New Big East Announced 3/20

Taj79

Not explicitly, but with all the talk of expansion to 12 teams, I was expecting some general comment that would hint at that.

I wasn't. I figured there would be no talk of expansion. This day is all about the 10 and the new 3 teams.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That WAS an answer I think.

Here is how I read Shanley there.

They think the ACC is going to blow up and they want to see how it shakes out. A school like Wake Forest for example might be very desirable if they drop down in football and by waiting a year more schools might be loose and looking for a landing spot. That is the most pessimistic (for slu) interpretation of that I think.

That makes a bit of sense actually...

It would stun me to see Wake Forest drop football.

Well, not so much the football part, but see what other conferences do and see who is willing to do what. For example, if the ACC does blow up, wouldn't you rather have Notre Dame than Dayton or SLU?

Absolutely no mention of potential future expansion. None at all. Should we be worried?

No. There is no reason for them to discuss anything other than the league they have formed and the contract they are signing now. They have done what they have to do, and must now get the league up and running before July.

Let Dayton whimper, I hope SLU says nothing. Biondi, May, Chaifetz are good at that. Work hard to 1) keep the team at top tier level; 2) keep the A-10 competitive, and negotiate a full-coverage deal with CBS and NBC, who should want to step up their basketball coverage to meet the challenge.

If we aren't announced by June 30 I'll panic. They save $1mm in exit costs by doing it by then.

Fair enough.

I'm just tired of this . We've waited years for this and if it doesn't happen now, that's the end of my optimism for our program's future. Our ceiling will have officially been lowered.

It would stun me to see Wake Forest drop football.

They won't drop football to make millions less to join the BE. When the ACC gets raided by the Big Ten, the ACC will add leftover teams like UConn, Cincy and Memphis as replacements.

It's not just going to disappear. There is too much $$$ involved for it. Only one of the ACC and BE we're going to survive as a legit BCS Football conference. The dye is cast and the BE imploded, quicker than anyone could have anticipated.

Question asked about expansion to 12 and about SLU (and Dayton) specifically.

Response: We know we're at 10 for next year. We continue to talk to our partners about various options. We looked at a number of good schools. The landscape continues to morph and we'll continue to look at our options.

That's actually not that bad of an answer for us. I think it means they are still considering expanding to 12 next season or soon. I like that he added "for next year". If everyone was happy at ten they could have said that they were going to be a ten team league unless somehing drastic changes.

i did not expect anything like "slu in now". i did strongly hope/expect slu and dayton will be in next year.

i definitely expected mention that 10 schools is for next year and certain expansion to 12 next and would have accepted no schools named.

this truly sings there is absolutely no deal/promise/expectation of slu being in the big east going forward imo. there is absolutely no reason to be happy about that press release. there is nothing to cling to for the boosters of saint louis university. in fact the coldness towards any schools outside of the ten says exactly opposite.

Fair enough.

I'm just tired of this ######. We've waited years for this and if it doesn't happen now, that's the end of my optimism for our program's future. Our ceiling will have officially been lowered.

It's not the Big East but the A10 still isn't terrible and if Gonzaga can build the program they have in the WCC I don't see why we couldn't build a similar program if need be in the A10. We have the facilities, resources, locaion, and fan base to get it done. I don't think our ceiling will be lowered it will just be a bit harder to reach.

i did not expect anything like "slu in now". i did strongly hope/expect slu and dayton will be in next year.

i definitely expected mention that 10 schools is for next year and certain expansion to 12 next and would have accepted no schools named.

this truly sings there is absolutely no deal/promise/expectation of slu being in the big east going forward imo. there is absolutely no reason to be happy about that press release. there is nothing to cling to for the boosters of saint louis university. in fact the coldness towards any schools outside of the ten says exactly opposite.

Agreed. We could see a return to Sodie level of ball within the next couple seasons. I hate more than anything to say that but that might be the reality we are facing. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Jeez, people, calm down. No doors were closed today. In fact, the answers to the SLU questions at the presser indicate that the new conference is considering, and will continue to consider, expansion. We knew we were not in for 2013. Keep calm and Crews on.

They think the ACC is going to blow up and they want to see how it shakes out. A school like Wake Forest for example might be very desirable if they drop down in football and by waiting a year more schools might be loose and looking for a landing spot. That is the most pessimistic (for slu) interpretation of that I think.

No way is any BCS team going to drop down to the Beast. FB is the 800 lb Cash Cow and I'm sure ACC teams make a lot more than $4m from TV monies. That said, I could see a team like Memphis or maybe even CT lowering their FB expectations and wanting admission to the Beast.

This stuff can't be serious. People expected a press conference to announce the addition of 3 teams plus a major t.v. deal to include certainties about going to 12 and adding SLU?!? Get real folks.

FB is the 800lb Cash Cow. WF is not dropping out of the ACC to play in the Beast plus it's a So. Baptist school that thinks all Catholics are mackerel snapping beer drinking pagans.