New Big East Announced 3/20

Taj79

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted the Chicago article without comment because I think it is a good thing for us.

I agree in that multiple presidents seem not just open to 12, but that it would be their preference. The thing I don't like is the indefinite timeline; could be a year, could be a couple years. They don't seem like they're in a rush to reach full capacity.

-didn't the three schools get $100mil to split for a going away present?

+1

It just seems we are missing something about the C7 going from 7 to 10 before going to 12. Fox wants 12. 12 to 16 is/has been the new norm for conferences. Balance schedules, etc. is just talk - justification of the real reasons -- money and control. Just seems like there is a legal reason(s) and/or financial reason(s) as it relates to the C7. Quite possibly, the new BE will require 2/3's votes to approve of new members and that going from 7 to 10 keeps the C7 in control (7 out of 10 super majority v. 7 out of 12 simple majority) even if/when X, BU and CU are added. If the Fox TV is the same per school whether its 10 or 12, then future revenue does not seem to be the hindrance. Prior Big East monies/naming rights/prior NCAA credits of the Big East could be at issue but an uneven split to keep most/all of the money among the C7 (and not share with X, BU and CU) seems to be relatively easy to write into the governing documents of the Big East. And if this can be written in for X, BU and CU, then the same can be written in for SLU and UD as well.

All I can figure is that final resolution with the three (3) remaining football schools must still take place, that the C7 would prefer to wait to resolve these issues before adding X, BU and CU today but cannot (TV package, conference HQs etc must take place now w/o further delay. Quite possibly, the C7 must legally vote to disolve the Big East, form a new confernce by a certain date and then give notice to the Big East and the three (3) remaining football schools of their new conference before final resolution of the old BE can take place. This legal notice might now be possible as of today and that the C7 can then reach final resolution (by virture of having 7 of 10 votes as of today) but that the the C7 would lose such power/leverage if they added two (2) more teams today (SLU and UD).

Again, have I missed the formal announcement but what is the status of the three (3) remaining football schools of the Big East?? Believe they are still members of the Big East and not considered independents. I presume there would not be any exit fees to the C7 if the C7 voted to disolve the Big East. Maybe the C7 will need to compensate these 3 football schools. I understand the C7 does not want to play them in sports next year but are they still members of the Big East v. independents?

Another question: which entity are X, BU and CU joining?? The current BE or a new entity with the naming rights of The Big East??

I posted the tweet and response because I thought it was interesting that Burwell was sticking with his story that SLU is in. Settle the nay sayers down. That is ALL. Wow.

His story is not that SLU is in. It's that a "source with knowledge of the inner-workings of the new conference" says that the network is interested in a twelve-team conference, as early as this year, which would, of course, benefit SLU.

It is not that they will go to twelve teams this year, or next year, or ever.

It is not that SLU is in.

It is nothing but that an anonymous source alleges that the network would like twelve teams.

No matter what happened at the press conference today, Burwell was never going to be wrong.

-didn't the three schools get $100mil to split for a going away present?

Not quite that much, but a lot. There was $100 million dollars in reserves for the schools to split. The C7 schools got $3-5 million a piece and the 3 football schools got $15-20 million a piece. There was $10 million left, and that will go to the schools coming into the new Big East. Below is the article that discusses it:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/05/catholic-7-has-framework-to-keep-big-east-name-msg-as-tourney-site/

Been a long time since I've posted here at billikens.com (so long that I had to get a newish handle).

Really looking forward to the Bills joining the NBE next year. It'll be great to continue coming to St Louis for great weekends of hoops, east side, the hill, etc - and we look forward to Bill fans invading Omaha for steaks, Saddlecreek Records, hanging at the Old Market and more hoops.

Plus - if some of you recall (I'd be really impressed if you did) - my brother worked for Charlie during the Claggs and Highmark years - and I think there's only been one game btw us since (which you beat us (everyone beat us during the Rick Johnson years). So - I'm hoping to win my share of lunch bets with him in the future.

After wandering through a veritable graveyard of conferences - it's great that the Bills will finally have found a great stable home with similar institutions and goals.

Let's get this done!

Been a long time since I've posted here at billikens.com (so long that I had to get a newish handle).

Really looking forward to the Bills joining the NBE next year. It'll be great to continue coming to St Louis for great weekends of hoops, east side, the hill, etc - and we look forward to Bill fans invading Omaha for steaks, Saddlecreek Records, hanging at the Old Market and more hoops.

Plus - if some of you recall (I'd be really impressed if you did) - my brother worked for Charlie during the Claggs and Highmark years - and I think there's only been one game btw us since (which you beat us (everyone beat us during the Rick Johnson years). So - I'm hoping to win my share of lunch bets with him in the future.

