GDT: Eastern Illinois

SluSignGuy

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, worst case scenario in that sequence. Gotta be smart here. Protect the ball, hit free throws.

Do you think coach needs to recruit a guard with the remaining scholarship

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Do you think coach needs to recruit a guard with the remaining scholarship

I'll go out on a limb and say yes.

PG and a post player, my wish list for next season. (We're going to have more than one spot to fill.)

1 minute ago, JettFlight5 said:

For those watching, did Ford steal an intentional foul call there?

It was definitely an intentional 

Welmer is a keeper, and Reggie looked good again. Glad to see Roby stepping up. Bishop could be more efficient, but he played reasonably well today. Crawford looks hurt, but still can be a solid glue guy. Johnson being scrappy on the glass and playing some good help defense was a nice surprise. Moore didn't do much, but I still like the way he looks out there. Hines, Gillmann and Neufeld were blah.

Great coaching today by Ford and staff. Plays worked well and I think they have figured out a rotation, which are two things I haven't been able to say in a few years. So that's refreshing.

Only five blocked shots in the stat sheet - I think we had at least 7, given that some of those probable fouls weren't called. Welmer and Johnson had a few in a row in the second half. Oh well.

Good win. I'll take any win in any circumstances.

BYU is an excellent team. That will probably be another 20+ point loss. Mika-Haws-Emery are a formidable top three.

3 minutes ago, Zink said:

Welmer is a keeper, and Reggie looked good again. Glad to see Roby stepping up. Bishop could be more efficient, but he played reasonably well today. Crawford looks hurt, but still can be a solid glue guy. Johnson being scrappy on the glass and playing some good help defense was a nice surprise. Moore didn't do much, but I still like the way he looks out there. Hines, Gillmann and Neufeld were blah.

Great coaching today by Ford and staff. Plays worked well and I think they have figured out a rotation, which are two things I haven't been able to say in a few years. So that's refreshing.

Elliott "The Over" Welmer!!!! That friggin' guy is a beast.

2 minutes ago, Zink said:

Going back to look at stats, Hines +/- was a remarkable -21 in 5min. How is that even possible???

Take a bad shot or turn it over each time you touch it and it's possible.

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Only five blocked shots in the stat sheet - I think we had at least 7, given that some of those probable fouls weren't called. Welmer and Johnson had a few in a row in the second half. Oh well.

Good win. I'll take any win in any circumstances.

BYU is an excellent team. That will probably be another 20+ point loss. Mika-Haws-Emery are a formidable top three.

They haven't seen the Elliott Welmer show yet.

Brianstl, I'm with you.  I don't see what people see in Welmer.  He actually missed a shot tonight.  HE MISSED A SHOT.  And if he can only score 15 points in 19 minutes, what good is he.  He needs to carry his weight.  If he can't shoot better than his current 60% from the field and 50% from the three, we don't need him.  Send him back to HoosierVille.  You called it right!

38 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'll go out on a limb and say yes.

PG and a post player, my wish list for next season. (We're going to have more than one spot to fill.)

Frankly, Bartley would look good this year in a SLU uniform.  He would be getting solid minutes as our #3 guard.  Wish he had stayed.

This was my first time seeing this group of players in person. A few minutes into the game, when Wemer got his second cheap foul, I told my buddy who had just showed up that Welmer easily appeared to be the best player on the court. In the second half, he validated my statement. He is lean strong and shockingly skilled for his size big size. That kid is going to be a key contributor the next four years no matter how many 4*  kids we sign. 

Just home from the game. The arena was about 25-30% full, more kids in the student section this time, not full. Enthusiasm was so so at times good at times. As the Wiz mentioned we were pretty well matched, which is not a good thing to be in this case. We did beat them, so the directional arrow is pointing up for us. We came close to losing the game towards the end of the first half when Gillmann fouled someone shooting from beyond the arc. They got very energized and we ended the half 11 pts down. No idea what Ford told them but they came out and had a 10-0 run that probably salvaged the game. 

As many people have said we have a number of players that are contributing and are good, Welmer, Agbeko, Roby, Bishop is improving a lot and is scoring a lot more, Johnson is still a bit confused but is catching on and doing nice things. Moore I think will be fine as well. Crawford can run and can defend but he cannot shoot, even simple layups do not go in when he shoots them. It is true that he can shoot free throws, but not much else. Hines can be used to give Bishop a break here and there. Gillmann and Neufeld are not doing much. Neufeld actually caught at least one rebound and had the ball taken out of his hands. I know they will continue playing this year, because Agbeko and Welmer have to go to the bench at times (Johnson is capable to go in for them), but whenever these two are out the play level deteriorates.

