GDT: They'll never Catamount to anything

bonwich

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither did you. They both played before freshmen were eligible for the varsity squad.

Bonwhich, I recalled Wiley, Stafford, Martinez, Sam(?), Jimmy Irving from that photo. Rogers, Paradowski, The Ghost were FR that year. Not eligible. Tarheel can probably fill in the rest of the names. I couldn't recall any of the bigs names. Unless one of them was named West? God, the minds a terrible thing to waste, but I was just a FR myself and probably drunk when I was at the empty Auditorium. Thank heavens we moved back to the Kiel my SR year. Way more friendly than sitting in that big empty barn.

Neither did you. They both played before freshmen were eligible for the varsity squad.

I know freshmen were not eligible then. I saw them play all through high school and I know they were just as talented as freshmen as Yabrough is. However, based on that, I understand the comment.

I know freshmen were not eligible then. I saw them play all through high school and I know they were just as talented as freshmen as Yabrough is. However, based on that, I understand the comment.

Still Yarbrough might be the most talented freshman in the last 30 or so years with Hughes being the exception. Sky is the limit with this kid

Love this quote from Yarbrough. Kid has swag.

"I couldn't believe it," said Yarbrough, a 6-6, 230-pound forward out of a north Chicago suburb. "I don't usually miss layups like that. I'm a great finisher. That was just a setback and I came back the next half, I told myself my team needs me to make those. My team needs me to get points. I locked myself in and kept on going."

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/story/slu-s-yarbrough-emerging-as-one-to-watch-among-freshmen-class-122114

Edit: The kid doesn't lack confidence. He has an even better quote at the end.

Bonwhich, I recalled Wiley, Stafford, Martinez, Sam(?), Jimmy Irving from that photo. Rogers, Paradowski, The Ghost were FR that year. Not eligible. Tarheel can probably fill in the rest of the names. I couldn't recall any of the bigs names. Unless one of them was named West? God, the minds a terrible thing to waste, but I was just a FR myself and probably drunk when I was at the empty Auditorium. Thank heavens we moved back to the Kiel my SR year. Way more friendly than sitting in that big empty barn.

Larry the 2 centers for that 70-1 (my freshmen yr at SLU) squad was Mike Lockette and Jim Bryan. Bryan was pretty good, had decent soph & jr years, but he had issues and I believe was cut from the team. Lockette, a juco transfer, filled in and did a nice job. Paradowski also played some center. Later in the 72-3, 73-4 & 74-5 seasons we had Robin Jones. Robin became Bill Walton back-up on the Trail Blazers.

Heel, why do I remember a big named West. Did I get Stallworth, Martinez, Irving, and Sam(?) right? In addition to the great Joe W. I paused on that team pic they put up to see if I could name them. That was the 69-70 squad. Only 10 players and very few others. Not like today, eh?

Heel, why do I remember a big named West. Did I get Stallworth, Martinez, Irving, and Sam(?) right? In addition to the great Joe W. I paused on that team pic they put up to see if I could name them. That was the 69-70 squad. Only 10 players and very few others. Not like today, eh?

Gary lampe?

Tommie Liddell and Kevin Lisch were both good freshmen. Seemed like they traded being conference freshman of the week most of the season. Monroe Douglas also had a good freshmen year. Unfortunately, it was as good as he got. Yarborough does look good, but we have had a number of good freshmen over the years.

Tommie Liddell and Kevin Lisch were both good freshmen. Seemed like they traded being conference freshman of the week most of the season. Monroe Douglas also had a good freshmen year. Unfortunately, it was as good as he got. Yarborough does look good, but we have had a number of good freshmen over the years.

They were. But UBrad kind of blew it after those two. Don't know why, but s**t happens. Wished both KL and TL had made it to the NCAA's while they were here, just didn't happen. Shame.

Has a Billiken ever had a triple-double?

It surprised me a little to hear no Billiken had ever done it last year when Jett got close a couple times. But there have only been a handful of guys who have ever even gotten a double-double with anything outside of points and rebounds.

Love this quote from Yarbrough. Kid has swag.

"I couldn't believe it," said Yarbrough, a 6-6, 230-pound forward out of a north Chicago suburb. "I don't usually miss layups like that. I'm a great finisher. That was just a setback and I came back the next half, I told myself my team needs me to make those. My team needs me to get points. I locked myself in and kept on going."

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/story/slu-s-yarbrough-emerging-as-one-to-watch-among-freshmen-class-122114

Edit: The kid doesn't lack confidence. He has an even better quote at the end.

Yarborough is going to be an absolute stud for us. He has all the tools Dwayne had and more. Look for him to get into fantastic shape for next season, and he might even get that triple double at some point.

By the way, where are all the posters who were saying that the program is trending down?

Today's Gus scorecard: called a McBroom 3 that didn't go in; didnt know who Rich Nieman is.

I'm late to the party here but the Rich Niemann thing floored me. "We want to honor long time season ticket holders Richard and Julie Neimann for their support of Billiken basketball." I know he's reading from a script but gee whiz.

Rich is on the 100 year ballot and rightly so.

You are thinking of Sam Williams. Had limited minutes as a guard during that 70-71 season. I don't know if you remember Mark Frailey, a guard from So Illinois. Had a heart condition and many of times when he came in for a blow had to up-chuck. He certainly could bomb from the outside. Too bad he did not have a 3 pt line.

Those 70-1, 71-2 & 72-3 were loaded. I think they would done really well with today's game. Much more parity. Back then you had a few super teams and the remainder so-so. Before the season you knew UCLA was going to win it all. Similar to women's basketball today.

Larry the 2 centers for that 70-1 (my freshmen yr at SLU) squad was Mike Lockette and Jim Bryan. Bryan was pretty good, had decent soph & jr years, but he had issues and I believe was cut from the team. Lockette, a juco transfer, filled in and did a nice job. Paradowski also played some center. Later in the 72-3, 73-4 & 74-5 seasons we had Robin Jones. Robin became Bill Walton back-up on the Trail Blazers.

Lockette's daughter was honored as one of the scholar-athletes this year (for the fourth year in a row, I think). And he sits roughly behind Rammer, about 10 rows up, for most games.

I'm late to the party here but the Rich Niemann thing floored me. "We want to honor long time season ticket holders Richard and Julie Neimann for their support of Billiken basketball." I know he's reading from a script but gee whiz.

Rich is on the 100 year ballot and rightly so.

I loved the "MILIIIIIIIIIIK...ASH YACOUBOU." I have a feeling that will not be the last time that happens. It was also probably the only time in the game when he pronounced Yacoubou correctly.