Gordon has turned on us

Tipsheet: Uncertainty clouds SLU's NCAA run
2013-03-21T08:16:00Z 2013-03-21T08:34:44Z Tipsheet: Uncertainty clouds SLU's NCAA runBy Jeff Gordon [email protected] stltoday.com

Mizzou figures to return to the NCAA Tournament many times under Frank Haith. His impressive recruiting machinery has kept grinding despite staff changes and those nagging Miami allegations.

Illinois appears to be just getting started on first-year coach John Groce. He scored a strong first recruiting while putting his own imprint on the program. Expect Illinois to maintain its national profile on his watch.

However these teams fare in this tournament, their fans can expect more good things for years to come. Both programs appear to be in great shape.

But Saint Louis University faces a far less certain basketball future. The school’s predicament adds even more meaning to this Big Dance appearance.

What form will SLU basketball take after the Rick Majerus Era?

No program in his tournament faces so much uncertainly. When this season’s amazing run concludes, the school must chart its future basketball course.

Coach Jim Crews is finishing up this season on an interim basis. He is in the twilight of his career.

Does he want to stay as coach? Does the school see him as a viable long-range solution?

SLU has enough returning talent to bid for another NCAA bid under Crews, but then what? Does the school need to look outside and try to find its next great coach?

Then there is the large matter of conference affiliation. Despite SLU’s success this season, it was not a top choice to join the new Big East Conference. The “Catholic 7” schools selected Butler, Creighton and Xavier instead.

Maybe SLU will fit into that powerful basketball conference down the road . . . and maybe not. Should SLU stay in the Atlantic 10 and hope for the best?

Of should the school make a more realistic assessment of its athletic situation and join the Missouri Valley Conference?

These are very unsettling times for the SLU faithful, who are still grieving Majerus’ passing while trying to enjoy this glorious basketball season.

Tipsheet’s advice: Block out all those fretful thoughts about SLU’s future and enjoy the moment. You may not anything quite like this again.

Gordon is a hack. He has always been anti-SLU.

He conveniently dismisses "nagging allegations" on Haith. Those aren't nagging Jeff. It is probably one of the biggest pay scandals in the NCAA this side of Michigan. jesus. Fuoking joke.

It's funny, if you was togerboard they think Gordon is pro SLU and hates mizzou.

Nothing in that article was bad except the part about the mvc. That was dumb. Heck, he probably got most of that mvc material by reading the defeatist attitude of many posts on this board.

Uncertainty is a two edged sword. Disaster or opportunity? Evidently, Gordon doesn't have much faith in SLUs management to make the right decisions to move us forward. Despite what he says, there is one thing we've got over Mizzery; JC or any new coach we hire won't be banned by the NCAA. I wonder how he can be so sure Mizzery's prize recruits will stay if Frank stays.

Agreed.

People are just starting to understand the impact that Majerus had and now he is gone. Who will take over?

Our leaders have failed so far, got out sold, out flanked by a lesser team, Creighton, into the cherished BE first 10.

If the BE goes to 12 and we get in soon, then "fine". We'll get a good coach and good recruits, they will want to be in that top 3-4-5 Conference.

BUT if they add 2 teams and we are not one of them, then we are in disarray.

The A-10 gets even worse for SLU, losing Temple, Xavier, Butler, and then if we lose out, maybe Dayton, VCU, who knows? We will be the only team for 1,000 miles in there with Fordham, Duq, RI, GW, Charlotte, St Bonnie, a crappola conference, maybe the 12th, 13th in the land.

Then what? I, myself, am not advocating MVC yet but his point is not out of line.

(Posters who have praised the A-10 Commissioner make me wonder about their IQ. She just lost the cream of the crop teams Temple, Xavier, Butler, maybe SLU, Dayton or VCU later... lousy TV package, lousy refs, etc, no wonder... will the New Big East bring her over? They would be fools.)

Don't defend that fool. That article was dumb. SPUMAC to return to many more tourneys under Haith? They were pretty close to traveling to Robert Morris this year. However, they did nearly upset Norfolk St. last year in the tournament.

I'm not feeling unsettled. This is an exciting time to be a Billiken. We miss our coach a colorful one of a kind and great basketball mind. We will go on and we will continue to win.

I'm All In with the Billikens. If you're not all in then get out of the way Operation Rolling Fury is underway and we will destroy all in the way.

It's funny, if you was togerboard they think Gordon is pro SLU and hates mizzou.

Nothing in that article was bad except the part about the mvc. That was dumb. Heck, he probably got most of that mvc material by reading the defeatist attitude of many posts on this board.

Bang he got it!

Besides the thought of us going to the Valley what exactly can we really take issue with? He is spot-on accurate. You might not like the timing of the article as we begin our tournament run but who on this board can tell me who is going to be the starting 5 in 2014. Forget that, who can tell me who will be the 5th starter next year and or the 6th and 7th guys?

After next year there is a very real chance we slide into the abyss and I hate that it is but it is distracting me during this incredible run. I want this level of success to continue and all signs are pointing the other way at this point. Thats not to say things won't look a lot better in a couple weeks or months but as we sit here today is anyone crazy about our future?

People are just starting to understand the impact that Majerus had and now he is gone. Who will take over?

