OT: Darius Miles' Stuff Auctioned for Bankruptcy

Pistol

Does the NBA have a retirement plan like the NFL has so Darius has something to fall back on?

3 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Does the NBA have a retirement plan like the NFL has so Darius has something to fall back on?

Per Investopedia in 2010: "NBA players have one of the most generous pension plans in all of professional sports. They are vested into their pension plans after playing at least three seasons in the league. The minimum benefit for a player that retires at the age of 62 is $56,988 per year - not a bad retirement for a three-year career.

The maximum benefit for any player is $195,000, and it takes 11 years of NBA service to qualify for this benefit.

But that's not all! NBA players are also eligible to participate in a league-sponsored 401(k). The NBA matches player's contributions up to 140%."

So the answer is yes, but not enough to cover his expenses.

I don't know how many kids he has overall, but if he had those kids while he was earning an NBA salary, that's bad news, depending on the state. He was drafted by the Clippers, and if any kids were born in California, I know that at the time of divorce and/or child support determination, you become responsible for a percentage of your current income, even if you lose employment, until the kid is 18. (I have no idea how it is in other states, but heard the horror story about Dave Foley's divorce and child support nightmare in an interview.) So the $20,000 he lists in current child support debt isn't bad at all, actually; those monthly hits can add up to a way, way bigger number in not much time if you're making millions.

It also says he owns 12 properties in ESL, so he clearly spent a decent amount taking care of people.

$1 million+ underwater right now - ouch.

6 minutes ago, CBFan said:

With his credited years of service, he will be looking at pension in excess of $100,000 a year when he turns 62.  He has to wait 27 years but that is money his creditors can't touch

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Per Investopedia in 2010: "NBA players have one of the most generous pension plans in all of professional sports. They are vested into their pension plans after playing at least three seasons in the league. The minimum benefit for a player that retires at the age of 62 is $56,988 per year - not a bad retirement for a three-year career.

The maximum benefit for any player is $195,000, and it takes 11 years of NBA service to qualify for this benefit.

But that's not all! NBA players are also eligible to participate in a league-sponsored 401(k). The NBA matches player's contributions up to 140%."

So the answer is yes, but not enough to cover his expenses.

I don't know how many kids he has overall, but if he had those kids while he was earning an NBA salary, that's bad news, depending on the state. He was drafted by the Clippers, and if any kids were born in California, I know that at the time of divorce and/or child support determination, you become responsible for a percentage of your current income, even if you lose employment, until the kid is 18. (I have no idea how it is in other states, but heard the horror story about Dave Foley's divorce and child support nightmare in an interview.) So the $20,000 he lists in current child support debt isn't bad at all, actually; those monthly hits can add up to a way, way bigger number in not much time if you're making millions.

It also says he owns 12 properties in ESL, so he clearly spent a decent amount taking care of people.

$1 million+ underwater right now - ouch.

That child support number shocked me.  That number usually sky high in cases like Miles.  That means he kept paying his high child support amount as his money dried up.  That isn't normal in cases like this.  Good for Miles.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

That child support number shocked me.  That number usually sky high in cases like Miles.  That means he kept paying his high child support amount as his money dried up.  That isn't normal in cases like this.  Good for Miles.

Yeah, you normally see six (or sometimes seven) figures for guys out of the league this long. So I guess he's mostly taken care of business even as things have dried up for him.

Any time someone has a pension that is allowed to be transferable, they can sell it to finance companies who pay them pennies on the dollar.  If he was outspending his means, he may have already cashed in his pension.  I don't know if the NBA makes its plan non-transferrable, but if not, they should.

11 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

If memory serves me correctly, didn't SLU (Romar) finish second to St. John's in the Miles recruitment? Not that it would have mattered if he signed here, obviously he was never going to play college ball. 

Yeah, but that may have been a symbolic gesture, like LeBron James "committing" to Ohio State. Miles liked and respected Romar; Romar was just late to the party by the time he got hired by SLU. Miles was in the bag for St. John's by then, not that he ended up there, anyway.

4 hours ago, Box and Won said:

In fairness to Darius, you and I could probably buy 12 ESL properties and not come close to maxing out our credit cards.

East St Louis is really just the Baltic and Mediterranean Avenues of the St Louis area. 

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 2:00 PM, Old guy said:

Feel sorry for the guy, from riches to bankrupt in a few years, and 27 years to wait before the pension kicks in! Not shocked by the child support he paid, if you divorce in certain states, the child support costs are very high. 

I don't understand how or why someone would feel sorry for him. He was afforded opportunities and salaries far beyond what 95%+ of people in the US make. I can't feel sorry for stupid.

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I don't understand how or why someone would feel sorry for him. He was afforded opportunities and salaries far beyond what 95%+ of people in the US make. I can't feel sorry for stupid.

99%. According to SI 78% of NFL players are bankrupt or in financial distress 2 years after retirement. In the NBA 60% are bankrupt after 5 years. Obviously NBA players make more money. 

13 hours ago, willie said:

99%. According to SI 78% of NFL players are bankrupt or in financial distress 2 years after retirement. In the NBA 60% are bankrupt after 5 years. Obviously NBA players make more money. 

I'm a little surprised it's that high. For Old Guy you call it out of control, I'll stick with stupid.