After wandering through a veritable graveyard of conferences - it's great that the Bills will finally have found a great stable home with similar institutions and goals.

Let's get this done!

And 3...2...1...

Let's get this done!

uh huh. Where you getting all this?

Let's get this done!

Welcome back, Metz.

This is getting ridiculous...we are slicing,dicing and over-analyzing every single piece of information that comes out on this issue. Playing semantics, arguing over platitudes...let's just chill. It all really boils down to this: NO ONE REALLY KNOWS YET!!!

But for good measure: Fuok Creighton, and fuok Marquette...and while I'm at it, fuok Xavier too...

It seems strange to me that Biondi is in Asia. I understand that there is more to running a university than just athletics, but with the conference craziness going on and the basketball team about to play in the NCAA tournament - arguably the highest profile event of the year for SLU - you'd think he'd want to at least be in the country.

It seems strange to me that Biondi is in Asia. I understand that there is more to running a university than just athletics, but with the conference craziness going on and the basketball team about to play in the NCAA tournament - arguably the highest profile event of the year for SLU - you'd think he'd want to at least be in the country.

He's in Asia trying to get SLU into the New Big EAST.

He was in Japan last year for the dance. I don't think he's ever really got how important athletics is in promoting a university. However, his statues are impressive. And, oh yeah, he did get the Fetz built. Fire him, and hire the CU president, he's obviously well connected. Jees, every time I think of CU getting in ahead of us, assuming we do get in, I want to pop the head off a Blue Jay.

Exactly. That is the key. If we do not get in by then, we are in deep ca-ca.

Well, you can panic, although I don't think its necessary. PC President indicated during the press conference that would be reviewing membership during the middle of next year (I am assuming he meant middle of the next school year, so around Christmas)

Things are fallings exactly the way I heard two months ago. 10 teams to start, including X, Butler and Creighton. Four schools fighting for the last 2 spots. SLU, Dayton, VCU and Richmond. With Georgetown leading the charge, the east coast schools are vehemently against VCU for reasons that have nothing to do with academics.

Well, you can panic, although I don't think its necessary. PC President indicated during the press conference that would be reviewing membership during the middle of next year (I am assuming he meant middle of the next school year, so around Christmas)

Things are fallings exactly the way I heard two months ago. 10 teams to start, including X, Butler and Creighton. Four schools fighting for the last 2 spots. SLU, Dayton, VCU and Richmond. With Georgetown leading the charge, the east coast schools are vehemently against VCU for reasons that have nothing to do with academics.

You misread.

I say, fine, if we get in by July 1st. But if they name 2 others by July 1st and not us, then we are screwed.

I would prefer they name us "in" a few weeks so that we can get the coaching situation clarified and get some quality spring recruits. Of course.

A couple quotes that offer some hope

DePaul Prez Says We're Adding More

"The heart of this is security," DePaul president Father Dennis Holtschneider told the Tribune in a phone interview. "The big deal about this is a secure conference, 10 teams, eventually more, who are going to be together for the next 12 years and hopefully longer."

**The league expects to expand, possibly to 12 teams going forward. Both Dayton and St. Louis have been reported as potential additions. “I think we’ll eventually get to 12, pretty much I know we’ll get to 12,” Father Shanley said. “But whether or not it’s next year add two, next year we add one, we keep a slot open. We go two years. It depends on a lot of other things, so I think we’ll reevaluate in the middle of next year and see if we want to do it for the following year or not.”

I've had this thought for sometime. If SLU and UD left now, along with the others, it would leave the A10 with 10 teams. Maybe there's a reluctance among the Big East leadership to not gut the A10 all at once. I note the well wishes from the A10 today-they could have easily offered the proverbial "no comment". Sure there's other reasons for the staggered league additions but this may make sense.

As an aside, what will the A 10 do? Who wil it add, and if SLU is not in the Big East,who'd we want? Valpo, Belmont. .

Valpo, Belmont, or Witchita State I would think, but do they really want to go more Midwest focused? Besides SLU and UD, the A-10 is really East Coast now. SLU and UD may bolt at any time, does the A-10 really go Midwest or do they look to the East?

If this is the case and the A-10 looks to the East.... SLU is in a world of trouble if we don't get an invite (more so then we think we are now). That is a lot of traveling for our teams.

I've had this thought for sometime. If SLU and UD left now, along with the others, it would leave the A10 with 10 teams. Maybe there's a reluctance among the Big East leadership to not gut the A10 all at once. I note the well wishes from the A10 today-they could have easily offered the proverbial "no comment". Sure there's other reasons for the staggered league additions but this may make sense.

As an aside, what will the A 10 do? Who wil it add, and if SLU is not in the Big East,who'd we want? Valpo, Belmont. .

Other names I've seen include James Madison, Davidson and Indiana State.