Recruiting - 2014

Illinois State is in play still as well, but I would think SLU is best case for him out of the 3. Chance for immediate playing time and a successful program.

Uh oh, wasn't it the ISU bimbos that stole that JUCO PG from us last year w/ booty promises?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh oh, wasn't it the ISU bimbos that stole that JUCO PG from us last year w/ booty promises?

Yeah and then he got on campus and preceded to beat on one of them. Daishon Knight.

"AssistantState’s Attorney Jessica Woods said the basis for the charges involved a fight in downtown Bloomington where a police officer saw Knight punch a woman in the face for no apparent reason. Knight then ran from the scene as a Bloomington officer was trying to place him in handcuffs, said the prosecutor."

I think State U, 120 miles west of here has a scholarship (of course, limited to transfers) that just opened up for an aggressive player who isn't afraid to mix it up with either another man or a woman.

Glad we LOST on on this guy if, in fact, we ever wanted him.

Yeah and then he got on campus and preceded to beat on one of them. Daishon Knight.

"AssistantState’s Attorney Jessica Woods said the basis for the charges involved a fight in downtown Bloomington where a police officer saw Knight punch a woman in the face for no apparent reason. Knight then ran from the scene as a Bloomington officer was trying to place him in handcuffs, said the prosecutor."

What is the news on Nolan Berry? I know Frank Cusumano mentioned SLU being very interested in him.

The last report indicated that he was going to be taking some visits in early May before deciding. At this point, it looks like Berry would be a Plan B option.

Based on only having one scholarship to give and waiting for Yarbrough to make a decision in the near future.

Do you have any information that indicates that if Berry indicated he'd transfer prior to Yarbrough deciding the coaching staff would decline young Mr. Berry? I kind of feel like it may be first come will get it. I certainly have no inside information, just guessing. There may be other transfers or Juco's out there that we have no idea about.

At this point, nothing would surprise me.

Welmer can change his mind anytime - we need to assume that we have 2 to give not 1.

Of course people can change their minds, but as of right now we have only 2 scholarships and 1 is spoken for. Unless we plan on oversubscribing we only have one to go. That is how I think about it.

Of course, you could always argue that we should be recruiting for 13 spots since any player could leave at any time...

Based on what exactly?

Based on the fact that Yarbrough just visited SLU and has indicated that he plans to make a decision before the end of the month. Berry won't even make visits until May. What if Yarbrough picks SLU in the next week or so? Are we going to make him wait until we figure out what is going on with Berry? Seems doubtful.

Do you have any information that indicates that if Berry indicated he'd transfer prior to Yarbrough deciding the coaching staff would decline young Mr. Berry? I kind of feel like it may be first come will get it. I certainly have no inside information, just guessing. There may be other transfers or Juco's out there that we have no idea about.

At this point, nothing would surprise me.

I haven't spoken directly with any of the related parties (and probably wouldn't share it here if I had) but the timing of it all suggests Berry is not the priority at this point:

- They met with Nolan a few weeks ago and everyone decided a visit in early May would make sense

- They continued to recruit Yarbrough and he had an "amazing" visit. He has stated that he plans to make a decision in April.

While anything is possible, I don't get the feeling they are interested in Yarbrough solely for the purpose of putting pressure on Berry. And since Berry hasn't committed at this point, there is no reason to believe he will commit in April. This leads me to believe that either Berry and SLU aren't mutually sold on eachother yet or SLU has told Berry he needs to wait to see how it goes with Yarbrough. Yarbrough clearly has the option to end this when he is ready. Its not clear at all if Berry has the same option.

I haven't spoken directly with any of the related parties (and probably wouldn't share it here if I had) but the timing of it all suggests Berry is not the priority at this point:

- They met with Nolan a few weeks ago and everyone decided a visit in early May would make sense

- They continued to recruit Yarbrough and he had an "amazing" visit. He has stated that he plans to make a decision in April.

While anything is possible, I don't get the feeling they are interested in Yarbrough solely for the purpose of putting pressure on Berry. And since Berry hasn't committed at this point, there is no reason to believe he will commit in April. This leads me to believe that either Berry and SLU aren't mutually sold on eachother yet or SLU has told Berry he needs to wait to see how it goes with Yarbrough. Yarbrough clearly has the option to end this when he is ready. Its not clear at all if Berry has the same option.

I doubt SLU is telling Berry to wait and see what happens with this kid. I would tend to think that Berry is set on waiting until school is out to take his visits and make a decision (l doubt SLU made that decision for him) and SLU is deciding that it won't wait around for him and they have to keep recruiting. I don't think it necessarily means one guy is the priority over the other, but it does show me that SLU isn't going to wait around for Berry and I would assume that was communicated to Berry. SLU could be interested in a handful of guys at this point and could be happy with any of those guys filling that final sport, but likely is not going to put everything on hold for one guy.

