Jim Whitesell

JMM28

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still say SLU should get Jamall Walker from Illinois; make him the associate head coach. Pay him more than what he's getting as an assistant coach at Illinois.

Pretty sure that is a tall offer there. If retaining Whitesell was an issue based on monetary reasons, don't think SLU is going to go out and outspend Illinois to get Walker. But, you know, we can all dream.

JW was instrumental in getting RA, TL, and others that make up this impressive 2013 recruiting class. He will be missed but I do want to state that it is likely that the money was not the chief motivator for his decision as I have been told. It is easy to assume that but I know he loved the family atmosphere that has been created at SLU around this basketball program. The passing of RM and the success of SLU in recent years would keep most of anyone here to see it through. I wish him the best and hope to see him soon in the "Beast."

JW was instrumental in getting RA, TL, and others that make up this impressive 2013 recruiting class. He will be missed but I do want to state that it is likely that the money was not the chief motivator for his decision as I have been told. It is easy to assume that but I know he loved the family atmosphere that has been created at SLU around this basketball program. The passing of RM and the success of SLU in recent years would keep most of anyone here to see it through. I wish him the best and hope to see him soon in the "Beast."

I am sorry but your post confused me - if money was not the primary motivator and he loved the family atmosphere at SLU then why did he leave? Just asking?

I am sorry but your post confused me - if money was not the primary motivator and he loved the family atmosphere at SLU then why did he leave? Just asking?

as i stated earlier in the thread, most likely whitesell had issues that crews was the coach chosen to be the head coach. if you remember, whitesell was teh "associate head coach" and probably assumed if promoted from within was the natural heir to rickma's job. very few people look for a new job because of money. usually it is another reason. ultimately money might be the reason they left, but to start more times than not it is an issue with some other aspect of the job that people start the process.

everyone wants to be wanted. and after getting lept over for the position to have st johns come calling and saying they want you is probably a pretty good feeling.

I'm going to miss Jim Whitesell and I wish him nothing but the best going forward. Hopefully after this season we see him on a regular basis in league play! That being said when one door closes another opens, been thinking about Ahearn and what he would bring to the staff if reports are true he is in the mix. Ncaa record holder, nba pro career, one of the best shooters in the country, from area, trend in coaching is going younger. He just doesn't have coaching experience that I know of, that is a major red flag. However he might be a X's and O's genius, no clue. I just think about what guys like Crawford, Mccall, Jett, Evans, Lowe could learn from a former player like that. I think the fact alone he played a little in the nba might go far in getting the players attention and also help recruit kids to the Billikens. In Chris May and Coach Crews, I fully trust their judgments and who better for Ahearn to learn from than these two gentlemen.

Ahearn shouldn't be in the mix at all. He Has no experience coaching, recruiting, game planning, breaking down tape, evaluating talent, scheduling games or running a practice. I quess other than that he might be qualified for the job. Graduate assistant maybe, but none of the full time jobs.

Ahearn shouldn't be in the mix at all. He Has no experience coaching, recruiting, game planning, breaking down tape, evaluating talent, scheduling games or running a practice. I quess other than that he might be qualified for the job. Graduate assistant maybe, but none of the full time jobs.

I'm not saying we should hire Ahearn, but I am ok with taking chances on one of your assistant coaches if you believe they are qualified. Platt, Crews and now even Bronson have lots of experience with all those things you mentioned. If one assistant really looked like he had potential but not experience, I would be ok risking it.

So a school that was never willing to take a chance with one of it's own with no experience, like Bonner should take take that chance with Ahearn? Hell even Danny Manning had to spend three years as a team manager at KU. You hire a white guy with no experience coaching at any level, no connections to the school and add him to an all white staff........... you can just write off any chance you have to land a large group of local kids. It would be a fuoking PR nightmare for SLU in the local African American community.

I think you covered everything.

So a school that was never willing to take a chance with one of it's own with no experience, like Bonner should take take that chance with Ahearn? Hell even Danny Manning had to spend three years as a team manager at KU. You hire a white guy with no experience coaching at any level, no connections to the school and add him to an all white staff........... you can just write off any chance you have to land a large group of local kids. It would be a fuoking PR nightmare for SLU in the local African American community.

