United States of College Basketball

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly it is time to drop all the Crews bashing. While i disagree with last year being his only measurable class of players, I think we need to just let them get in the gym and throw the ball up. The proof will be in the pudding. We have Neufeld, Hines and Bishop replacing Manning, Glaze, Lancona and McBroom. Some of us will be right; some will be wrong.

God I wish the season would start, so we actually have something to talk about besides the pissing contests of who can be more astute/negative.....

No surprise there just look at the presidential candidates and what they are doing. This is played on a National Scene and for much higher stakes than choosing a coach.

I feel like it will be worse once the season starts. Nothing worse than a bunch of "I told you so" comments. Especially after one game.

I'm kinda looking forward to this, to be honest. I just think it will be interesting - the 'I told you so,' the revisionist history, etc. - to see reactions as the season goes on.

To be fair, the board didn't really ever go into meltdown mode when Tatum committed to Duke, and that was all we'd been talking about for a long time leading up to it. So maybe the fact that we're prepared for anything will make the board more even-handed than it's been during other phases.

Good point, Pistol, since not many on here ever had high expectations for landing Tatum. Same thing applies to this squad as expectations are generally rather low. I think those who've expressed pessimism and those who've expressed optimism are well known. Really no reason for gloating either way.

Good point, Pistol, since not many on here ever had high expectations for landing Tatum. Same thing applies to this squad as expectations are generally rather low. I think those who've expressed pessimism and those who've expressed optimism are well known. Really no reason for gloating either way.

This is true. Trust me, as one of those who has a negative outlook for this season, I don't want to be right. There would be no pleasure in seeing another season like the last one just because I thought it would be that way and some other people didn't.

Honest question for all the negative posters out there. If this team wins 17-18 games next year will you have praise for the coach and believe we are on the right path or will there be something else to complain about?

I've seen a lot of posts asking the positive posters what number of wins will cause them to turn on Crews, so I think its fair to ask what number of wins will change their minds.

Honest question for all the negative posters out there. If this team wins 17-18 games next year will you have praise for the coach and believe we are on the right path or will there be something else to complain about?

I've seen a lot of posts asking the positive posters what number of wins will cause them to turn on Crews, so I think its fair to ask what number of wins will change their minds.

I don't think it matters with all these negative posters. They all just want something to complain about. Crews is not going anywhere, just let the man work and support your team people.

Most knowledgeable posters here did not really expect us to land Tatum, thus no real meltdown. Tatum is not an issue.

The issue is whether or not the team improves after our super-young teams disappointing season last year.

Are the 6 sophs Crews recruited talented? The new freshmen? Can the three upperclassmen step up with Crew's development and leadership? Can Crews coach them back to respectability, say, 18 victories?

It is premature, immature, and unfair to decide and declare now that our new talent is sub par and everything is Crews fault and clutter this board repeatedly on this matter.

I'm assuming you mean "this year" and not "next year," correct? Because 17-18 wins this year would be progress, sure. I wouldn't have expected an above .500 record. It feels like this particular team's ceiling and I'd still have serious doubts about the long-term Tournament return prospects of the team under Crews, but it would be clear progress from last year and I'd be pleased.

I'm assuming you mean "this year" and not "next year," correct? Because 17-18 wins this year would be progress, sure. I wouldn't have expected an above .500 record. It feels like this particular team's ceiling and I'd still have serious doubts about the long-term Tournament return prospects of the team under Crews, but it would be clear progress from last year and I'd be pleased.

Yes. I mean this year.

I think it depends more on how the team progresses as the season goes along more than the win total. The biggest problem last season wasn't the win total. It was the fact that the team got worse as the season progressed.

If this team is .500 or over I will be impressed. Crews would have done a good or great coaching job to achieve that goal. So then recruiting would be my main concern with him. That said my win prediction will be south of 10.

If this team is .500 or over I will be impressed. Crews would have done a good or great coaching job to achieve that goal. So then recruiting would be my main concern with him. That said my win prediction will be south of 10.

If we win 18 games I will be chugging kool-aid and basically picket for a bronze statue of Crews outside Chaifetz. That would be 18 wins with the core group as sophomores and we should be preseason top 2 in the A-10 for the next 2 year.

That aint happening though...

I'm kinda looking forward to this, to be honest. I just think it will be interesting - the 'I told you so,' the revisionist history, etc. - to see reactions as the season goes on.

To be fair, the board didn't really ever go into meltdown mode when Tatum committed to Duke, and that was all we'd been talking about for a long time leading up to it. So maybe the fact that we're prepared for anything will make the board more even-handed than it's been during other phases.

Fine. Then I will post the following now so as not to later be accused of revisionist history.

First, Jim Crews was not my choice of coaches and I do believe that some (but not all) of the "positive" posters feel the same way.

Second, Jim Crews, good or bad, is our head coach and therefore some deference and some rallying around our guys is warranted - especially when Crews is signed to a long term contract and SLU has never shown the resources to buy out contracts like other schools and their boosters have done. And yes, we are grateful for Novelly and Chaifetz but these guys are small compared to Phil Knigh, T. Boone Pickens, etc. Good or bad, Jim Crews took over for a dying RM, kept the pieces together and was at the helm for 2 of the best years of Billiken Basketball I can recall since I began following the team in 1980.

Third, the momentum started by RM was definitely lost and mistakes by Jim Crews were certainly made causing our program to fall more than expected but the constant negativity has turned some of us who never favored Jim Crews into Jim Crews apologists when all we advocated for is a fairness and for him to be given a chance to succeed or fail with his own guys.

Fourth, there is a difference between quietly supporting and backing your alma mater's head coach while optimistically hoping for better things even when the signs don't exactly all point in that direction as opposed to marching out front claiming that Jim Crews is the next RM while self-proclaimed experts attack Crews at every moment while salivating at the chance to gloat and later tell us how right they were.

Fine. Then I will post the following now so as not to later be accused of revisionist history.

First, Jim Crews was not my choice of coaches and I do believe that some (but not all) of the "positive" posters feel the same way.

Second, Jim Crews, good or bad, is our head coach and therefore some deference and some rallying around our guys is warranted - especially when Crews is signed to a long term contract and SLU has never shown the resources to buy out contracts like other schools and their boosters have done. And yes, we are grateful for Novelly and Chaifetz but these guys are small compared to Phil Knigh, T. Boone Pickens, etc. Good or bad, Jim Crews took over for a dying RM, kept the pieces together and was at the helm for 2 of the best years of Billiken Basketball I can recall since I began following the team in 1980.

Third, the momentum started by RM was definitely lost and mistakes by Jim Crews were certainly made causing our program to fall more than expected but the constant negativity has turned some of us who never favored Jim Crews into Jim Crews apologists when all we advocated for is a fairness and for him to be given a chance to succeed or fail with his own guys.

Fourth, there is a difference between quietly supporting and backing your alma mater's head coach while optimistically hoping for better things even when the signs don't exactly all point in that direction as opposed to marching out front claiming that Jim Crews is the next RM while self-proclaimed experts attack Crews at every moment while salivating at the chance to gloat and later tell us how right they were.

good post, clock

You clearly didn't read the rest of the thread.

Who is a self-proclaimed "expert" here? I'm not aware of one. Keep shouting at your straw man, though.