Luis Santos Commits to SLU

Ibruce

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, The Pelican said:

This is good as it will give us some stability in the paint. Beastmode....

Would you say Santos was plan A? This is probably the first signing that I am kind of struggling with on paper. Obviously I have not seen much of any of the guys Ford has signed (beyond Goodwin and then Gordon the following class), but this one doesn't make sense to me. It almost looks like an insurance policy on a few of the guys we have lined up on paper for the 2018-2019 season.

We have 2 scholarships available for next season. One scholarship opens up after next season with Roby graduating. With 2 verbal commitments for 2018 it will be interesting to see what we do to fill out the roster for this season. If you add 2 and neither is a grad transfer, you need one transfer out just to not be over committed for 2018.

here's the question to ask, "does Luis appear to be an upgrade over Nuefeld?"   ok.  commit makes sense.  we continue to upgrade the roster

13 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

some of you posters act like we're Duke all of the sudden... I've been wishing for a big with that body size for years. everyone needs to check themselves 

Aren't message boards for discussion? It would be nice if people responded with their opinion as opposed to just saying you are wrong. I don't understand taking a transfer who has to sit out a year given our current situation. On paper I don't understand this one.

38 minutes ago, ACE said:

Ideally, I wish he were a grad transfer, because I think we could use some depth with the bigs next year.

As it stands now, we really only have one scholarship to give, unless the AG scholarship goes to a grad transfer.

Grad transfer???

Ideally, I wish that Tom Izzo and Bill Self announced that they wanted to assist for Ford next year.

Ideally, I wish SLU would give out free sundaes before every home game. Get real.

Colossal upgrade over MN and AG. Keeps the classes staggered. Good.

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Exactly.  The only way to recruit over what we currently have is to recruit top 100 players exclusively.  Ford has spoiled this board.

Me personally, a little confused by it because I would've liked somebody who can contribute next year.  I don't think we will be able to get a solid big grad transfer due to how bad we were last year, they will go to better schools (would love to be proven wrong here).  I know transfers happen every year but I don't like the idea of over committing and I am sure some of the top kids won't want to do that to go to SLU so that means we have 1 left to give.  

Guess if I had the choice between Ford getting a comparable 2018 kid compared to him who would give us 4 years with that scholarship, I would've preferred that.  

5 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Grad transfer???

Ideally, I wish that Tom Izzo and Bill Self announced that they wanted to assist for Ford next year.

Ideally, I wish SLU would give out free sundaes before every home game. Get real.

Colossal upgrade over MN and AG. Keeps the classes staggered. Good.

Get real? :rolleyes: Grad transfers actually DO happen. I said it because I think we could use some big depth NEXT year. Of course the kid is an upgrade over MN and AG - that's obvious, but in the short term not gonna help in an area where we may be thin. I'm not unhappy about. In fact, looks like he could be quite useful in the future, but I think it is fair to have questions about the roster construction. 

Just now, ACE said:

Get real? :rolleyes: Grad transfers actually DO happen. I said it because I think we could use some big depth NEXT year. Of course the kid is an upgrade over MN and AG - that's obvious, but in the short term not gonna help in an area where we may be thin. I'm not unhappy about. In fact, looks like he could be quite useful in the future, but I think it is fair to have questions about the roster construction. 

This is where I am at. I don't think it is that critical of a position.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

For those of you that follow the star ratings, ESPN had him at 4 stars and a position ranking of 28. He is listed at 6'9" and 266 lbs. These may be HS numbers though. However he is big and had good rankings. I think he will be a very good addition to the team after his year as a red shirt.

Agree, most bigs need a few years to reach their potential at the college level. At the very least a significant improvement over the backups we had this year. The man shot 55% from the field and a very respectable 71% from the line. 

I did go the USF's site and checked their 2016 results. They did poorly with only 1 conference win. However, the few game stats I checked indicate that Luis Santos was playing around 20 minutes per game in the games I checked, he was getting about 6 rebounds per game, generally was a very good  with FTs (4 out of 4), and would get a decent number of points per game. One of the games I checked he scored 14 points. This guy is definitely better than Neufeld and Gilmann for sure.

12 minutes ago, HoosierBilliken said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akfB45GNwnQ

Watch only 1:41 to 2:20.  Uh, I see potential boys.  Although, that one miss and then rebound kind of sort of reminded me of Reggie in a small, tiny way at the beginning...  But his rebound was Conklin times 4.  He will be a beast.

Thanks for posting.