OT: Live look-in at campus protesters

DoctorB

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say one thing is for sure: if any of these protests somehow turn violent, and students get hurt, Pestello will take the fall for allowing them to be on campus. He's taking a big risk. Personally, I don't think its worth it. It only takes one idiot on either side to set things off.

I honestly don't care enough either way to contribute to this thread, but you hit my thoughts exactly.

I am just ready for all of this to be done.

OK, I have to express this:

up here in Olean we have many different races and nationalities, and we all get along. Its very pleasant out here in the country. ( yes, some are sub-human with no teeth )

Now then, in all of the major cities throughout US you have inter city people being murdered by their own kind. MOSTLY GANG MEMEBERS or want-to-be members.

Why aren't they protesting that? Where is Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson, why aren't they going into the inter cities to protest those types of killings?

May the Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with all of us.

"Inter city"? You seriously don't know that it's "inner city"? I won't even give a punchline; it's a joke that writes itself! But, "Amen," on your last sentence.

No. This sort of thing happens in campus life is bullsh*t. This is different. Much different.

Protests about wars and the ecology and the economy with hippies and liberals whining about things are one thing. No problem.

THIS is different from most all campus protests. These are not student protestors.

These are outsiders.

Potential violence galore. Look at the caliber and history of the two people they are blindly, aggressively, violently supporting, forcing upon us with an agenda.

It is a fact that many people who have supported Office Wilson's right to due process under the law have received anonymous threats of violence. And the coalition has committed violence all over St. Louis, not just Ferguson.

Innocent people threatened with physical violence.

That is different, fellow Billikens.

Try to understand that the mentality displayed by the disgraceful woman in the YouTube on this thread; it is consistent with the mindset of the majority of the protestors, real violence has occurred in many locations, and threats on individuals who want to wait for the facts and the evidence and forensics have definitely been made.

Sure, SLU is ok so far... but ugliness could happen on some warm night.

Letting these people on campus already is not going to set well with future students and parents of future students.

If violence breaks out at SLU, it will be a disaster. Get them off quietly while their numbers are low.

You make some outstanding points, but you are also off base on some things. Do you really think that most of the protesters advocate violence? I think you are overestimating that by far. Frankly, I don't care for this "movement" much, but I don't think it's most people. Remember the adage, "The moral majority is neither moral nor a majority."

And I hope/assume SLU has a plan in place for when the decision from the Grand Jury comes out. Either way, it could get a little out of hand on campus. If you look through twitter or youtube accounts of some of the lead non student protesters, you'll see that they have made a lot of threats if Darren Wilson is not indicted. I'll leave it to others to check the validity of that, but it's not something I'd risk if I were in charge. If anyone were to get hurt in any way, it would be a disaster.

To quote Game of Thrones: "Winter is coming" - just wait for it to get colder and this thing will lose steam quick.

I heard yesterday that they may delay the Grand Jury's decision until as late as January. My cynical take is that if the ruling comes out not to indict Wilson, they'll decide to do it on the coldest possible day in order to minimize the blow back. By the time it warms up, hopefully the anger will have subsided.

http://www.slu.edu/mission-statement

• Fosters programs that link University resources to local, national and international communities in collaborative efforts to alleviate ignorance, poverty, injustice and hunger; extend compassionate care to the ill and needy; and maintain and improve the quality of life for all persons.

I think the protests fit SLU's mission statement, and a violent crackdown by riot police would not fit SLU's mission statement.

"With Chicago's violence making national headlines, a group led by Reverend Al Sharpton plans to convene an anti-violence summit of national civil rights leaders in Chicago."

http://abc7chicago.com/news/stop-the-violence-chicago-leaders-call-for-action/173732/

Well, THAT should fix the problem! Righttttttt !!!

Thanks you "Rev." After you solve all the gun violence issues in BHO's home town, pls return to STL to once again help us.

We really need you, "Rev."

Thanks you "Rev." After you solve all the gun violence issues in BHO's home town, pls return to STL to once again help us.

Just curious. What did you think of MLK back in the day? Hero? Agitator? Turn on the firehose?

Just curious. What did you think of MLK back in the day? Hero? Agitator? Turn on the firehose?

To paraphrase a famous leader, "Rev," I knew MLK and you are no MLK!

Also, my memory might be failing me, but where were all these "protesters" and the most "Rev," back a couple of years ago when a SLU-related killing actually did occur. I refer to the incident when our recently graduated volleyball player was shot and killed in cold blood for her cellphone! I just can't remember. Were they all here leading protests on our campus? I might be wrong, but I don't think so.

Again, black on white crime (murder) just doesn't meet the new test for requiring "justice" to prevail.

Also, my memory might be failing me, but where were all these "protesters" and the most "Rev," back a couple of years ago when a SLU-related killing actually did occur. I refer to the incident when our recently graduated volleyball player was shot and killed in cold blood for her cellphone! I just can't remember. Were they all here leading protests on our campus? I might be wrong, but I don't think so.

Again, black on white crime (murder) just doesn't meet the new test for requiring "justice" to prevail.

I'm certainly not suggesting that at all about Sharpton (there was a reason Fox used to always put him on the air), but just curious what you thought of MLK back then? It was before my time. I could be wrong, but you seem a bit older. MLK was not popular among mainstream white America when he was alive. If you were around, did you view him as "an agitator"? I suspect several people in this thread would have... and they would have been on the wrong side of history. Not sure how many people who felt that way back then would admit to it now.

