Recruiting - 2014

Also it sounds like Joe Strauss will have a SLU column in the PD tomorrow:

Wed column to P-D, @stltoday re: SLU hoops' position w/in a diminished Atlantic 10.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/joe-strauss/strauss-diminishing-a--gives-slu-less-wiggle-room/article_5b840f3d-e0f5-5bb0-b238-8438f0a0c5d8.html

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no distinct guidelines for the number of offers. For example (as per Verbal Commits) Xavier had 2 open slots for it 2014 class and made 26 offers (tow of which committed already). The remaining 24 offers are still open according to Verbal Commits.

I stopped reading this crap when this dumbass wrote the following line:

"But one probably will reflect a decade or two from now on the 2012-13 run as arguably one of the most compelling regular seasons by any mid-major conference."

F him.

I stopped reading this crap when this dumbass wrote the following line:

"But one probably will reflect a decade or two from now on the 2012-13 run as arguably one of the most compelling regular seasons by any mid-major conference."

F him.

Strauss loves the A-10 because he is a VCU grad. I wouldn't get upset because someone used the term mid-major.

The article was fine, although it didn't really break any new ground.

You are the best mentally-challenged poster ever. I hang on your every word! Would you consider that a compliment?

Sorry but I'm going to chafe under that compliment.

Back to Back tournaments and you think we're UCLA of the 60s-70s. Calm your old dirt a$$ down

There is no distinct guidelines for the number of offers. For example (as per Verbal Commits) Xavier had 2 open slots for it 2014 class and made 26 offers (tow of which committed already). The remaining 24 offers are still open according to Verbal Commits.

but what if the staff is having a huge conference call or a serious twitter diddle gootube hangout skype show with every single recruit with an offer and all the recruits count off "1... 2... 3..." and they all commit at the exact same time???

WHAT THE FUOK DO WE DO THEN!?!? that has to be an NCAA violation and rick'll have to go check with sheila or whatever the fuok her name is.

nextyearbill - i really like "old dirt ass". reminds me of ol' danny "bust ass" mcbride in all the real girls...

Ivy League recruits still sign letters of intent, right? I saw a recent article that there were 10 seniors from my alma mater signing letters of intent to play sports and one was a soccer player signing with Brown.

My impression is that the Ivy League process is pretty similar overall and that the equivalent or near-equivalent amount of money that would be needed for a full athletic scholarship can be found if a coach identifies a recruit who can be admitted academically.

From the photo caption:

"SLU's Dwayne Evans (right) tries to steal the ball from Butler's Roosevelt Jones in a Jan. 31 game at Chaifetz Arena. Butler played one year in the Atlantic 10 Conference before leaving for the Atlantic Coast Conference."

"SLU beat VCU and Butler four times, by a total 35 points."

Check your math.

"Only the Big East (eight) and Big 10 (seven) got more teams into the dance and only those leagues won more games than the Atlantic 10’s seven LaSalle threatened to become this year’s Cinderella, winning three games as a play-in team before losing to the Missouri Valley Conference’s Wichita State, which instead emerged as the most unlikely Final Four entry."

I can only guess he's missing some punctuation somewhere in there.

"We pause to reflect, sadly, because we won’t witness such a run again from a conference that formally became diminished Monday when two of its leading programs leaped to the mostly Catholic reincarnation of the Big East, heretical as that may sound."

So the A-10 will never, ever have another team make the Sweet 16. Good to know.

He also says the A-10 is mid-major only 3 times in one article.

And as long as we are pointing out problems with the Strauss article:

"Failing to meet either requirement creates vulnerability, a hard lesson UMass learned after winning nine regular-season A-10 games. It spoke well of a mid-major conference that Butler, Xavier and Temple each gained a berth after winning 11 league games."

Xavier did not "gain a berth" in the 2013 NCAA tournament.

"UMass has not appeared in the ‘‘Big Dance’’ since 1998 and not won a game in it since John Calipari coached the Marcus Camby Minutemen to the 1996 Final Four."

Technically, UMass did not win any NCAA tournament games in 1996 either because their appearance was vacated due to NCAA infractions. Therefore, you would have to go back further to find their last NCAA win (Thanks coach Cal).

From Butler's message board
Nolan Berry, incoming Butler freshman player
“I’m a little bit surprised. His name has been out there for a while, though, so you knew it would always been an option for him to leave.

“He actually called me. We were going to have a team meeting and I couldn’t make it. He said he was sorry to leave. I’m grateful for him recruiting me and having the chance to play for him, even for a couple weeks.

“I don’t really have a plan. I’m coming back on Sunday. I’m just going to take my time and see who they hire and see what happens. I’ll keep my options open.”

Sounds like Nolan was already on campus for a few weeks and probably in school.

Anyone know the exact NCAA rules on these things? My rough understanding was basically that if you signed an LOI and the coach left you had a good chance of being released and playing immediately (Ryan Hollins is a good example) but that once you started school somewhere it would be much harder to leave without sitting out a year.

Sounds like Nolan was already on campus for a few weeks and probably in school.

Anyone know the exact NCAA rules on these things? My rough understanding was basically that if you signed an LOI and the coach left you had a good chance of being released and playing immediately (Ryan Hollins is a good example) but that once you started school somewhere it would be much harder to leave without sitting out a year.

I'm not sure, but I think you only have to sit out a year if you actually play in a game or a scrimmage against another team. I remember seeing an article about the NCAA not allowing some kid another year of eligibility because he played in a close door scrimmage before transferring.