Coaching Candidates

JMM28

It's also hard to beat every team that is required for them to do, 3 times in one season. Are you telling me that you would be mad as a SLU fan, if SLU won the regular season every year but lost in the conference tournament? You would still be dancing? It would be a bummer, since winning is fun, but you're still sitting pretty.

-how did that dancing go for the Bonnies this year?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul Oren is on with Frank right now. He covers Valpo. He says his gut feeling is that he stays at Valpo because he wants to see this team in the NCAA tournament next year. Also, he doesnt see Drew going to Pittsburgh. He would think Drew would go to SLU before Pitt but ultimately he stays at Valpo

You're completely missing the point. The objective is to make it to the tournament. It's literally that simple. You do realize its hard to advance in the tournament when you don't make it, right?

Paul Oren is on with Frank right now. He covers Valpo. He says his gut feeling is that he stays at Valpo because he wants to see this team in the NCAA tournament next year. Also, he doesnt see Drew going to Pittsburgh. He would think Drew would go to SLU before Pitt but ultimately he stays at Valpo

If Bryce is worried about leaving Valpo in the best possible shape for the next coach this is the time for him to go. It would give the next coach the best chance to succeed on the court and then hit the recruiting trail.

Yea, I guess I am.

Why did the Big East dismiss us?

Why no NBA players? Okay Willie, who everyone treats as a pariah here.

I want the program to be like X and Gonzaga. Since we had not had success like they did on hiring within (Sodie & Crews), we have an opportunity to hit the home run now with a name coach from a major conference. Let's not settle, like we always seem to do. Only when we didn't was with Spoon and Majerus. That turned out pretty good and think both had some SLU Office of the President support, would have been better.

Bryce reminds me of Chris Mooney, nice guy, had some good years at AFA and one sweet 16, since then he is the most over-rated mediocre coach in the A10. With Bryce, our future will be just NITs and CBIs, I don't think he can compete in the A10.

Huh? Spoonhour was in his 50s, coming out of the Mid-Continental Conference (wasn't that what it was called?), and had won exactly one NCAA game before he was hired at SLU. How was Spoonhour somehow less of a "settle" than Drew would be now?

The Bonnies had a pitiful schedule, noncon. They were in the bottom 1/4 of D1 teams in that regard.

Playing the non-con Valpo did, and winning the A10 would have put them as a 5 or 6 seed at worst.

If Bryce is worried about leaving Valpo in the best possible shape for the next coach this is the time for him to go. It would give the next coach the best chance to succeed on the court and then hit the recruiting trail.

"Yeah that worked out, regards, Rick Majerus"

-Bobby Metzinger, probably

He also tweeted that it was a "gut feeling" so he doesn't necessarily know. I like The Wiz's rumors better

He also tweeted that it was a "gut feeling" so he doesn't necessarily know. I like The Wiz's rumors better

I agree. I didnt realize Drew turned down Iowa State last year. The reported said his gut feeling last year was that he was going to Iowa State but ended up staying. Lets hope his gut feeling is wrong again.

I have no inside information specifically saying Drew to SLU. Just trying to connect the dots. I just hope that we have some better backup plans that what has been reported. We need a coach who can produce wins and a coach who can sell tickets. Next year will be a hard year regardless IMO, but if you have an unexciting coach and an unexciting team, it could lead to some trouble for the AD.

I agree. I didnt realize Drew turned down Iowa State last year. The reported said his gut feeling last year was that he was going to Iowa State but ended up staying. Lets hope his gut feeling is wrong again.

He, also, said Drew was more of a bigger city guy. Ames isn't exactly a big city. I bet Ames didn't appeal to his wife, either.

Per Hoopdirt.com (Nothing really new)

• On Monday, I mentioned FGCU head coach Joe Dooley and Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings and their involvement at St. Louis (Daily Dirt – 3/21/16). The “hot” name here now is Valparaiso head coach Bryce Drew. His team had a big win last night in the NIT, and he’s now one win away from 30 on the season. The former Valpo star and NBA player is currently 123-48 in his 5-years as the head coach of his alma mater. More on this one as I hear it.
  • Speaking of St. Louis…former Alabama head coach and current Oklahoma City Thunder assistant Anthony Grant’s name has also come up here. BUT, his name has been even stronger at Tulane. In addition to his six seasons at Alabama (118-86), Grant spent three seasons as the head coach at VCU (76-25). It depends who you talk to, but is sounds like Tulane and their search firm Eastman and Beaudine, have a top 2 or 3, and Grant could be in that group. Other names mentioned here: Purdue assistant Greg Gary (a Tulane alum) and Yale head coach James Jones. Apparently CBS Sports’ Doug Gottlieb has expressed some interest as well.

Now the Naples paper has an article

www.naplesnews.com

I have no idea if the guy can coach, but I'm always skeptical when a guy is labeled a "great recruiter" while working as an assistant at places like Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, UCLA... those places are easy to recruit to. For SLU, I'm more impressed with a guy who is able to find hidden gems.

Per Hoopdirt.com (Nothing really new)

• On Monday, I mentioned FGCU head coach Joe Dooley and Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings and their involvement at St. Louis (Daily Dirt – 3/21/16). The “hot” name here now is Valparaiso head coach Bryce Drew. His team had a big win last night in the NIT, and he’s now one win away from 30 on the season. The former Valpo star and NBA player is currently 123-48 in his 5-years as the head coach of his alma mater. More on this one as I hear it.
  • Speaking of St. Louis…former Alabama head coach and current Oklahoma City Thunder assistant Anthony Grant’s name has also come up here. BUT, his name has been even stronger at Tulane. In addition to his six seasons at Alabama (118-86), Grant spent three seasons as the head coach at VCU (76-25). It depends who you talk to, but is sounds like Tulane and their search firm Eastman and Beaudine, have a top 2 or 3, and Grant could be in that group. Other names mentioned here: Purdue assistant Greg Gary (a Tulane alum) and Yale head coach James Jones. Apparently CBS Sports’ Doug Gottlieb has expressed some interest as well.

Sounds like these guys have the market cornered.

Anyone want to partner with me to start up a search firm?

I have no idea if the guy can coach, but I'm always skeptical when a guy is labeled a "great recruiter" while working as an assistant at places like Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, UCLA... those places are easy to recruit to. For SLU, I'm more impressed with a guy who is able to find hidden gems.

Agreed. Hell, Anyone could recruit to those programs. It's like giving someone the choice between driving a Ferrari or the family truckster for his big date.

Deal. I'll set up a couple of desks in my basement.

Just make sure it doesn't get in the way of your beer pong table.