Bills by 3 over VCU

The Wiz

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I worry about Jordair's turnovers and McBrooms size. Otherwise I agree.

I think too much is made of JJ's turnovers. It's the kind of reckless abandon he plays with that makes him the player he is. If you temper that and want to make him a little more under control you also lose some of the great plays he makes. Yes, sometimes he tries to force the ball, however, many times it's a great play. You don't know which is which until the attempt is made. If you could look back after the game and just take away the mistakes it'd be great, just doesn't work that way

Winning at the Pete shows Cuse is better than equal to Pitt. Pitt is one of the hardest places for top teams to win. Huge home court advantage for Pitt. Huge win for Cuse. It might be the best resume win for any team in the country.

Agree and Syracuse was missing key center, a stalwart intimidator on "D".. Vegas has Cuse tied for 9th, Pitt tied for 20th.

I think too much is made of JJ's turnovers. It's the kind of reckless abandon he plays with that makes him the player he is. If you temper that and want to make him a little more under control you also lose some of the great plays he makes. Yes, sometimes he tries to force the ball, however, many times it's a great play. You don't know which is which until the attempt is made. If you could look back after the game and just take away the mistakes it'd be great, just doesn't work that way

EXACTLY. His assists and scoring makes up for any turnovers much like Briante Weber in that regard. Very different players yet similar criticism of both.

Bullet passes into double coverage in the post seems to be most of them, yes.....

he's not the only one that does that. always seems to be driving the lane our guy sandwiched between 2 bigs. Drives me nuts. even if throwing on a bounce toward 6 hands only 2 belonging to us works, making shot still an issue with a giant on either side. It happens so often that I assume momentum makes them carry through and against all odds passing it.

I know we went around here recently about how running the clock stunted us when we allowed big lead to be halved but I am almost always for pulling back on the stolen pass fast break. When it's one on one or a breakaway than hell yes take it to the hoop, but when it's a mad rush of everyone barreling toward the hoop it seems to me we'd be better served to pull back and work on a good shot. besides not getting TO it also takes time off the clock.

VCU's system is about as brilliant as a gotdamn toilet.

I'm assuming you're schtick is to be the crazy guy on the forum, but to address this one sentence in particular...

The brilliance of VCU's system is that it creates a massive number of extra possessions, extra possessions that when taken advantage of should equal quality wins. For example: in last season's A-10 title game VCU had 16 more field goal attempts than SLU....16!!!! That's the major advantage the system creates. Problem is when you shoot 33.8% from the field it erases that advantage. But think about that, VCU shot 11% worse than SLU in last season's title game but lost by just 6 points.

I'm not saying this as a VCU homer, I'm saying it as someone who stares at the numbers constantly (I run VCURamNation.com, so write game previews constantly, my head is basically up Kenpoms ass from November to March) and understands the beauty of what Shaka does. I'm saying that as a fan of the game of basketball. And that's not to say that it's the best system there is, it certainly has it's weaknesses (gives up some easy baskets), but teams CONSTANTLY say it's a gimmick yet VCU has been the top team in the country at turning teams over for the past three seasons (and the season before that they went to the Final 4). The line is, "well once people figure it out", yet, like I said, year three of being No.1 in the country at forcing turnovers. Clearly something is working. Are there going to be nights where the Rams don't turn the other team over? Of course. But that's not because the system is a gimmick, it's because these systems both our schools run are run by 18-22 year olds that aren't machines and where you can just press a button and they will perform perfectly every single night.

I'm assuming you're schtick is to be the crazy guy on the forum, but to address this one sentence in particular...

The brilliance of VCU's system is that it creates a massive number of extra possessions, extra possessions that when taken advantage of should equal quality wins. For example: in last season's A-10 title game VCU had 16 more field goal attempts than SLU....16!!!! That's the major advantage the system creates. Problem is when you shoot 33.8% from the field it erases that advantage. But think about that, VCU shot 11% worse than SLU in last season's title game but lost by just 6 points.

I'm not saying this as a VCU homer, I'm saying it as someone who stares at the numbers constantly (I run VCURamNation.com, so write game previews constantly, my head is basically up Kenpoms ass from November to March) and understands the beauty of what Shaka does. I'm saying that as a fan of the game of basketball. And that's not to say that it's the best system there is, it certainly has it's weaknesses (gives up some easy baskets), but teams CONSTANTLY say it's a gimmick yet VCU has been the top team in the country at turning teams over for the past three seasons (and the season before that they went to the Final 4). The line is, "well once people figure it out", yet, like I said, year three of being No.1 in the country at forcing turnovers. Clearly something is working. Are there going to be nights where the Rams don't turn the other team over? Of course. But that's not because the system is a gimmick, it's because these systems both our schools run are run by 18-22 year olds that aren't machines and where you can just press a button and they will perform perfectly every single night.