Was the volleyball player targeted because she was white or for economic reasons (cellphone)? A horrific crime, but I suspect that punk would have also murdered a black person if he saw a robbery opportunity. You're viewing that as black on white. I think there is a distinction between crimes that are racially motivated and those that are economically motivated (robbery). Calls for "justice" (not saying they are all justified) usually center on racial profiling of some sort... somebody being targeted based on race.

Yes, a blonde SLU volleyball player was in the CWE at lunchtime, headed for her first alumni volleyball game, which was to be held at about 4pm. She didn't make it.

She was attacked in her car, she resisted when a thug tried to take her purse, and was shot in her car. Two thugs were involved, later caught.

She was one of OURS, a SLU athlete to boot. A tragedy.

Never heard much about that... or dozens and dozens of other such incidents. Why? Because the media focuses on PC, the rare white on black crimes, ACE.

WU would throw them off in 10 minutes.

Jewish people don't have time for nonsense, especially when it comes down to a zoning dispute.

And there used to be a time when the Catholics would just kill whoever got out of line.

I'll tell you what, though, I could certainly go for some public humiliation/torture these days. People who upset civility in an uncivil manner, whatever their race, need to be held accountable.

That wasn't the point. Brownindian expressed dismay (a common statement on the right) that Sharpton and other black leaders never express concern over black-on-black crime, so I provided a very recent example of where he did just that.

Yes, a blonde SLU volleyball player was in the CWE at lunchtime, headed for her first alumni volleyball game, which was to be held at about 4pm. She didn't make it.

She was attacked in her car, she resisted when a thug tried to take her purse, and was shot in her car. Two thugs were involved, later caught.

She was one of OURS, a SLU athlete to boot. A tragedy.

Never heard much about that... or dozens and dozens of other such incidents. Why? Because the media focuses on PC, the rare white on black crimes, ACE.

Megan's killer was arrested, tried, convicted, and sentenced to life in prison. While it'll never bring back Megan, justice was served and 99% of people will agree on that.

Zimmerman and Wilson shot unarmed black teenagers and are still free men. 50% of people believe they should be in jail. That's why the media focuses on it. Race plays a role, but the perceived lack of justice players a bigger role.

http://www.slu.edu/mission-statement

• Fosters programs that link University resources to local, national and international communities in collaborative efforts to alleviate ignorance, poverty, injustice and hunger; extend compassionate care to the ill and needy; and maintain and improve the quality of life for all persons.

I think the protests fit SLU's mission statement, and a violent crackdown by riot police would not fit SLU's mission statement.

So what you're saying is that Jesus would turn the firehose on them.

Sorry but "unarmed" is being thrown around to imply there is no way an unarmed person can be threatening or cause physical violence to someone.. Plenty of ways to be violent without a gun or knife, even to a cop. Fists can do plenty of damage. Ask a rape victim about "unarmed" attackers.. I don't think they say, "Well at least he wasn't armed when he attacked me." Brown may have been unarmed but he certainly had the capacity to be violent physically, which witnesses say he was prior to the shooting. Not making a call on the Wilson/Brown thing and if the shooting was over the line or in line with self-defense. Could be a massive amount of grey area at play which could benefit one side or the other. Grand jury has to figure that out but this "unarmed" argument is used too loosely.

Regarding SLU, if they can keep it civil, non-threatening, and safe, I am ok with "protesters" and the discussions on campus. The "stress" complaint is a bit of a stretch for me though.

Sorry but "unarmed" is being thrown around to imply there is no way an unarmed person can be threatening or cause physical violence to someone.. Plenty of ways to be violent without a gun or knife, even to a cop. Fists can do plenty of damage. Ask a rape victim about "unarmed" attackers.. I don't think they say, "Well at least he wasn't armed when he attacked me." Brown may have been unarmed but he certainly had the capacity to be violent physically, which witnesses say he was prior to the shooting. Not making a call on the Wilson/Brown thing and if the shooting was over the line or in line with self-defense. Could be a massive amount of grey area at play which could benefit one side or the other. Grand jury has to figure that out but this "unarmed" argument is used too loosely.

Regarding SLU, if they can keep it civil, non-threatening, and safe, I am ok with "protesters" and the discussions on campus. The "stress" complaint is a bit of a stretch for me though.

I wasn't making a statement about whether or not the shootings were justified. I just wanted to explain to MB why these types of stories are reported in the national media and others such as the Boken story are not. People such as MB consistently try to point out black-on-white crime that wasn't heavily covered by the national media as proof of the media's bias, but they're not comparable.

As you said, there is a considerable amount of grey area involved, which is what makes it such a hot-button topic.

I've heard from more than one student that once mid-terms are over, there will be a visible student response to the protestors - possibly including mob resistance to those at the clock tower, making it clear that they are taking 'their' campus back. If university administration won't take care of the problem, they will. I know there is a petition underway, indicating to Pestello that the students, although understanding of the position of the demonstrators and supportive of the groups 'weekend' event last week to facilitate open dialogue, no one should be allowed to spend the night/camp out on the grounds of the university - especially those with no credentials to be on campus. SLU will not be getting the kind of press we all want, and it will be squarely on Pestello's shoulders should things turn ugly.

And I know slu students that have joined the protests. I think the SLU student response will be similar to the general public response. Some pro, Some anti.

I personally think things like this line up directly with Jesuit philosophy in my experience so I'd be more concerned if they didn't allow this