Our leaders have failed so far, got out sold, out flanked by a lesser team, Creighton, into the cherished BE first 10.

If the BE goes to 12 and we get in soon, then "fine". We'll get a good coach and good recruits, they will want to be in that top 3-4-5 Conference.

BUT if they add 2 teams and we are not one of them, then we are in disarray.

The A-10 gets even worse for SLU, losing Temple, Xavier, Butler, and then if we lose out, maybe Dayton, VCU, who knows? We will be the only team for 1,000 miles in there with Fordham, Duq, RI, GW, Charlotte, St Bonnie, a crappola conference, maybe the 12th, 13th in the land.

Then what? I, myself, am not advocating MVC yet but his point is not out of line.

(Posters who have praised the A-10 Commissioner make me wonder about their IQ. She just lost the cream of the crop teams Temple, Xavier, Butler, maybe SLU, Dayton or VCU later... lousy TV package, lousy refs, etc, no wonder... will the New Big East bring her over? They would be fools.)

Well, as much as I agreed with your prior post, this one has a lot of speculation for which you have criticized others. Out sold? Maybe. Or maybe Creighton had a friend in Marquette that greased the skids for CU. Maybe the combination of CU's exit fee and NCAA units from the MVC was not as prohibitive as ours. Or maybe, CU has a better program to sell right now. Who knows.

As for the A-10 Commish, seems she is doing fairly well for the cards she was dealt. What commissioner was going to keep any of the A-10 top dogs when Fox came waiving at least 7x the cash those teams are currently making? I like the A-10, but it's naive to think the A-10 commissioner was going to prevent the big teams from moving: very little TV support for the A-10, comparatively speaking, a nationally recognized brand in the BE, a network with a boner for getting top flight bball on tv, etc. etc. Think.

Besides the thought of us going to the Valley what exactly can we really take issue with? He is spot-on accurate. You might not like the timing of the article as we begin our tournament run but who on this board can tell me who is going to be the starting 5 in 2014. Forget that, who can tell me who will be the 5th starter next year and or the 6th and 7th guys?

After next year there is a very real chance we slide into the abyss and I hate that it is but it is distracting me during this incredible run. I want this level of success to continue and all signs are pointing the other way at this point. Thats not to say things won't look a lot better in a couple weeks or months but as we sit here today is anyone crazy about our future?

He is making the assumption that we should be "realistic" and join the Valley. There, there little Billikens, have your fun but know your place, to be in a lesser conference, below MU and UI.

BULLSH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I take issue that he is a SPUMAC grad writing for the STLPD. I take issue that he didn't pick SLU to win the National Championship.

You're either with us or against us. All In

take issue that he is a SPUMAC grad writing for the STLPD. I take issue that he didn't pick SLU to win the National Championship.

You're either with us or against us. All In

Jeff Gordon majored in Auto-fell.atio at SPUMAC. I suggest he stick to what he's good at.

side-note: the board ######'s out "fell.atio". what kind of off-the-shelf cockamamie bullsh!t censoring plug-in are we running!?!? what if i were a learned doctor? it's not like i tried to say cu.m-gargling horse titties.

Has anyone else noticed that Jeff Gordon columns are always drafted as a series of questions? No matter if he is writing about SLU, Cards, Rams, etc. "what form will SLU basketball take post-Majerus?" "Can Beltran stay healthy?" "Does Crews want the head coach job?" I mean, does this pass for actual writing in a major newspaper? Every friggin' article he writes is like this. He fills space and gives almost no meaningful content.

Has anyone else noticed that Jeff Gordon columns are always drafted as a series of questions? No matter if he is writing about SLU, Cards, Rams, etc. "what form will SLU basketball take post-Majerus?" "Can Beltran stay healthy?" "Does Crews want the head coach job?" I mean, does this pass for actual writing in a major newspaper? Every friggin' article he writes is like this. He fills space and gives almost no meaningful content.

The true definition of a hack.

The issue here is with the timing not necessarily the content (minus the Valley). We are getting extraordinary national publicity...all positive. And he has to do this $hit now? He is a ****** casserole...and he certainly knew what he was doing by writing this.

She's on her way out. She has a lucrative deal as Claudia on The Americans.

6823125.jpegmargo-martindale_240.jpg

By saying these are unsettling times for the SLU faithful shows what little he knows about being a Billiken fan. He doesn't know what unsettling times are. These are good times and the future looks bright. New arena, new commitment, big time benefactor, national recognition. Let the good times roll.

By saying these are unsettling times for the SLU faithful shows what little he knows about being a Billiken fan. He doesn't know what unsettling times are. These are good times and the future looks bright. New arena, new commitment, big time benefactor, national recognition. Let the good times roll.

+1

Agree, KM, this has to be the best 2 years of Billiken basketball in my tenure following them (Since 68). I think beats out even Highmark/Clags 2 years.

I never seen the program get this much positive press from the national media. Articles from ESPN, SI, Wash Post, NY Times, etc.. Also these Bloomberg pieces.

This year, last year, and we have nice nucleus for next year should keep us rolling.

kshoe, exactly right. we are at crossroads. heck, how many threads and posts have we had on this exact topic since RM died?! next coach?! crews, not crews...

but the mvc comment was nuts. no discussion of that is happening or is likely to. bush.