I was looking at Crawford shoot FTs, he does a nice arc but when shooting he ends standing tip toed. I think this one of those things that is can strain his plantar fascia significantly. I hope he lasts the season but as it stands now, he is a non scoring player that can defend.

One thing that I found interesting was that the vegas implied score, this afternoon before the game, had us winning by 5 points, and we won by 5 points.

One observation early on in the game a group of 8 or 10 kids all very tall and very muscled came in and sat together in a row not far from where I was. I do wonder if this was a local high school basketball team coming to see the game together.

11 minutes ago, davidnark said:

This was my first time seeing this group of players in person. A few minutes into the game, when Wemer got his second cheap foul, I told my buddy who had just showed up that Welmer easily appeared to be the best player on the court. In the second half, he validated my statement. He is lean strong and shockingly skilled for his size big size. That kid is going to be a key contributor the next four years no matter how many 4*  kids we sign. 

That guy is a flat baller. I was impressed with him in the Bahamas Tourney last year and more impressed now. He plays so much like one of Duke's bigs that I'm worried a phone call from Coach K might be happening soon. :D

20 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Frankly, Bartley would look good this year in a SLU uniform.  He would be getting solid minutes as our #3 guard.  Wish he had stayed.

When Bartley left, I was originally thinking "who cares Ford will get someone better and it will let the younger guys get more minutes."  I have to admit that this team could really use him though.  Hines shouldn't be getting any minutes and we are thin on guards.

I also have to admit that I thought Ageko and Crawford's minutes should decrease as the season goes on because they won't be around next year.  3 games in I'm ready to admit that isn't an issue.  It is clear that Reggie is one of our best players and needs to play if we have any hope of being competitive on the glass.  I suppose I wouldn't mind seeing a little bit more minutes for Johnson and Moore and maybe those come from Crawford, but it is really a non-issue.  Our top 7 players should be getting most minutes.  Hines, Neufeld, and Gillmann should only be used very sparingly or in an emergency.

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I think we have a clear understanding of the starting 5 and the next 2 off.

And even that seemingly simple concept is a drastic improvement over Crews.  Maybe i'm just wanting Ford to be a better coach than Crews, but in the limited sample size, it seems Ford is a much better coach (i.e. effective zone, inbounds plays, press, fairly consistent rotation...oh, and recruiting). 

Welmer played very well. he has good confidence on the court.  Johnson played very well for a freshman.  He hustles and it translates into good things like a turn over.  He did not get credit for it but it was his hustle that knocked the ball loose.  Hines was turned inside out by their #2, he could not guard him a lick and he was just over matched when he was on the court.  After Ford took him out Ford was lecturing on the bench and he never did get back on except for at the end of the game for one possession.  If he continues to play like tonight then he is not even worth putting in to spell Bishop at all.  It was during his time in there that EIU made their run for their 11 point halftime lead. Gillman had a bad game -  he looked as if he was over matched.  If he can not play against EIU - I know they were an even match for us - he will be beaten on like a drum against a good team.  Reggie had a good game - finally he seems to be putting it together.  Moore played defense well when he was on the court and I am sure that impacted his offense but I would rather see a freshman honing his defense now than only being concerned with scoring. Roby had a good game and Crawford is not distinguishing himself but I guess the injury must still be a problem.  I do agree that Bartley would be an upgrade from Hines but who would you like not to be here that we got using his schollie - yes I know we still have one left but Ford will use it this spring and had Bartley stayed he would have been here for two years.  I am not saying he should have left but since he did we did upgrade maybe not at the position but at team level.  Overall, I was impressed with their play and hard fought comeback.  If they play this hard the rest of the year they will win some games many thought we would lose. 

A number of people have asked what happened at halftime...what was the adjustment?...what did Ford tell them? In the post game interview, he said he chewed them out at halftime. 44 points was unacceptable against any team anywhere. He had tried all sorts of defenses in the 1st half and nothing worked.  He  told them for the 2nd half ...figure it out...don't go looking to the bench for zones or anything else...figure it out......and they did.