New assistant coach

I can be wary of hiring ex pro players for college coaching jobs (see Drexler, Clyde) and Cheaney made over 30 million in his career. Then serves as DOB for Indiana. This guy doesn't need to work. He has a genuine desire to coach and win at a high level.

I was thinking about this last night. As you can see my initial reaction was all positive and I am still very happy with the hire, but if I were to play devil's advocate I would ask how many ex-NBA players have turned into good college coaches or even good assistant coaches?

I really have no idea, but I can't think of many off the top of my head. Danny Manning is a good one that comes to mind. Isaiah Thomas is one that failed miserably. There could be a variety of reasons that this is the case. You often hear that guys who are natural talents (i.e. ex-NBAers) don't have the ability to "teach" others who have less talent than they did. I'm not sure I buy that. More likely guys who have made a ton of money in the NBA don't have the desire to work their butts off as low level DBOs and assistant coaches for (comparatively) peanuts in order to gain the experience necessary to be a good top assistant or head coach. As you point out, this is clearly not an issue for Cheaney, so I'm optimistic.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are even more intangibles recruiting wise than the ones we are just stating.

I have three uncles who are Illini grads and I expected them to give me crap about the hiring, on the contrary they had nothing but nice things to say about him, his character, how well spoken he is. My Father (who met him during his time in Boston) said "He is the kind of guy you would trust in your home, and further more trust your son with."

While attempting not to be hyperbolic, this gives us massive gains in recruiting both in Indiana and Illinois, we hurt IU, UofI, PU, ND, and Butler with a hire like this. Major Midwestern recruiting splash.

Here is an ESPN article from last year that is mostly about coaches who had relatively little playing experience, but it touches on the opposite (coaches who played in the NBA) a bit as well:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8011917/some-top-coaches-prove-play-high-level-coach-one-men-college-basketball

The article sites Manning and Iowa State's Fred Hoiberg as ex-NBAers who have become successful college coaches.

Cheaney has all the credentials he needs to make a significant and immediate impact upon the SLU basketball program. Professional NBA player, all time Big 10 scorer, prior national player of the year, DB at Indiana with responsibility on recruiting. This man will not only make an immediate impact upon recruiting, but he will provide a great media "story" for us. Media always looks for the "story" behind the facts, Cheaney has what it takes to provide a new "story" to SLU's basketball program. Increased visibility in the media with a positive slant will be good for us. This is a great addition to the program.

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE

OH MY GOD, I WAS JUST ABOUT TO POST HOW LAME ALL THE NEWS ON THE BOARD WAS THIS MORNING AND THEN I SAW THIS. I AM OUT OF MY MIND. I REMEMBER WATCHING CALBERT CHEANEY TEAR FOOLS UP IN THE TOURNAMENT FROM A HOTEL ROOM IN 1993. I THOUGHT HE WAS THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD.

I DON'T LIKE CALBERT CHEANEY, I GOTDAMN LOVE CALBERT CHEANEY.

YEAH, I'M YELLING. I DON'T GIVE A FUOK. I AM BEYOND ECSTATIC ABOUT THIS HIRE. BILLLLLLLLLLLLLIIIESSSSSS...

Great, great hire. Much better than many of us had hoped for. I say buy him a suitcase, get him a room at the MAC until he has time to find a permanent living place, and get him out on the road recruiting ASAP!

With regard to who might be able to coach JM on how to be a #5, I think at least JC or CC are more than up to the challenge. You don't have to be a former #5 to be able to coach one. I remember watching RG work after practice with AB and that seemed to work out ok.

Easy there fella. We don't want him to quit before he ever gets started. Somewhere a bit nicer than that. Maybe the Westin.

Wow. Wow x 10! I almost peed on the couch last night when News 4 announced this -- the first I heard of it. Westy is right-- I'm ecstatic and I want to echo some of the others on here: a great, great coup for this program.

Pelican is right: Cal is a great guy, a class act; and a true blue stud as an athlete too. That team that lost to Duke in the final four (@#$!*&%#*!) was absolutely stacked and probably one of the best teams ever, not to win the championship (they were ranked #! virtually the entire year).

Somebody said he is not a household name. (Is Pete Maravich a household name anymore??) But then duff man comes back with the reality: yes, not only player of the year (Wooden & Naismith both), but -- wait for it-- all time leading scorer in the big ten--say what?? are you kidding me?? just think of some of the names on that list: all behind Calbert. Think of the cache he brings to a place like Indiana: he also now has great experience with Crean, a guy who can coach and recruit.