Berry is going to have to sit a year no matter what/where he decides. Yarbrough is for next year, correct? Stranger deals have been cut. Seems I would prefer to have guys signed who will play next year. I still believe either Gillmann or Jolly are prime redshirt candidates too. Given all I've heard thast Berry plays the same game as Gillmann, Jolly and Welmer, do we need more of that?

Berry is going to have to sit a year no matter what/where he decides. Yarbrough is for next year, correct? Stranger deals have been cut. Seems I would prefer to have guys signed who will play next year. I still believe either Gillmann or Jolly are prime redshirt candidates too. Given all I've heard thast Berry plays the same game as Gillmann, Jolly and Welmer, do we need more of that?

Yarbrough would be eligible to play immediately. I tend to agree with you with regards to Berry and questioning the need, but I could be wrong.

Agree that I don't feel Berry is the priority due to similarity to others on the roster and coming in, as well as having to wait a year for him. What we need more of are guys that can get shots for themselves and others. Yarbrough fits this need. Not the greatest athlete but can play at multiple speeds with a bit of size. Won't be shocked to see Berry pay his own way to SLU. Transfer list is very lengthy right now and a huge list of better prospects on that list. Interesting story might be who decides to leave? A lot of players vying for same positions that may have to sit behind someone in the same class or a year ahead or being an upperclassmen sitting behind an underclassmen.

Won't be shocked to see Berry pay his own way to SLU. Transfer list is very lengthy right now and a huge list of better prospects on that list.

Is this based on anything you have heard or purely speculation?

From purely a basketball standpoint I think he is making a mistake waiting until May to start taking visits and to make a decision. I don't think he is the type of talent many programs will be waiting around for and some of the places he is interested in may no longer have openings for him. I wonder if Brad Soderberg has reached out to him yet jk.

Agree that I don't feel Berry is the priority due to similarity to others on the roster and coming in, as well as having to wait a year for him. What we need more of are guys that can get shots for themselves and others. Yarbrough fits this need. Not the greatest athlete but can play at multiple speeds with a bit of size. Won't be shocked to see Berry pay his own way to SLU. Transfer list is very lengthy right now and a huge list of better prospects on that list. Interesting story might be who decides to leave? A lot of players vying for same positions that may have to sit behind someone in the same class or a year ahead or being an upperclassmen sitting behind an underclassmen.

I don't see transfers being a problem this year. The guys that are here all see a good chance to log minutes. Plus the two seniors and two transfers aren't about to pull the plug at this stage and sit around for another year. The FR aren't even enrolled yet and don't see them suddenly reneging on an LOI. Next year that could be a different matter as we'll have 6 guards on the roster and one of the FR might not be faring as well as the other two, so that might make him a transfer casualty. I don't expect Jolly or Gillmann to leave as they are the only bigs.

Is this based on anything you have heard or purely speculation?

From purely a basketball standpoint I think he is making a mistake waiting until May to start taking visits and to make a decision. I don't think he is the type of talent many programs will be waiting around for and some of the places he is interested in may no longer have openings for htim. I wonder if Brad Soderberg has reached out to him yet jk.

Speculation, nothing specific. My point is I don't believe he is a priority for SLU with the last scholly for next season. But Berry may feel this is a great fit for himself in 2015-2016. If so, walk-on.

I don't see transfers being a problem this year. The guys that are here all see a good chance to log minutes. Plus the two seniors and two transfers aren't about to pull the plug at this stage and sit around for another year. The FR aren't even enrolled yet and don't see them suddenly reneging on an LOI. Next year that could be a different matter as we'll have 6 guards on the roster and one of the FR might not be faring as well as the other two, so that might make him a transfer casualty. I don't expect Jolly or Gillmann to leave as they are the only bigs.

Odd things ocurr in the summers when players all show up and begin scrimmaging against each other. Certain guys see the daily competition and start thinking its not the right place to get playing time. Most transfers ocurr right after the season, and then a few more happen in late June to middle of July.

1. SLU needs help for next year and Berry cannot help SLU next year except as a practice body.

2. Berry plays the C/PF position and we are well stocked at that position.

3. SLU does not have a SF/slasher type on the squad. Sure, maybe one of our tall guards could fill that need.

4. Still would like to find a SF/slasher type from immediately eligible transfers or the JC ranks, but that does not look likely.

5. Given this, Yarbrough or a similar HS or Prep player possible looks like our best option (but boy, don't like six in one class).

Speculation, nothing specific. My point is I don't believe he is a priority for SLU with the last scholly for next season. But Berry may feel this is a great fit for himself in 2015-2016. If so, walk-on.

What guys could you possibly see pulling the transfer plug in July or August based on summer pickup games? AY or AM? Neither want to spend another year practicing. GG or JM they're both Seniors. RA, MC, or TL? All of them know they'll be up for significant minutes this year. It's not like we have 2 or 3 five stars coming in that will knock them out, ie we're not KY or Duke. The Frosh? I don't think anyone of them is coming in expecting to start game 1 since none of them are Mickey D All Americans. I'd be shocked if anyone leaves the Bills this season. Next year's a different story with all the guards we have.