Crews is official 2 PM Presser

brianstl

I am still not comfortable in Crews leading us forward. Nothing I can do about that. Only time will tell.

I also see no other option at this point. What he did in a trying situation is a huge feather in his cap. Winning two National Coach of the Year awards documents that. It took a steady hand, but how much of it was helped by an upperclassman dominated roster? Only time will tell. Given this situation, I can never fully understand what took so

long. And I can never absolve the school for demonstrating just how idiotic they are. It's like sticking a sign between your toes that reads "SLU firing range."

Perception IS reality. Bernie and the rest are raising questions over just what took so long. Who can blame them, we're doing it too.

The press conference timing is piss poor. The business news cycle is Monday through Friday morning. Right now, everyone is in weekend mode. The weekend anchors are coming on. You will have a "dead" news cycle of Friday night through to Monday morning (maybe Sunday night). Sports-wise, you've run smack into the Masters. The chance for cachet is gone. The ability to stand alone and shine from this is gone. The buzz of a amazing season is three weeks in the rear view mirror. Gone.

Anyone wondering why Saint Louis University can't control a no-horse town as the only game of basketball in that town, I give you Larry Basket.

I understand OUR frustration with the delay in naming Crews coach. But put this into perspective and reality - on the STLToday discussion boards there are about 40 posts on SLU basketball since the 23rd of March. 4 of them are specifically about Crews. The participants on this board are fixated on this, but in a city of 2.5 million people, the only daily newspaper gets 4 posts on the Crews subject. By contrast, there is a 17 post thread on Frank Haith on the Mizzou discussion board and he isn't waiting to be named permanent coach.

Yes, the media is finally starting to ask questions, but several on this board are making it out as if this is the subject of dinner conversation at every home in St. Louis. It's not. Not even remotely.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say this but are they doing this precisely because they dont want this to be a news story. For some reason they might not be very proud or happy with this decision. Its funny because its less than an hour away and no tweets from the Athletic Department about "Big News" or any attempt to get people excited.

In general, I think promotions from interim status are lower key announcements. A press conference introducing an outside hire is the first chance to present him to the community, the media, etc. Crews has been the face of the program since late August. He has been doing post-game press conferences, radio call-in shows, and Sunday night sports shows since Majerus took the leave of absence. Thus, it's not as much of an introduction.

That's not to say that with the poor way they've handled this situation, SLU shouldn't try to sneak this in somehow. It would be in their best interest if this went quietly and people forgot about the fact that SLU took almost 3 weeks to promote an interim coach when he was the only candidate.

In general, I think promotions from interim status are lower key announcements. A press conference introducing an outside hire is the first chance to present him to the community, the media, etc. Crews has been the face of the program since late August. He has been doing post-game press conferences, radio call-in shows, and Sunday night sports shows since Majerus took the leave of absence. Thus, it's not as much of an introduction.

That's not to say that with the poor way they've handled this situation, SLU shouldn't try to sneak this in somehow. It would be in their best interest if this went quietly and people forgot about the fact that SLU took almost 3 weeks to promote an interim coach when he was the only candidate.

You De Smet guys and your stupid voice of reason... ;)

Well said, sir.

I totally agree, but the fact that SLU did drag their feet invites a perfectly reasonable question. If they had done it within the first week, it would have been a celebration of an outstanding season and away we go. It would have been a very low key announcement. Instead, you get this. In addition to Strauss' very prominent article in the paper, it was being discussed on 101 and 590 at length today.

my feed stopped right at "this 13-year-old stopped jim crews and asked him for it. and jim gave it to him..." i just started losing it, thinking about jim crews violently beating a youth about the face and shoulders.

Some guy who spoke at Atlas week that was inspired by an encounter with Jim Crews at Notre Dame? I am only half paying attention but I did catch that. Jeff Pendergas maybe?

False. It was Teddy Pendergrass's super-molester buddy, Peddy Tenderass.

Some guy who spoke at Atlas week that was inspired by an encounter with Jim Crews at Notre Dame? I am only half paying attention but I did catch that. Jeff Pendergas maybe?

Yeah, I think that is what he was talking about. I was completely lost, though. It was some weird kind of circular statement that made no sense in the end. Crews is on now...