I knew him and he lived with Chris Reynolds, an all time great guy and super defensively. The coaching tree of the General keeps growing; Calbert will know how to improve players defensively. But as a player, I'll tell you one thing: I've seen some guys come and go but I cannot think of another pure, true, first game freshman who could score it like Calbert. His shot was pure as oxygen, his form was -- well, beautiful, at 18; and never really changed. that kid was, simply put, a born scorer. And absolutely effortless: I got to tell you, some athletes sweat and huff and puff, not Calbert.

Yes, this is a great lift in a very hectic week.

dude, absolutely. calbert is the man. so smooth.

• 1993: Won all 12 NCAA National Player of the year awards. Unanimous First-Team All America

All-America 1991, 1992, 1993

1993 Big Ten Conference MVP

All-Big Ten 1991, 1992, 1993

Big Ten's All Time Scoring Leader (2,613)

Indiana University's All-Time leading scorer

Four time IU team MVP

Selected to Indiana University's All-Century First Team

1993 USBWA College Player of the Year

Sources indicate that @SaintLouisMBB's new assistant coach Calbert Cheaney will join @MiddleRelief920 this afternoon. #SLU #iubb

Apparently he will be on 920AM at 12:15pm.

Fair warning for those who listen the Middle Relief show consists of Bryan Burwell, Joe Strauss, and Charlie Marlow. To anyone who listens and their ears aren't bleeding too bad afterwards a re-cap would be appreciated.

The problem with ex NBA players becoming coaches seems to be limited to guys who didn't work there way up through the ranks and anyone named Isiah Thomas. The sample size is actually pretty small, but Romar, Ollie, Hoiberg, Donovan, and Alford have done pretty well.

If nothing else, with danny brown and wilson, chaney gives us a hell of a practice team.

I definitely like the hire, but the more frequent failure of ex nba players in the college ranks gives me pause to "wait and see" before annoiting chaney as heir to the HC.

A DOB is not even close to an assistant. To see if he can handle the rigors and disappointments of recruiting and trying to teach what came so easy for calbert will be interesting to follow. Will he turn into billy donovan or clyde drexler. We shall see.

Still i appreciate and like the message sent with the hire.

If nothing else, with danny brown and wilson chaney gives us a hell of a practice team.

I definitely like the hire, but the more frequent failure of ex nba players in the college ranks gives me pause to "wait and see" before annoiting chaney as heir to the HC.

A DOB is not even close to an assistant. To see if he can handle the rigors and disappointments of recruiting and trying to teach what came do easy for calbert will be interesting to follow. Will he turn into billy donovan or clyde drexler. We shall see.

Still i appreciate and like the message sent with the hire.

What more frequent failure? There have been some flops, but I think the successes actually outnumber the flops. The sample size is actually a lot smaller than I thought.

Hell we had one here at SLU that turned out pretty well.

The other thing (that may have been noted already) is that Calbert isn't coming here on the cheap. I am sure he was making a pretty nice chunk at Indiana even at a basketball ops level. Hopefully this is a sign that Crews got some concessions regarding assistants pay with his new contract.

There isn't a large enough sample size to gauge how successful or not ex-NBA players are as head coaches. Guys like Billy Donovan and Cuonzo Martin had a limited NBA run. Guys like Jim Les and Bryce Drew were longer term journeymen type. Then you have guys like Johny Dawkins, Eddie Jordan, Reggie Theus, and Dan Majerle had fairly successful careers that are probably similar to Calbert in length and $$. The good majority of them have had some success, but that doesn't factor in the level of school they were at, or the rosters they inherited.

This is not a Clyde Drexler situation, who was sort of handed a head coaching job with little coaching experience. The Drexler hire was a gimmick by a desperate program. Calbert is clearly willing to pay his dues and work his way up from the bottom. Starting as a DBO before moving up.

The other thing (that may have been noted already) is that Calbert isn't coming here on the cheap. I am sure he was making a pretty nice chunk at Indiana even at a basketball ops level. Hopefully this is a sign that Crews got some concessions regarding assistants pay with his new contract.

Good points.

There isn't a large enough sample size to gauge how successful or not ex-NBA players are as head coaches. Guys like Billy Donovan and Cuonzo Martin had a limited NBA run. Guys like Jim Les and Bryce Drew were longer term journeymen type. Then you have guys like Johny Dawkins, Eddie Jordan, Reggie Theus, and Dan Majerle had fairly successful careers that are probably similar to Calbert in length and $$. The good majority of them have had some success, but that doesn't factor in the level of school they were at, or the rosters they inherited.

Majerle and Jordan have not coached a game yet.

What more frequent failure? There have been some flops, but I think the successes actually outnumber the flops. The sample size is actually a lot smaller than I thought.

Hell we had one here at SLU that turned out pretty well.

Who is our ex billiken nba player that became a successful head coach in college basketball?