Post Update

kshoe

that is exactly the kind of offseason report the billiken fandom and the casual fan we are trying to convert needs to read. now if it can become a weekly feature......

The Athletic Department releases the non-conference schedule (and not the entire schedule) and gets a nifty plug on page 1 of the Post sports section, to wit:

SLU will play

tougher schedule

The Billikens should get a boost to their overall ratings percentage index with a nonconference schedule that includes Gonzaga and Southern Illinois University Carbondale. Coach Brad Soderberg said a stronger slate will be more attractive to the NCAA Tournament selection committee. D6

---

And then there are about 10 column-inches of story inside, include more than just about the schedule.

Was I dreaming, or was a similar scenario posted on this board not two days ago. (Disclaimer: I've never met Stu, I don't communicate with Stu at the office, and I did absolutely nothing to turn the posted hypothetical into reality.)

>about it being easier to get Jucos in SLU than at Wisconsin.

>It certainly is an eye brow raiser considering the contrary

>discussions seen here.

The problem at SLU is, if you are a transfer you never know what your major is going to end up to be. In the case with TF...initially a business major coming in from 2 years at UAB and then a year at Chipola,JUCO, Tom had to settle for a psychology degree to be accepted by SLU based on the hours accepted by SLU. Grades were not an issue concerning the courses at either school.

UW's always had a very good academic reputation. One of the finest in the Big-10. That said, I still can't see where it would be any harder for a JUCO to get into UW than SLU because of the multiple majors a JUCO could get at UW vs SLU, i.e. phys ed comes to mind. Can't imagine if an impact JUCO player wanted to go to UW they would deny him if he had the proper number of credit hours (unlike you know who in Boone County). But who knows maybe they have higher admission requirements than we do. This is off the top of my head but I would guess it's easier to get into SLU as a freshman than UW.

First of all that is nonsense. If you can get into SLU by meeting the normal standards not the low end range that all schools allow at the last minute to fill out their class you can get into WI. Second, Brad will not ever say in public that the admission policy is a problem at SLU - he has to wait for the right time and the right AD to push for the change.

about Wisconsin admission procedures but I do agree that Brad isn't being completely honest in that statement. In fact, I think many times Brad makes statements that aren't lies but at the same time aren't true (e.g. bench-warmer X is going to be a major contributor this season) and people take it as the word. Brad has many reasons for these half true statements and I don't fault him for any of them. The last thing he needs to do is sound like he is publicly whining that SLU admissions are too difficult. Complaints like that should be private.

Earl is a very funny and witty guy so I would not be surprised if he coined that (as well as many other things). I was not consciously channeling Earl when I used it here though--it is just someone wrote "Brad attitude" and "Braditude" seemed like an obvious expression.

I'm sure Brad Soderberg knows better than we do. Second of all, think about it: very rarely does ANY Big Ten school have a juco transfer because of the conference's requirements (I believe they still have to sit out a year). Thus, it's not an academic thing, but it's still harder to recruit a juco to Wisconsin than SLU.

More importantly Wisconsin would need to avoid being swamped by transfers from the other 10 public schools in the Wisconsin system. A degree from Madison is a very good value for the money and would need to avoid students from River Falls, Oshkosh, etc. transfering to get a better looking degree.

People need to transfer but all universities use academic transfer rules to crontrol the flow.

I don't think Brad makes half true statements. I'm sure he believes it to be harder at Wisconsin than at SLU. Also as for the example about a bench warmer being a major contributor ... I guess that depends on your idea about a major contributor.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

considers Husak a major contributor last year. That would have been quite an accomplishment!

All I meant to say about the half-truth comment was Brad, like most coaches, speaks in what I call "coach-talk" which should rarely be construed as facts. The best example I can give of this was Lou Holtz who made it sound like every team they were playing was the top team in the country. "Coach-talk" comes in many forms, one of them is not ripping the university he works for.

For example, Brad has said at Billiken Club meetings he has never been denied airfare to go recruit a player. However, Brad, unlike a Bill Self for example, will likely be flying to his choice destination on Southwest. Self will be taking a private plane. Clearly that is not the same thing.

No offense meant to Brad.