fontbonne game time

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could have sworn that one of the reasons we built our own arena was so we could have complete control over our own schedule. Which means that someone consciously chose to hold our first game not just on a Thursday night, but also on a Thursday night that happens to be Halloween.

I can then only assume that the Jesuits didn't want the school to hold a game on a holy day of obligation, and ruling out Nov. 2 dates back to when Itzak Ohanon was uncomfortable playing on shabbas.

When is the preseason scrimmage against Northwestern scheduled to be held? It is probably in Chicago. That may have put a wrench in the scheduling.

I think it is on 11/2 - Halloween night seems odd but they know the game will be lightly attended anyway and who could know that the Cards would be in the World Series.

Now all these unhappy children that cannot go trick or treating due to the thunderstorms will be able to go trick or treat at the SLU-Fontbonne game.

Trunk-or-treating in the Fred Weber Lot would actually be kind of a fun idea if they could guarantee that enough families would participate.

What kind of athletic supporters are we? Folks complain about a game inhibiting their Mardi Gras celebration. Folks complain about a game on Halloween. Folks complain about a game on New Year's Eve day. Folks complain about a game in conflict with a baseball game. A football game. A hockey game. How come the Ram's didn't cancel or move their MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL game because of the Cards' World Series? The Ravens had to open on the road this year because the Orioles would not move their 7:00 pm start to 4:30 pm and the stadiums are both downtown (of course right next to each other and not a whopping seven blocks apart as is the Dome and Busch -- whew!). You can't check schedules that far in advance anyway --- three and four game sweeps in the divisional playoffs make the World Series dates fluid until late October at best. This type of b*tching is pathetic.

Don't go if you have conflicts. Make a freaking decision. What's more important to you? Your kids? Your Cardinal? Your Billikens? Ever see the commercial where mom and dad were late to their kid's wedding because they were Alabama fans?

Kind of a new-ish deal, I guess. Parents all park in a parking lot, decorate their cars, hand out candy.

What. Gotta say this sounds pretty weird. You guys like drive to the nearest Wal-Mart Supercenter and park in a circle? Whatever happened to just walking in the neighborhood? What about Easter? You guys go to Forest Park and pass plastic eggs around?

I can't believe you're falling for this, Box. Smh.

AMERICA IS FALLING APART.

What. Gotta say this sounds pretty weird. You guys like drive to the nearest Wal-Mart Supercenter and park in a circle? Whatever happened to just walking in the neighborhood? What about Easter? You guys go to Forest Park and pass plastic eggs around?

I can't believe you're falling for this, Box. Smh.

AMERICA IS FALLING APART.

I think it's intended to supplement Halloween, as opposed to replacing it. My daughter's school did it on Friday night, and the kids had a good time. They'll all go door-to-door tomorrow.

Days you should not schedule home games: Christmas, Easter, Halloween, and Thanksgiving.

Anything else is fine, but the vast majority will opt to not go to a basketball game on those days.

False.

Many, many NCAA basketball teams play on Thanksgiving, often in destination tournaments. Games are not well attended because they're in the Bahamas, Cancun, Hawai'i, et al, but it doesn't matter- the tournaments are made for TV and ratings must be good enough to keep doing more of them. We play in one such tournament this Thanksgiving.

NCAA basketball teams usually get a few days off over Christmas to travel home.

I have watched many an NBA Christmas game. They tend to put marquee matchups on this date and they appear to be well attended. The ratings are also very good for these games, as you get a bunch of bored, stuffed, buzzed family members sitting around with the TV on during the holiday, just like with Thanksgiving NFL and college basketball games.

There are also MLB games most Easter Sundays. This year, Easter was early (3/31), and the season started on 4/1 for most teams. In 2012, the Cards played in Milwaukee on Easter and announced attendance was a robust 33,211.

As for Halloween, there are plenty of NBA, NHL, and sometimes NFL games that happen on that date. There doesn't appear to be a statistically significant dip in attendance or ratings for these games compared to other nearby ones in each sport's season.

I just don't understand your premise. Games for almost all sports are widely viewed and well-attended on those holidays.

Part of the wussififcation of American youth.

I went to my neice and nephews' trunk or treat last Sunday. It was at our parish's lot and we knew everyone there. They had a dj. Ray Parker jr and pitbull were played. The adults drank wassail and 'taxed' their kids candy..I liked it.

Can't make tomorrow, but ecstatic! Either way :)

False.

Many, many NCAA basketball teams play on Thanksgiving, often in destination tournaments. Games are not well attended because they're in the Bahamas, Cancun, Hawai'i, et al, but it doesn't matter- the tournaments are made for TV and ratings must be good enough to keep doing more of them. We play in one such tournament this Thanksgiving.

I guess I should have put HOME GAMES in caps and bold.