JC Hot Seat

Once again, 15, 18 wins is not the question - it is does this team improve. If they can compete in every game, then the wins will come. Last year they could not compete consistently that is why they only won 12 games. I would like to see them compete against all the teams they play - no blow outs. Blow outs show that progress is not being made. I am not sure how many years Crews has left - it seems to me that last year was his first of his 5 years but I could be convinced differently. I said it before and I will say it again - May took the easy way and when you take the easy way and it does not work out you find yourself in a bigger mess than if you had taken a more difficult route. I hope for the program's sake that Crews is successful - that is all I care about, the long term success of the program. I am still curious to learn how season tix sales are going - I have a feeling that we are going to be entering Sodie territory.

There will be a blow out and they will improve. Getting blown out in a game does not mean there hasn't been improvement overall.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, 15, 18 wins is not the question - it is does this team improve. If they can compete in every game, then the wins will come. Last year they could not compete consistently that is why they only won 12 games. I would like to see them compete against all the teams they play - no blow outs. Blow outs show that progress is not being made. I am not sure how many years Crews has left - it seems to me that last year was his first of his 5 years but I could be convinced differently. I said it before and I will say it again - May took the easy way and when you take the easy way and it does not work out you find yourself in a bigger mess than if you had taken a more difficult route. I hope for the program's sake that Crews is successful - that is all I care about, the long term success of the program. I am still curious to learn how season tix sales are going - I have a feeling that we are going to be entering Sodie territory.

Blowouts happen. Dayton, VCU and Davidson were all victims of blowouts last year and they were the best teams in the conference.

It would be really hard for this team to not improve if the bar is last year. Last year was the worst year in decades.

Are we using that as the bar or are we using an actual measure of success or progress?

Accepting this premise, a 3-year deal would at least be an excuse for the level of recruiting we've seen since he took over.

Yes, missed on Tatum but so did Kentucky, Kansas, etc.

Is it necessarily the talent level or the coaching/teamwork that led to disaster last season?

This board was flooded with recruiting praise and Pitbull during the run of recruits that are on the team now.

Yes, missed on Tatum but so did Kentucky, Kansas, etc.

Is it necessarily the talent level or the coaching/teamwork that led to disaster last season?

This board was flooded with recruiting praise and Pitbull during the run of recruits that are on the team now.

SLU missed on a lot of their top targets other than Tatum over the last 4 years

Again Cheeseman? Placing the bar at an impossibly high level, just about guaranteed not to be met, and then back pedalling using semantics, in case a plural. It has to by my way or the highway for Crews is it not? The truth is that the bar was set so LOW last season that it will be close to impossible not to have improvement this year.

First of all the bar is low for this year given how poor last year was. Second, we had many blow outs last year - more than we should have had. For those of you who are having trouble understanding my point even though you do know what I mean even if you can not admit it. If we have the same type and numbers of blow outs then we will not be making progress. If we compete in as many games as possible then we will get wins and that will also mean we are not getting blown out of games but if we are not competing then we will not and the losses will build - my definition of competing is avoiding blow outs as much as possible. Now if anybody was dense enough to think that I was saying that if we had a blow out against us then the season would be a failure then I don't know how to respond to such a silly comment. If saying we should limit our blow out losses is setting the bar so high then this team is in a terrible position.

You said no blowouts and I assumed that's what you meant

Well if you want to be literal then OK - but normally people read for the overall context and are able to understand what is being said. For example if someone says I want the defense to give up no more than 60 points a game - do you really think that if the team gives up 70 points one game but the avg for the year is still at 60 then that person point should be ridiculed rather then understood for the overall point. But if this is not true then my bad - ok

Well if you want to be literal then OK - but normally people read for the overall context and are able to understand what is being said. For example if someone says I want the defense to give up no more than 60 points a game - do you really think that if the team gives up 70 points one game but the avg for the year is still at 60 then that person point should be ridiculed rather then understood for the overall point. But if this is not true then my bad - ok

You should re read your post as it really appears you are saying they shouldn't have any blowouts or there wouldn't be improvement. Now that you've explained though I agree

The important thing in my mind is to give the team and the coach the support they deserve at least until they demonstrate they are not worthy of our support. This is not the eternal children's game of drawing lines in the sand accompanied by stern warnings of pulling a tantrum. If it becomes necessary to do anything like this then it may have to be done but only when it has to be done. This does not mean proclaiming threats and limits to the four winds now, BEFORE the playing season is done. Again, this is infantile behavior and as infantile as it is there are many that think their most weighty opinion and limits have real meaning. Whatever happens to the team and to Crews after this season, whatever the performance turns out to be, is in the hands of people who are not members of this board, and will be decided upon factors that will remain unknown to us.

I haven't browsed for a while, but the pessimism on this board is crazy. We have a nice core to build from in Bartley, Milik, and Roby. These are all very good players for this level. We also have a few big men with the size and tools to develop into very good players. I like our core and am excited about the next several seasons.

I disagree with those who thought that last season was the worst in decades. We were turning over the bulk of our roster. We had one of the youngest teams in the nation. Crews did the right thing by giving the kids on-the-court experience in conference play rather than chasing meaningless wins. It was the right long-term approach. We have had many terrible teams in the last 25 years, but this was not a terrible team talent-wise; rather, this was a terribly young team. Just be happy that we weren't starting Dwayne Polk, Sekue, Ross Varner, Eric Jones, or Drew Deiner.

I haven't browsed for a while, but the pessimism on this board is crazy. We have a nice core to build from in Bartley, Milik, and Roby. These are all very good players for this level. We also have a few big men with the size and tools to develop into very good players. I like our core and am excited about the next several seasons.

I disagree with those who thought that last season was the worst in decades. We were turning over the bulk of our roster. We had one of the youngest teams in the nation. Crews did the right thing by giving the kids on-the-court experience in conference play rather than chasing meaningless wins. It was the right long-term approach. We have had many terrible teams in the last 25 years, but this was not a terrible team talent-wise; rather, this was a terribly young team. Just be happy that we weren't starting Dwayne Polk, Sekue, Ross Varner, Eric Jones, or Drew Deiner.

Agreed but also agree we need high standards as a program and 18 wins is a reasonable expectation....which I see as an endorsement of the level of talent on this roster...if we fall below that goal, then teamwork/player development are problematic, which is a head coach's responsibility.

At Army and Evansville it went beyond that with dysfunctional AD's and low budgets. That's clearly is not the case here.

They were terrible and terribly young. I'm not sure anyone is complaining too much about the playing time, but more so the odd coaching decisions.

I think you and I went to SLU close to the same time. Last year's team was the worst SLU team I can recall. But, I also see a good amount of talent. The two are not mutually exclusive.