GDT - Vandy's not Dandy...tonight.

AlumniFan

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's frustrating to see how much DE is struggling in beating double teams whether its shooting or passing back out. Need to execute on that since we're gonna see it every game. Obviously half of that is on the rest of the guys but need to get DE involved as much as possible

It's frustrating to see how much DE is struggling in beating double teams whether its shooting or passing back out. Need to execute on that since we're gonna see it every game. Obviously half of that is on the rest of the guys but need to get DE involved as much as possible

We need to take what the other team gives us. If they want to double and triple team DE then JJ or MM drive to the hoop. Just like they did tonight.

Crews simply has to figure out that playing jake doesn't work. Need Evans at the 3 with a traditional pf out there.

How soon we forget that DE woefully has struggled as well playing the 3 this year. Be careful what you wish for in that you just might get it!! In years past, DE was able to take (and make) 10 to 12 ft shots. This year, DE has not. In addition, DE has been totally ineffective on the perimeter to the point that the other teams do not even guard him when he sets up on the perimeter/3 point line. In fact, DE does not even look like he is considering shooting from the 3 pt line but instead is content with trying the rotate the ball to someone else on the perimeter to shoot it. The problem, then, becomes that MM and JJ have not been so good at the 3 pt line either. Don't get me wrong, JB was 0-7 from the 3 pt line last night, played poor defense and just did not have a good game. With that said, JB has the potential to make a 3 pt shot and to stretch defenses while playing the 3 but DE absolutely does not. Simply shooting the 3 pointer will generally stretch a defense but I agree that if JB keeps going 0-7 that defenses will no longer stretch to guard him. As poor as JB has played at times this year, the truth of the matter is that no one has really played better.

Would DE have been equally ineffective at the 3 last night? probably. Remember that DE generally played as poorly as JB did last night. Do you really want to see DE shoot more 3 pointers like last night's with only 8 seconds into the shot clock? I don't. Do you have faith in DE from the perimeter? I don't. Have you seen any guard skills out of DE this year? I haven't. Should we have tried something, anything? probably. But IMO, Crews realizes that this year depends upon the success (or not) of our Seniors, that DE can defend opposing wings but that he has only been effective this year at the 4, that JB apparently is our best complement for DE playing the 4 in that TL and MC are just not yet ready/capable of playing the 3 and that we have to find a way to get DE scoring in games. Playing the 4, DE can generally help this team win (though not last night). RA has not, though in fairness to him, he has not been given enough opportunity.

And of course it has been awhile since I have made comments about Kyle Cassity so no time like the present. IMO, KC was ineffective and had to be removed b/c he became afraid to shoot the 3 pointer and then did not shoot the pointer and that relying upon him to make good passes and an occasional layup was not enough, especially w/o superior defense. Last night, JB was made nothing from the 3 point line, and also made some occasional layups and did not play good defense. The difference, though, is that JB kept battling and kept shooting. We really have no one else. Playing DE will be like going back to having a guy refuse/afraid to shoot the 3 pointer which, I suggest, is worse than not making them. Personally, I'd rather seen more of AM for sure and even more chances for TL. At the same time, playing time is earned and TL has not yet earned it.

We need to take what the other team gives us. If they want to double and triple team DE then JJ or MM drive to the hoop. Just like they did tonight.

Yes that's true I just don't know how often we're gonna get to the hole like that when we shoot as bad as we did last night

How soon we forget that DE woefully has struggled as well playing the 3 this year. Be careful what you wish for in that you just might get it!! In years past, DE was able to take (and make) 10 to 12 ft shots. This year, DE has not. In addition, DE has been totally ineffective on the perimeter to the point that the other teams do not even guard him when he sets up on the perimeter/3 point line. In fact, DE does not even look like he is considering shooting from the 3 pt line but instead is content with trying the rotate the ball to someone else on the perimeter to shoot it. The problem, then, becomes that MM and JJ have not been so good at the 3 pt line either. Don't get me wrong, JB was 0-7 from the 3 pt line last night, played poor defense and just did not have a good game. With that said, JB has the potential to make a 3 pt shot and to stretch defenses while playing the 3 but DE absolutely does not. Simply shooting the 3 pointer will generally stretch a defense but I agree that if JB keeps going 0-7 that defenses will no longer stretch to guard him. As poor as JB has played at times this year, the truth of the matter is that no one has really played better.

