Coaching Candidates

JMM28

Did you listen to Frank's show later on? Did you catch the part about some Drew insider texted into him to reply about what would attract Drew to the job and the answer was the school, money and something about conference realignment for SLU?

I am not sure if I heard the conference realignment part right, if it was just BS or if we should think that the Big East as a destination for SLU might be back on the table.

We got him!

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What an exciting potential hire!

This style wouldn't go over well with our guys. They already think they know it all, and practice is not all that important. Beard! But since UALR lost and no news that ship seems to be sailing away.

Regarding conference realignment -- I have been told that Fox Sports would still like to expand the BE to 12, that St. Louis/SLU is still the most desirable market/school, and that the administration is committed to fund and operate the entire athletic department at a BE level to support the desire. However, I have also been told that there is not necessarily a groundswell of support among the BE school presidents to expand.

Maybe a bit off the topic, but regarding Big East expansion, I think they would be well off to go, at some point, to 14 teams -- to match that of most of the "Power" conferences -- adding SLU and Dayton in the Midwest and two East Coast schools (like St. Bonaventure, perhaps, and another).

I'd be shocked if SLU would offer anyone $2 mil a year. I don't think they'll go much higher than what they paid Coach Majerus, and that would be for a proven successful head coach, not someone with potential. A coach with lesser credentials would likely start in the range of what Crews was making.

Be prepared to be shocked. We will go well over what Majerus was making in order to get Drew

I'd be shocked if SLU would offer anyone $2 mil a year. I don't think they'll go much higher than what they paid Coach Majerus, and that would be for a proven successful head coach, not someone with potential. A coach with lesser credentials would likely start in the range of what Crews was making.

You're wrong

Be prepared to be shocked. We will go well over what Majerus was making in order to get Drew

Hmm. While I would be satisfied with Bryce Drew as SLU's coach and hope that he can establish a top program similar to what Brad Stevens established at Butler (or, better, what Billy Donovan established at Florida -- acknowledging that that school isn't similar to SLU), I question whether he has coming in a repution exceeding that of Majerus. Maybe performance incentives could kick the total package up, but I can hardly see a base salary that high. Does he really have the level of success that Majerus had?

Did you listen to Frank's show later on? Did you catch the part about some Drew insider texted into him to reply about what would attract Drew to the job and the answer was the school, money and something about conference realignment for SLU?

I am not sure if I heard the conference realignment part right, if it was just BS or if we should think that the Big East as a destination for SLU might be back on the table.

It's about 10:30 mark of segment 5. He said somebody close to the situation texted him and said "I think he will come if the money and the potential for conference realignment were attractive"

Regarding conference realignment -- I have been told that Fox Sports would still like to expand the BE to 12, that St. Louis/SLU is still the most desirable market/school, and that the administration is committed to fund and operate the entire athletic department at a BE level to support the desire. However, I have also been told that there is not necessarily a groundswell of support among the BE school presidents to expand.

This is exciting...as I commented on another thread, the only way to expand the size of the pie is for the Big East add more teams. I would surmise that Fox is going to eventually get its way since they represent the money, it just comes down to when.

Sure. I'm always wrong, except when I'm right.

I'm not saying I hope to be right; I just doubt SLU is going to pay a coach twice as much as they've ever done.

Majerus was hired almost a decade ago. There has been a lot of inflation in salary for coaches since then.

Sure. I'm always wrong, except when I'm right.

I'm not saying I hope to be right; I just doubt SLU is going to pay a coach twice as much as they've ever done.

I wouldn't be surprised..Chaifetz and whoever else got a taste of what we can be like and I think they will up the amount to get there again and sustain that. I don't have any inside knowledge, just my gut feeling. Have to spend to get to where we want to be. I'm not saying it will be double necessarily, but I think we are going to go much higher than the Majerus salary.

This is exciting...as I commented on another thread, the only way to expand the size of the pie is for the Big East add more teams. I would surmise that Fox is going to eventually get its way since they represent the money, it just comes down to when.

The current Big East members would probably want to tie it to an extension of the contract.

The current Big East members would probably want to tie it to an extension of the contract.

Which is great news for us. Fox gets more teams (hence more $), Big East gets to leverage the expansion into a longer deal. Win/Win...

Anyone know what the current A-10 coaches' salaries are? Would SLU's paying $2 mil/yr put them at the top?

If we get Drew he will end up getting $1.5-$2 million is all im saying. Hes not coming here for $900,000. Its obvious that hes our top target and anyone with half a brain realizes it will take that much to get him to leave Valpo.

If SLU wants to be serious about basketball eventually we have to quit being cheap. This hire would be a good place to start.

The idea that SLU is "cheap" went away when we hired Majerus and Chaifetz opened. Sure, there has been some nickel-and-diming by a somewhat clueless prior administration, but overall cheapness hasn't been the case.

I wonder if Dr. Pestello has been hearing from any little birdies regarding Big East expansion and that sped up the timetable for making a coaching change. If the Big East is considering expansion, then it behooves SLU to make its commitment to perpetual success obvious. Otherwise, there might have been more willingness to stick with Crews one year longer to decrease the pain of the buyout.