Article on Travis

slu72

Reading the PD's article on Travis working overtime for the Bama game sure makes it sound that he sees this year as more than just an audition for next year. Refreshing to see this attitude.

His main criticism of this team seems to be with their intensity. Am sure some of this is a hangover from the Crews nightmare, ie we can't win so why try. To hear him urge these guys on and face the man in the mirror again is very encouraging going forward. Not sure it will make a big difference in this year's W column, but it's good to see Travis is actually trying to coach these guys up and not just judging who will be around next year. Go Travis Ford.

Also get the impression he may be stalking the board. When he says it doesn't matter what others think about our talent and chances you've got to think he's seen a lot of the negativity on here. I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to ragging on this group but always with the caveat it's not their fault. The blame rests squarely at the feet of Jim Crews. Still, it would be better to applaud their efforts given their limitations than being an uninformed amateur critic all season long. So, good luck tonight Bills, roll back the Tide.

That is what I hoped would happen between the coach and the team after a serious defeat by a superior team. The outcome, of course, depends on the players learning their lessons and making corrections, but they plainly cannot do this unless the coach provides the necessary environment for constructive self evaluation. Under Crews, the environment was based upon "do as I say or be punished." Ford has the better idea, giving the players a better environment that allows them to grow up to the next level in as much as they can. No one says they will turn into a top 10 team, but the individual players can do better by finding ways to satisfy the "man in the mirror." What Ford is doing is encouraging the players to feel more like partners with the coach, always the better idea. 

Coach is right about this team. They have talent, and several of the players will be significant contributors next year. But, they're also going to give us some excitement this year.

Monday night's game against BYU may have been the best played 30 pt loss in Billiken's history. But in the end, lack of depth killed them. It probably would have been a completely different game if the Bill's still had Brett Jolly to give them an additional 8 minutes and 5 fouls, but that is water under the dam.

I'm seeing improvement with every game. Yes, Travis can also coach. This team will not finish in last place.

1 hour ago, David King said:

Coach is right about this team. They have talent, and several of the players will be significant contributors next year. But, they're also going to give us some excitement this year.

Monday night's game against BYU may have been the best played 30 pt loss in Billiken's history. But in the end, lack of depth killed them. It probably would have been a completely different game if the Bill's still had Brett Jolly to give them an additional 8 minutes and 5 fouls, but that is water under the dam.

I'm seeing improvement with every game. Yes, Travis can also coach. This team will not finish in last place.

I am ok with losing the game if it means we are done with a stiff.  Having the stiff back for one game is not worth it.  I do agree that Jolly knew how to goon it up.

Walking the the talk is where the rubber meets the road.  I agree that Ford has little choice but to try to fire them up but as the movie The Natural says - losing is a disease - this team  has had 2 years of losing and you don't shake the fever in 4 games.  Ford is trying to figure out who he can keep and who he can help understand the facts of life.  These players whether they know it or not are playing for a schollie next year.  The only ones who are being given the benefit of the doubt are the two freshmen - they will be given time to grow but grow they must this year.  The others well they had their time too bad it was wasted with Crews but that is life.  Ford wants to win - he wants show the D1 world that they were wrong about him.  Hopefully this happens and he stays loyal to the program who believed in him.

From everything I've heard and read, Ford is a tireless worker. He is a non-stop recruiter and watches video for hours.  Many coaches wouldn't waste all this energy on this season given the talent level, but he is pushing just as hard as he would with a tourney-level team.  Love his attitude. 

So far coach Ford has showed he can coach.  The BYU game was exciting for 30 minutes until the team collapsed in the last 10 minutes.  Even though I get some criticism for my enthusiasm for this years team and the coach I will remain excited for the season and enjoy watching this current team grow.  Bishop, Roby, Welmer, Moore, and Johnson will be solid contributors next season with the 5 newcomers.  I will not give up on Neufeld because I would like to see if he can grow this season to at least a post defender.  I wonder what the outcome of the first 4 games would be if Mike Crawford was shooting 48 percent from the field, 35 percent from the 3 point line, and 80 percent from the free throw line.  I am pulling for Mike to improve and have a good senior season.

58 minutes ago, SShoe said:

From everything I've heard and read, Ford is a tireless worker. He is a non-stop recruiter and watches video for hours.  Many coaches wouldn't waste all this energy on this season given the talent level. 

Really? Give me some examples of coaches who tanked.  

Those coaches wouldn't have a job next season.  Ford IS getting paid to coach this season.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Really? Give me some examples of coaches who tanked.  