Your website is garbage and calling that gangrape on a court style of basketball "beautiful" is a joke. Go pick tobacco.

Homer

We play this thing called man-to-man defense and we do it pretty damn well. You think maybe that had something to do with your 33.8% shooting in the A10 tournament?

Your head is so far up the Rams ass you probably forgot how bad we destroyed you guys last year in the regular season. You better get used to it

Wiz, I assume you have not method for accounting for the fact that one of the BEST COACHES IN THE LAND HAS HAD A WEEK TO PREPARE FOR THIS GAME while VCU had LESS THAN 3 DAYS? This is going to be a double-digit win by my undefeated, yet completely subjective, mathematical calculation.

I can appreciate VCU's defense. It's kinda like the running quarterback thought. It's different than what teams are used to so a team that is not properly prepared is going to panic and make mistakes, once that happens VCU keeps it up and controls the pace of the game. Shaka definitely thinks outside the box, which I think is cool. However, a superior coach will have his team prepared. Crews is a superior coach. The only way I see SLU losing this game is if Shaka throws something completely new at us. The thing about this VCU team is that they don't seem as big as the team that went to Final Four so I think that is one of the reasons they haven't been as effective recently. They are pretty young, once they all start to grow into their bodies watch out. Go Bills!

Wiz, I assume you have not method for accounting for the fact that one of the BEST COACHES IN THE LAND HAS HAD A WEEK TO PREPARE FOR THIS GAME while VCU had LESS THAN 3 DAYS? This is going to be a double-digit win by my undefeated, yet completely subjective, mathematical calculation.

You are correct David....my system doesn't have a factor for preparation but let me see if I can help you out.

Last year we beat VCU by a total of 20 pts in 2 games....10pts/ game...

VCU is scoring -0.4pt less this year...and is giving up 1.5pts more /gm for a net loss of 1.9pts/ gm

The Bills are scoring 2.7pts /gm more and are giving up 0.6 pts /gm for a net gain of 2.1pts/gm

2.1+ 1.9= 4 pts/ gm diff

10pts/gm (ave victory margin over VCU last year by the Bills) + 4pt (added differential for this year) = 14pt victory margin for the Bills

How's that David? Is 14 enough?

Bottomline....VCU worse than last year....The Bills better than last year

VCU....Be afraid....be very afraid

btw, did they have this gimmick thing last year?

Your head is so far up the Rams ass you probably forgot how bad we destroyed you guys last year in the regular season. You better get used to it

Ok, I'll play...

Pray SLU sweeps VCU this season because you're about to graduate 72% of your scoring and no longer have a Hall of Fame coach recruiting guys. We lose 32% (meaning we return the most scoring at the top of the conference) and bring in the nation's 12th-ranked recruiting class that includes three top-100 players (all 6'7 or taller), including top-50 small forward, Terry Larrier. Hell, our lowest rated recruit of our four-man 2014 class is ranked higher than your best incoming player.

Moral of the story: If SLU remains in the A-10 we will own you guys. If you move to the Big East you will join Butler at the bottom of the conference. Either way this is the end of an era at SLU, so better get all your smack talk and shots in now.

Ok, I'll play...

Pray SLU sweeps VCU this season because you're about to graduate 72% of your scoring and no longer have a Hall of Fame coach recruiting guys. We lose 32% (meaning we return the most scoring at the top of the conference) and bring in the nation's 12th-ranked recruiting class that includes three top-100 players (all 6'7 or taller), including top-50 small forward, Terry Larrier. Hell, our lowest rated recruit of our four-man 2014 class is ranked higher than your best incoming player.

Moral of the story: If SLU remains in the A-10 we will own you guys. If you move to the Big East you will join Butler at the bottom of the conference. Either way this is the end of an era at SLU, so better get all your smack talk and shots in now.

Guy is already waving the white flag and looking towards next season. #Shook #BeatemDown

My favorite thing about VCU is that they foul literally every possession, but if there is one missed foul against the opponent, Shaka is riding the refs for the rest of the game. SLU is up 26 on VCU in the 2nd half last year and Shaka is at midcourt during a timeout begging for fouls to be called against SLU but not against his slap happy press