Groce gone.

SLU_Nick

On 3/11/2017 at 4:11 PM, majerus mojo said:

Indiana and OSU are the best jobs in the B10. Illinois is in the middle somewhere. I don't even know how you can make an argument aside from, "well if they did this and this and this, and if this goes right and this goes right..." -- which I guess is what you are attempting to say? 

Ohio State failed to even make the NIT field. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

And? I know you're better than this

Although I'm an Illinois native and grew up observing the Big Ten (and the old Big Eight for that matter), I am not particularly an Illinois supporter and in fact have often had my differences with that program, especially the current way its fanbase disses SLU.  Illinois has a long history of not having the right basketball coach for that school.

This being said, Ohio State is not a better Basketball school than Illinois.  Ohio State is a football school.  Illinois is a #2 seed in the NIT with its Coach fired and an Interim Coach/Recruiter running the team for the NIT.  Ohio State is not in the NIT field.  Illinois has been to 2 Final Fours in the modern era, once under Lou Henson and once under Bruce Weber, coaching Bill Self recruits.

Indiana has relied in the past on out of state talent from Illinois, as I noted above. 

I would agree that the top basketball program in the Big Ten currently is Michigan State. This is cyclical, and it has not always been that way. 

Huh. I don't care what Illinois or OSU have done in the past. I'm just saying that OSU is the better job right now. More resources, more recent success, better recruiting classes, i.e., somewhere more kids and blue chippers across the country look at when considering their options. The OSU job would be the top job on the market were it open now. 

Illinois made the NIT this year! Great. Who cares.

I have no affinity for OSU whatsoever, but people are constantly pumping up Illinois (over Indiana? Seriously?) and it can be very perplexing 

8 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

I'm not that high on Tilmon.  I'd take him on the Bills for sure, but I don't think he's a surefire NBA player.

Not sure what you watched when you saw him play.  He's as talented of a high school center that I've ever seen.    As 3 star says, give him decent guards that can give him the ball and a coach that knows how to use him.  

That all said he is not going to be a billiken.   We need to move on.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Not sure what you watched when you saw him play.  He's as talented of a high school center that I've ever seen.    As 3 star says, give him decent guards that can give him the ball and a coach that knows how to use him.  

That all said he is not going to be a billiken.   We need to move on.

Sorry, Roy. No can do. Even if Tilmon isn't coming to SLU trolling the Illinois fans is just too much fun 

11 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Although I'm an Illinois native and grew up observing the Big Ten (and the old Big Eight for that matter), I am not particularly an Illinois supporter and in fact have often had my differences with that program, especially the current way its fanbase disses SLU.  Illinois has a long history of not having the right basketball coach for that school.

This being said, Ohio State is not a better Basketball school than Illinois.  Ohio State is a football school.  Illinois is a #2 seed in the NIT with its Coach fired and an Interim Coach/Recruiter running the team for the NIT.  Ohio State is not in the NIT field.  Illinois has been to 2 Final Fours in the modern era, once under Lou Henson and once under Bruce Weber, coaching Bill Self recruits.

Indiana has relied in the past on out of state talent from Illinois, as I noted above. 

I would agree that the top basketball program in the Big Ten currently is Michigan State. This is cyclical, and it has not always been that way. 

They might have the best coach/"Dean" of the Big Ten, but it's a toss-up between Michigan and Wisconsin as of March 13, 2017. The two schools have made deep Final Four runs recently, and haven't got knocked out in the early rounds by 15-seed Middle Tennessee State University and Nail Care Salon. Purdue is too inconsistent and so is Maryland. Northwestern and Minnesota even are considered schools rising from the ashes of Bill Carmody and Tubby Smith, respectively.

4 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

They might have the best coach/"Dean" of the Big Ten, but it's a toss-up between Michigan and Wisconsin as of March 13, 2017. The two schools have made deep Final Four runs recently, and haven't got knocked out in the early rounds by 15-seed Middle Tennessee State University and Nail Care Salon. Purdue is too inconsistent and so is Maryland. Northwestern and Minnesota even are considered schools rising from the ashes of Bill Carmody and Tubby Smith, respectively.

MSU was in the Final Four two years ago with with Wisconsin and that appearance was more recent than Michigan's last.  Hell, Michigan missed the tournament that season.

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

MSU was in the Final Four two years ago with with Wisconsin and that appearance was more recent than Michigan's last.  Hell, Michigan missed the tournament that season.

I'd rather miss the tournament than lose be embarrassed by 9 to a 15-seed directional school. Not too many people can name programs that miss the Dance (without the help of Wikipedia), but a lot of people outside Murfreesboro, Tennessee will remember the best game of the 2016 NCAA Tournament.

Just now, Bobby Metzinger said:

I'd rather miss the tournament than lose by 9 to a 15-seed directional school. Not too many people can name programs that miss the Dance, but a lot of people outside Murfreesboro, Tennessee will remember the best game of the 2016 NCAA Tournament.

Your athletic department budget would rather you make the tournament 20 years in a row, make the final four three times in the last eight seasons, the elite eight four times in the last eight seasons and the sweet sixteen six times in the last eight seasons.  

17 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-in the interests of full disclosure, as of this time, I have not been asked by the ADept to fund a leather briefcase of cash for Tilmon, I wonder if someone else has?

Check the briefcase schedule.  You're not up for briefcase duty until May.

After reading all the posts on this Board, not sure many here would even want Tilmon who would have to fight for scraps of time due to the great Welmer.  :unsure: And to add, all the delusionals who believe there should actually be a "debate" if Mr. Hines will and/or should get playing time next and/or a scholarship.  And don't forget all those who believe Bishop is a high level D1 player as well.  

6 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

After reading all the posts on this Board, not sure many here would even want Tilmon who would have to fight for scraps of time due to the great Welmer.  :unsure: And to add, all the delusionals who believe there should actually be a "debate" if Mr. Hines will and/or should get playing time next and/or a scholarship.  And don't forget all those who believe Bishop is a high level D1 player as well.  

Give me delusional over diickhead any day