John Manning

Sloan played the 4 out of necessity, he always wanted to play as more of a true guard. He would get fustrated at practice having to go through all of the big man drills when he felt more natural as a guard. I think his ability gets overlooked since he had to play out of position so much.

Interesting. And you may be correct. I just don't recall watching many guard skills w Sloan

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CBSsports Jon Rothstein this AM:

@JonRothstein: Saint Louis fans should remember the name John Manning. Could be Billikens' first post reserve. Rick Majerus LOVED him. Has potential.

SLU fans haven't forgotten; hopefully it's the non-SLU fans who'll be getting acquainted with the name over the next 18 months!

Rothstein's tweet means nothing. Anybody and tweet anything anytime and it does not make that person right and everyone else wrong. By the way I hope he is right but I am not holding my breath.

And you can continue to post how much you don't believe in John Manning and it won't change anything.

And you can continue to post how much you don't believe in John Manning and it won't change anything.

I hope the tweet is based on more than coach Majerus being high on him a few years back. If Manning can step up and provide a presence in the paint that would be huge for this team. This is the year most of us expected him to become a contributor, so we shall see soon whether he is a player or a project that did not work out.

Has anyone heard any buzz about the team from the first week of practice (who has elevated their game, how the freshmen look, etc.)?

The Chris Heinrich comparison is apples and oranges: I liked Chris Henrich because he stopped up the middle; his clothes lining of a player going down the sidelines can only be explained by him being a brute-our brute.

JM is a true center with skills far beyond CH in some areas but no presence-so far. I hope that comes junior and senior year. JM is no Rob Loe, or Cody Ellis, either-he is yet to fully identify himself.

Yo JM is looking good out there at Billiken Madness. Keep it up young man!

I've never questioned Manning's defense. Solid rebounder and clogs up the middle but he fouls too much.

He showed tonight, just like his first two seasons he can get his shot off from anywhere. Converting them is the problem. Shot maybe 1-6 during the scrimmage.