are predicting.

It promises to be an interesting season as we have a blend of Crews hanger ons (Bishop, Hines, Wellmer and Roby), a blend of Travis's HS recruits (Johnson, Goodwin, and French) , and a bunch of transfers from other systems. Can't ever recall SLU having such a mish mash of players as opposed to the stability of players moving thru the normal 4 yr progression and being replaced by new recruits. Can't wait to see how it all develops.  

Except Spoonhour was a master at blending.  H. Waldman was a transfer, and Spoon mixed in some juco transfers.  That got SLU its first NCAA Tourney berths in decades.  Also, Jeff Harris was one of his 4-year recruits while Claggett and Highmark were Grawer leftovers.  It was a very similar situation.

5 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Except Spoonhour was a master at blending.  H. Waldman was a transfer, and Spoon mixed in some juco transfers.  That got SLU its first NCAA Tourney berths in decades.  Also, Jeff Harris was one of his 4-year recruits while Claggett and Highmark were Grawer leftovers.  It was a very similar situation.

I'll agree it's close, but our leftovers ain't Clagget and Highmark quality and they were key to our success. H was also a top flight PG, not sure anyone we've got is up to his level.

On 7/7/2017 at 3:29 PM, 3star_recruit said:

Coach Ford has been calling Henriquez our best offensive player and Bess a stat sheet stuffer for months now. He also loves him some Davell Roby. And Jordan Goodwin is a big-bodied bulldozer who is going to cause major problems for the small guards in this conference. Those guys are going to play a lot of minutes. The fifth spot is up for grabs. I assume it's going to be Foreman but Coach hasn't sung his praises as loudly as he has the other two junior transfers. I think French could give him a run for his money. Bishop, JJ, Welmer and either French/Foreman is the best bench in the conference on paper.

Saw Henriquez, Santos, Goodwin, French and JJ play yesterday. Henriquez can really shoot it.  I was impressed with French's aggressiveness.  He is relentless attacking the basket. Goodwin looked a little rusty.  But i am not worried about him...i know what he can do.  Nice building blocks ? 

1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

Saw Henriquez, Santos, Goodwin, French and JJ play yesterday. Henriquez can really shoot it.  I was impressed with French's aggressiveness.  He is relentless attacking the basket. Goodwin looked a little rusty.  But i am not worried about him...i know what he can do.  Nice building blocks ? 

Exactly what I saw. Don't be surprised if French leads goodwin in stats.  Reminds me of Nigel Hayes with better shooting and ball handling. 

My top scoring predictions are in no particular order, French Goodwin AD Bess

4 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

THE players have been on campus for the past month 

Do those of you who have seen the players play know if their workouts are open to us.  If so, is there a schedule of when they are at Chaifetz? At least three of you have seen them and expressed opinions on the new players.

21 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Exactly what I saw. Don't be surprised if French leads goodwin in stats.  Reminds me of Nigel Hayes with better shooting and ball handling. 

Better shooter than Hayes? The guy that shot 40% from three as a sophomore? Hm...

Nice. Hayes was top 100 recruit who was Big 10 6th man of the year as a freshman, all Big 10 3rd team as a sophomore and senior, and all big 10 1st team as a junior. 3rd in Wisconsin history in scoring with just under 1900 career points and is the only Wisconsin player to finish in the top 10 in career scoring, rebounding, and assists.

Imagine what that translates to at SLU/A10.

22 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

French doesn't have Hayes' 3 point range at this point, more of a high post shooter, but consistent.  Now, over time, who knows?

1 hour ago, teamarete said:

French doesn't have Hayes' 3 point range at this point, more of a high post shooter, but consistent.  Now, over time, who knows?

With French's aggressiveness on the boards, I really don't want him out shooting 3 pointers, just like I didn't want A Bonner out in 3 point land. Hopefully TF will be able to keep a sufficient number of outside shooters on the roster so that we don't need guys like French, Foreman, Bess, Santos or Gordon putting up treys.

45 minutes ago, bauman said:

With French's aggressiveness on the boards, I really don't want him out shooting 3 pointers, just like I didn't want A Bonner out in 3 point land. Hopefully TF will be able to keep a sufficient number of outside shooters on the roster so that we don't need guys like French, Foreman, Bess, Santos or Gordon putting up treys.

I would suspect that we may see Foreman, French and Bess, at times if wide open, take a 3--maybe a few more with Bess based upon his improved shooting in practice. I think that Santos and Gordon will power to the hoop and shoot from mid range. Foreman is clever and tough under the basket and French has great athleticism which will get him offensive boards. Once we get all of the pieces, including one more recruit, in place next fall-(2018) I would think that we will have two full teams of excellent players--which is what it takes to compete far into the big dance. I think the team has a good attitude and good intensity--if this translates into good chemistry and team play we could be very very good in 18 months. This year will be a hold your breath and hope kind of season early with some of the tough teams we are playing but maybe we can get hot and win a couple we might not be expected to win. I am really excited about our future potential.