I'm definitely not saying we should hire Ahearn. All I mean is that if you thought someone was going to be a really good assistant coach, I would hire them despite their inexperience if you had them on a veteran staff.

Personally I agree with your points about Ahearn specifically, especially as it relates to recruiting.

Nothing against Bronson, but didn't Majerus bring him in at a young age? He is still young correct? I have no idea what his basketball IQ is- Ahaern. If he knows his X's and O's, bonus. With Crews around that shouldn't be a concern. But getting a guy in that played in the nba and is a great shooter, how is that not a bonus with all of the guards on the team? Who cares if he is black, white or purple? Do you think Jett cares more if he is white or black or that the guy played at the highest level and can help him improve his game? I just made a statement he would be an interesting hire. I don't know the guy or really care, I just like his playing resume. Crews knows what he is doing more than any of us on billikens.com. All coaches good or bad had to get started somewhere. The head coach is the only position that matters, assistants come and go all the time as proof with Whitesell.

I agree, I do not think Ahern would be a good choice for a lot of reasons.

That aside, do not make it into 1) an "absolute" issue regarding experience or 2) a goddam racial issue.

Coaches and other veteran leaders and observers close to the game know that some young men on these teams might be natural, gifted, future coaches: knowledgeable, intelligent, hard working, good teaching skills, good leaders, poise, ethics, etc... and others do not have those abilities and probably will never be coaching material.

If you were on a college team of any consequence, even as a player, it is pretty obvious by the end of a season who among the players have any coaching potential, even without experience. But the coaches and AD pick up on it very accurately. You never know for sure, of course.

Personally I wouldn't hire Ahearn, but I'm basing that more from knowing him as a kid. That said I was extremely surprised to see his basketball career flourish post college. He put in a ton of work to get to the NBA. Though he only played a handful of games no one would have bet on him making it coming out of college. Playing in the D league mostly in North Dakota for 5 years, that certainly wasn't about money. He loved basketball and worked his ass off to make himself better. All time D league scorer, I give him all the credit in the world.

Who knows maybe he has some intangibles that make him ready to be an Asst at the D-1 level. That is for Crews to decide. If he was qualified and could help the staff I think it would be a good hire. Still I'd like to see him pay his dues, come up like everyone else.

Lets not make this a race thing though. Having 1 black coach on the staff isn't going to bring kids flocking to the program. It might help in some ways but you might have some see that coach as some sort of token. Just like players, you hire the best coach available.

Nothing against Bronson, but didn't Majerus bring him in at a young age? He is still young correct? I have no idea what his basketball IQ is- Ahaern. If he knows his X's and O's, bonus. With Crews around that shouldn't be a concern. But getting a guy in that played in the nba and is a great shooter, how is that not a bonus with all of the guards on the team? Who cares if he is black, white or purple? Do you think Jett cares more if he is white or black or that the guy played at the highest level and can help him improve his game? I just made a statement he would be an interesting hire. I don't know the guy or really care, I just like his playing resume. Crews knows what he is doing more than any of us on billikens.com. All coaches good or bad had to get started somewhere. The head coach is the only position that matters, assistants come and go all the time as proof with Whitesell.

bronson did time first as graduate manager for rickma before getting an assistant's position. he also came with experience as a D-league assistant and time at the Power Academy as a basketball instructor. to compare bronson with ahearn is not even close.

justin tatum is the right guy imo.

Bronson was not brought in as an asst coach - he came in as something much lower and he worked his way up by putting in his time. Sorry Roy did not see your response firts.

Anybody see the article in the Post yesterday about Biondi and how he is going after his critics even after he has announced his retirement. If the article is true, then he is even worse than I thought and I thought he was pretty poor. My point is that I thought maybe he would have less power as a lame duck over programs such as the BB but apparently he is still throwing his weight around - how can the Board of Trustees allow him to do this - why would they want even more carnage?

Why is it when asst coach leaves for another job, his legend grows?