Our old buddy Jerry Palm...

...is an absolute idiot...

Surprisingly, however, he still considers Saint Louis U. a bubble team…albeit barely.

“Saint Louis is starting to play itself off the bubble. The one thing they’re lacking is a quality win away from home (road or neutral site),” Palm said.

Doug Vaughn followed up.

“So, they’re not off the bubble yet?”

“Not quite,” Palm said.

One of the reasons for the response that---I think---many locally would find surprising considering the manner with which the Billikens have been beating the hell out of teams over the last month is because Palm doesn’t necessarily consider VCU to be a great win. As a matter of fact, he said VCU is now in trouble.

“VCU is kind of sliding on down to the bubble. They haven’t gotten that big win yet. That Butler game (March 2nd) is really a big game for VCU, because they need that signature win, and Butler could do that for them.”

Go Palm yourself, Jerry.

Regards,

Billikens.com

Everyone has their own definition of a team on the bubble and teams that are "locks", but the reality remains that if we lose 3 of the final 5 and then lose in the first round of the A-10 tourney, we will not be in the NCAA tourney.

I sure don't consider us a lock given this.

Everyone has their own definition of a team on the bubble and teams that are "locks", but the reality remains that if we lose 3 of the final 5 and then lose in the first round of the A-10 tourney, we will not be in the NCAA tourney.

+1 however i just dont see 3 losses in our future. watch the masses turn on crews like crazy if that happens.

Yeah I agree. We have 3 out of the next 5 on the road against Butler, GW, and X. Im expecting to win 2 of those games but wouldnt be shocked if we go winless. Still a lot of work to do.

i have more confidence in tomorrow than i do vs lasalle. lasalle is the game that scares me. there is no preparing for unorganized havoc. take their frenzy, add three horrible refs and who knows what happens. vs butler, i believe stevens will rely on just playing better and being more prepared than he was in st louis. we just have to bring our top defense and we beat butler again.

McKernan actually read an angry anti-Palm tweet from 'Bobby Metzinger' on the air this morning.

re: Palm

He is a special one. If you plotted human intelligence on one axis and nerd factor on the other axis, Jerry Palm would be in the extreme corner of idiot nerds.

All he does is worship RPI, and ignores everything else. He doesn't have any analytical basketball expertise, and doesn't even attempt to understand computer rankings. He just looks at RPI, impressive road/neutral wins (according to RPI), losses outside of the top 100, etc... He doesn't factor in anything else.

The argument is that the committee bases everything on RPI, so Palm's methods are sound. If that were true, Palm wouldn't be so mediocre compared to the elite bracketologists.

Bottom line: The guy is an idiot (listen to this podcast at your own risk) who has made an entire career out of doing months and months of analysis on a flawed and and limited data set, and CBS trots him out there as this lighting rod for Internet angst. Basically he's a troll, but doesn't realize it.

So essentially Palm is saying that SLU has to win @ Butler to be a lock?

If you don't consider destroying Texas A&M (projected RPI 85) on a neutral floor or winning @ Richmond (projected RPI 95) to be quality wins away from home, then certainly GW (132) and Xavier (92) wouldn't qualify either.

He is an idiot.

McKernan actually read an angry anti-Palm tweet from 'Bobby Metzinger' on the air this morning.

re: Palm

He is a special one. If you plotted human intelligence on one axis and nerd factor on the other axis, Jerry Palm would be in the extreme corner of idiot nerds.

All he does is worship RPI, and ignores everything else. He doesn't have any analytical basketball expertise, and doesn't even attempt to understand computer rankings. He just looks at RPI, impressive road/neutral wins (according to RPI), losses outside of the top 100, etc... He doesn't factor in anything else.

The argument is that the committee bases everything on RPI, so Palm's methods are sound. If that were true, Palm wouldn't be so mediocre compared to the elite bracketologists.

Bottom line: The guy is an idiot (listen to this podcast at your own risk) who has made an entire career out of doing months and months of analysis on a flawed and and limited data set, and CBS trots him out there as this lighting rod for Internet angst. Basically he's a troll, but doesn't realize it.

Seems like a long Tweet.

So essentially Palm is saying that SLU has to win @ Butler to be a lock?

Just think how stupid you would sound trying to discuss college basketball if you never watched a game and merely relied on a simple rating system that treats a 1 point double OT win the same as a 30 point win.

Last year around this time Palm was saying SLU (RPI 22 a year ago today) was on the bubble because didn't have any impressive wins.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Duff Man" data-cid="344932" data-time="1361461237"><p>

McKernan actually read an angry anti-Palm tweet from 'Bobby Metzinger' on the air this morning.<br />

<br />

re: Palm<br />

<br />

He is a special one. If you plotted human intelligence on one axis and nerd factor on the other axis, Jerry Palm would be in the extreme corner of idiot nerds.<br />

<br />

All he does is worship RPI, and ignores everything else. He doesn't have any analytical basketball expertise, and doesn't even attempt to understand computer rankings. He just looks at RPI, impressive road/neutral wins (according to RPI), losses outside of the top 100, etc... He doesn't factor in anything else.<br />

<br />

The argument is that the committee bases everything on RPI, so Palm's methods are sound. If that were true, Palm wouldn't be so <a href='http://bracketproject.50webs.com/rankings.html'>mediocre</a> compared to the elite bracketologists.<br />

<br />

Bottom line: The guy is an idiot (<a href='http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21709459/podcast-jerry-palm-gabs-bubble-and-unprecedented-bracket-volatility'>listen to this podcast at your own risk</a>) who has made an entire career out of doing months and months of analysis on a flawed and and limited data set, and CBS trots him out there as this lighting rod for Internet angst. Basically he's a troll, but doesn't realize it.</p></blockquote>

This was my tweet; @bobbymetzinger: @tmckernan @insidestl I've never read so much bull**** in my life. The Billikens are not a bubble team. This guy is a phony. #GoBills

that was my anti-Palm rant, I just mentioned the McKernan radio Metz plug as an aside

You can listen to the McKernan audio here (segment 4, 4:00 mark)

Got it. Palm doesn't know what he's talking about. He was way off last year and he's way off this year.