Those coaches wouldn't have a job next season.  Ford IS getting paid to coach this season.

I'm not suggesting a coach would tank, but I think many coaches would focus more on building towards the future at the expense of a current team.  For example, I don't believe Majerus put all that much effort into the players on his first year's squad.   He ran off 3 players that didn't fit his vision, but one--relphorde--was a player and could've helped early during his tenure.  Everything he did that first year was about building a foundation for the future, which was great, but I think it came at the expense of Lisch and Liddell. 

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

CBFan, the one I think has full physical ability with no limitations and could improve his game a lot is Roby. Crawford is trying hard but may not be physically able to get there.

I think Roby has already showed improvement from last year but are there other parts of his game that you think he can improve on?  I agree that Mike Crawford is trying hard and has always worked hard and will be fondly remembered as player that all of us like when his senior season is over.  If Mike could get back to form I think both losses would have been a lot closer.  I read your posts and know you understand the physical issues with Mike and my question is does it effect his shooting and can he get there?

2 hours ago, SShoe said:

Ford is a tireless worker. He is a non-stop recruiter and watches video for hours. 

Relentless, legendary workaholic, leading by example.  HoosierPal, all due respect, but Coach Ford works harder than about 95% of coaches.  I'm pretty impressed with his insistence that we WIN NOW, and at the very least play with heart and intensity NOW.

ps: we will have 6 or even 7 new faces next year, not just 5.

To me, based on the little I know about Ford, I bet he (like many other coaches) loves this type of season.  You often hear coaches talk about the .500 season they had with a less talented team as the season where they excelled the most as a coach.  It really tests his coaching ability, yet there is no downside for him this season.  The lack of expectations really allows him some flexibility.  Hopefully, he grows as a coach, which allows greater success in future years where more is expected.  

15 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

To me, based on the little I know about Ford, I bet he (like many other coaches) loves this type of season.  You often hear coaches talk about the .500 season they had with a less talented team as the season where they excelled the most as a coach.  It really tests his coaching ability, yet there is no downside for him this season.  The lack of expectations really allows him some flexibility.  Hopefully, he grows as a coach, which allows greater success in future years where more is expected.  

I only know of one coach who ever said this.

Image result for blue chips

28 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Relentless, legendary workaholic, leading by example.  HoosierPal, all due respect, but Coach Ford works harder than about 95% of coaches.  I'm pretty impressed with his insistence that we WIN NOW, and at the very least play with heart and intensity NOW.

ps: we will have 6 or even 7 new faces next year, not just 5.

Exactly why I won't write off the season and will enjoy what we have now.  It appears you think that more will be leaving and that coach Ford will find maybe two others to fill those scholarships, interesting.

20 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I see what you're saying it's like you meet someone off Bumble they show up and aren't quite what you expected from the pics but it's late you're lonely so what the hell.  You go on with it there's no pressure so you can do what you want.

I never did that first hand but I've heard stuff like that happens.

So Coach Ford swiped right on SLU cause it was late and this is the woman (team) that showed up. So he's like what the hell.

1 minute ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I see what you're saying it's like you meet someone off Bumble they show up and stent quite what you expected from the pics but it's late you're lonely so what the hell.  You go on with it there's no pressure so you can do what you want.

I never did that first hand but I've heard stuff like that happens.

So Coach Ford swiped right on SLU cause it was late and this is the woman (team) that showed up. So he's like what the hell.

Exactly.  Or so I've heard.  

22 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I agree - he can play the role of the spoiler night in and night out. Tell these kids how a loss to SLU will kill their RPI come March. Play with nothing to lose! Putting the "Pest" in Prez Pestello's pupils.

55 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I agree that Mike Crawford is trying hard and has always worked hard and will be fondly remembered as player that all of us like when his senior season is over.  If Mike could get back to form I think both losses would have been a lot closer.  I read your posts and know you understand the physical issues with Mike and my question is does it effect his shooting and can he get there?

I believe his injuries affect his shooting. I am not a basketball player and have no way to know this for sure, but I believe shooting during a game is controlled by very fine split second coordination between the motion and positioning of his lower extremities and his upper trunk / arm motions. If the lower part of the body is not positioning itself as he is / was used to during shooting, the shots are likely to miss. There are many reasons why this may happen. In a worst case scenario he may be experiencing symptoms of recurrence, pain or stiffness and movements that do not work as they should; in a best case scenario he is just weak and has not fully recovered his strength. We really have no way of knowing which is the case.