Would DE have been equally ineffective at the 3 last night? probably. Remember that DE generally played as poorly as JB did last night. Do you really want to see DE shoot more 3 pointers like last night's with only 8 seconds into the shot clock? I don't. Do you have faith in DE from the perimeter? I don't. Have you seen any guard skills out of DE this year? I haven't. Should we have tried something, anything? probably. But IMO, Crews realizes that this year depends upon the success (or not) of our Seniors, that DE can defend opposing wings but that he has only been effective this year at the 4, that JB apparently is our best complement for DE playing the 4 in that TL and MC are just not yet ready/capable of playing the 3 and that we have to find a way to get DE scoring in games. Playing the 4, DE can generally help this team win (though not last night). RA has not, though in fairness to him, he has not been given enough opportunity.

And of course it has been awhile since I have made comments about Kyle Cassity so no time like the present. IMO, KC was ineffective and had to be removed b/c he became afraid to shoot the 3 pointer and then did not shoot the pointer and that relying upon him to make good passes and an occasional layup was not enough, especially w/o superior defense. Last night, JB was made nothing from the 3 point line, and also made some occasional layups and did not play good defense. The difference, though, is that JB kept battling and kept shooting. We really have no one else. Playing DE will be like going back to having a guy refuse/afraid to shoot the 3 pointer which, I suggest, is worse than not making them. Personally, I'd rather seen more of AM for sure and even more chances for TL. At the same time, playing time is earned and TL has not yet earned it.

I agree that DE at the 3 has not worked this year or last. I have to disagree that JB is being covered - he was so wide open last night on all of his 3pt shots that it was a joke that he could not hit even one. This one reason DE is being doubled and tripled team down low nobody has to worry about JB shooting. I am really surprised that DE did not work - maybe he did but it does not show - on developing a bit of a perimeter game this summer. He can solve some of his problems if he would just make a few of those perimeter shots from the 10-12 feet range. That would open things up for him without making someone else doing it for him which we know has not happened. There is one advantage to DE playing the 3 - he unclogs the paint so our guards can drive to the basket which is clearly their game.

The problem is what I feared prior to this season. I felt like Cody was going to be the hardest to replace. Even though his 3-point percentage wasn't that great, having that stretch four really opened up room for DE to operate in the paint and it created a lot of driving lanes for our guards.

The problem is what I feared prior to this season. I felt like Cody was going to be the hardest to replace. Even though his 3-point percentage wasn't that great, having that stretch four really opened up room for DE to operate in the paint and it created a lot of driving lanes for our guards.

Very true.

This is exactly right.

Crews simply has to figure out that playing jake doesn't work. Need Evans at the 3 with a traditional pf out there.

Agreed.

RL

RA

DE

MM

JJ

AM first off the bench.

Then GG.

Then TL

JM when we need to clog the middle and block some shots.

The rest can piss up a rope for now.

Agreed.

RL

RA

DE

MM

JJ

AM first off the bench.

Then GG.

Then TL

JM when we need to clog the middle and block some shots.

The rest can piss up a rope for now.

Switch TL and Manning and I completely agree with this.

The problem with DE at the 4 instead of the 3 is the caliber of player he's being guarded by. Last year he played very little time at the 4 despite what some people say. Before someone contradicts this and claims he played alot at the 4, look up the minutes first. Or here, I'll save you the trouble of being wrong and give you the facts in advance (not picking on you clock, but all of those that don't seem to understand who DE is and why he's successful) We played 35 games last year giving us 2800 minutes. CR, CE, GG, JM, and RL played 2756 minutes and few but more than likely none of those minutes were at the 3 by any of those players. It shows that for all but 44 minutes 2 of those 5 were on the floor at the same time putting DE as the 3. DE wasn't a perimiter shooter last year he attempted 19 3's all year. He was effective because he was guarded by the oponents 3 where his strength and craftiness inside made him a tough matchup. DE isn't exceptionally quick nor athletic. He scores because he outworks and out toughs the defender. With one of CE or RL almost always on the floor it took a big out leaving a big guarding our 5 and their 3 on DE. DE exploited that often. This year he's playing the 4 more with JB at the 3 and he's being defended inside by longer and many times more athletic players making it more difficult for him to do damage inside. He isn't going to have a 3 pt game and never has. He's always done his work with a midrange game and inside, just against smaller defenders. Really, that's all that's changed. He's being guarded by bigger more athletic defenders and no one is stretching the floor. However, he went for 9 and 9 last night and is averaging 16 ppg give or take. DE isn't the problem. The problem is our 3 who can't hit an outside shot and was 50% on drives last night.