Crews is official 2 PM Presser

brianstl

No, But to be honest, I don't think they ever really announced the terms of Majerus's contract. It was just reported on later by members of the media, and the terms themselves were actually up for debate. It is assumed to be a 5 year deal per Joe Strauss.

Wasn't sure on protocol. The last coach hiring I was in the city for was Calipari's. They announced everything there.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't sure on protocol. The last coach hiring I was in the city for was Calipari's. They announced everything there.

Wonder if the State U. schools are more likely to announce things like salary because they are public institutions?

Was the length of the contract mentioned at all? I don't think it would be asking too much to give out that information.

Agreed. Also, I heard him mention that all assistant coaches are expected to be back. If it wasn't asked, and it didn't seem like it was, then the media should have followed up with a question about any possible additions to the staff.

You have every major member of the sports media in the room. You are right, no reason to sell the program. Lets just go off the cuff, wing it and be self-depricating. In retrospect, the best part was about Teddy Pendergrass.

Just another Billiken TKO

Wonder if the State U. schools are more likely to announce things like salary because they are public institutions?

If its a public school, they have to release the terms. All it takes is a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request. With that said, not sure how much is released, as many schools count only a portion as salary paid by the school, with the rest covered by endorsements, radio show deals, etc.

Was the length of the contract mentioned at all? I don't think it would be asking too much to give out that information.

I didn't hear it. However, I am one of those who thinks the length of the contract really doesn't mean sh!t. It is basically supposed to show a shared sense of commitment between the coach and school. However, the school can fire the coach anytime they want, and the coach is going to leave for another job if someone comes calling, regardless of the contract length. Seriously, Steve Alford agreed to a 10-year extension with New Mexico days before bolting for UCLA. Other guys have been fired a year or two into a long, multi-year contract. It is all just for show. The coach is around as long as it is mutually beneficial for him and the school, regardless of the current contract length.

Not sure what you are saying. What I am saying is that some got their feathers ruffled when people complained how long this was taking, as it was inappropriate to ask these. Crews pretty much validated that it took long and apologized for it, so those people who think no one should complain about the length of the process were out of line.

Got ya. It is certainly a fair question. It's only unfortunate Biondi didn't have to answer it.

I didn't hear it. However, I am one of those who thinks the length of the contract really doesn't mean sh!t. It is basically supposed to show a shared sense of commitment between the coach and school. However, the school can fire the coach anytime they want, and the coach is going to leave for another job if someone comes calling, regardless of the contract length. Seriously, Steve Alford agreed to a 10-year extension with New Mexico days before bolting for UCLA. Other guys have been fired a year or two into a long, multi-year contract. It is all just for show. The coach is around as long as it is mutually beneficial for him and the school, regardless of the current contract length.

Well, i was asking more for the recruiting aspect of it. You'd like to be able to tell a kid that the school at least has given a coach a certain number of years. I know they can and do leave. I don't see Jim Crews as being some hot new flavor that everyone is gonna be after.

Meaning that making the tournament twice in two years doesn't elevate your status to the point of attracting a bigger name? I assume that was his point..? That is completely fair, but I also think Crews is a very good choice anyway and I am very pleased to have him as our coach.

Bernie was not knocking Crews just that SLU should be glad to have him.

I also don't believe that Crews was the reason for the delay, but he wasn't going to throw his boss under the bus at his press conference. My guess is we won't hear Crews making complaints like Majerus did about stuff like charter flights.

In the very off chance that Crews was the cause for the delay, it might explain why he never left Evansville for a better job when he was going to the NCAAs there. Maybe the interview and contract negotiation process just isn't his thing.

Lol. If you've read any of the Big East message boards, some posters have stressed how big of a deal lacrosse is out East. As if it is a determining factor for membership.

I'm pretty lax on the whole situation.