ROLL CALL FOR BUTLER

RiseAndGrind

I'll be there. Picking up the gf in Effingham on the way. Balcony section 32 row KKK.

I was told to try and find parking minimum an hour and half before game time. You can park in residential area just south of arena.

I chose against staying downtown. I'm up north at Keystone Crossings. Shorter drive and less traffic than downtown.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday night bash at the Knights Inn-Indianapolis?

If you stay at the old Ramada on the west side of Indy on US40/Washington St. that is the same motel the actors who played the Hickory Huskers team stayed at while making the movie in 1985. I do think it was remodeled since then. Since they were on a "measly" $6 million budget for the movie they didn't get the "minor" actors a fancy place. Only Gene Hackman, Barbara Hershey and Dennis Hopper stayed at a fancy hotel in downtown Indy.

Also when you walk into Hinkle Fieldhouse for the first time imagine you're measuring the baskets and Coach Dale telling you "you'll find they are the same measurements as our gym in Hickory"

Also remember when looking at the basket towards the west side of the building, that is the basket that Bobby Plump hit his famous shot. It's also the same spot that Jimmy Chitwood, actor Maris Valainis, hit his first try at making the famous shot in 1985 for the movie. "I'll make it." And he did! On the first try. Now that is acting. I bet Gene Hackman's shake of his head was a genuine reaction to the shot going in on the first try.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you have any suggestions for parking? We're staying at the Hilton Garden Inn, which according to Google, is about 6 miles south of the stadium.

Also, is SLU hosting a formal pre-game meet up, or is everyone just heading to Average Joe's?

Also also, is it fair to presume they don't sell $2 pre-game beers?

You're actually staying in my neighborhood on the south side. It's actually closer to downtown than the north side but Butler's campus is 5 miles north of downtown. It's not nearly as ritzy as the north side but the south side people are much friendlier. Ok, in my view they are.

Take County Line Rd back out to I-65 and head north. Once you go around downtown, you'll see Lucas Oil Stadium to the left and on the south end of downtown, look for the Butler campus exit at 29th/30th Street exit. Go east on 29th Street (one way street so stay in left lane). Go to Meridian Street and turn left. You'll go by the Indpls Children's Museum immediately at 30th Street & Meridian. Go 2 more miles to 49th Street and turn left at the light. Go 5 blocks and you'll see Hinkle Fieldhouse on the right.

I believe, and this is only my opinion, the best place to park in the Butler/Tarkington neighborhood is on Boulevard which is the last street before you see the parking lot for Hinkle. Turn right or north and park as soon as you see an opening.

any bars within walking distance of the Butler campus?

All the bars near Butler's campus are up in the Broad Ripple neighborhood, Dave Letterman grew up in that neighborhood, where Average Joe's is located. The Colts' punter, a young Pat McAfee, once got drunk and jumped into the canal that runs through the Broad Ripple neighborhood. He was a rookie the year before so he was young with lots of youthful enthusiasm.

Go east out to Meridian and turn left at the light. Go past 57th Street to Westfield Blvd and make a slight right turn (45 degree right turn). Westfield Blvd will become Broad Ripple Ave in the Broad Ripple neighborhood as the street curves from going northeast to the east. Average Joe's is on the left.

It's too far to walk.

I'll be getting there about 6. Leaving Cincy at 4. Will be driving like a madman and hopefully not running into too much rush hour traffic on 465.

Most of the bad rush hour traffic is in the north east corner of I-465 and I-69 which heads northeast towards Anderson/Muncie/Fort Wayne. Although it can get pretty heavy around I-65 and I-465 on the south side too. Unless there is an accident the traffic pretty well keeps moving but it can sometimes be heavy and slow. If you take I-74 from Cincy and then take I-465 north to I-70 west towards downtown to I-65 north to the Butler exit at 29th/30th Street. Go east on 29th Street to Meridian & turn left. (29th Street is one way so stay in the left lane) Go 2 miles north on Meridian Street to the light on 49th Street and turn left. Hinkle Fieldhouse will be on the right. Parking is in the neighborhood around the campus.

It takes me about 2 hours from the south side of Indy to Great American Ball Park in Cincy.

If I had to guess, I'd say we'll probably be rolling into Indy around 4:30 or so.

See the link I posted for the location of the pregame festivities - the bar is in Broad Ripple, a couple miles from Hinkle.

Since Indy is on eastern time is that 5:30 p.m. EST? If you're arriving 1 1/2 hours before game time (7:00 p.m.) I would go directly to Hinkle and find a parking spot.

All the bars near Butler's campus are up in the Broad Ripple neighborhood, Dave Letterman grew up in that neighborhood, where Average Joe's is located. The Colts' punter, a young Pat McAfee, once got drunk and jumped into the canal that runs through the Broad Ripple neighborhood. He was a rookie the year before so he was young with lots of youthful enthusiasm.

Go east out to Meridian and turn left at the light. Go past 57th Street to Westfield Blvd and make a slight right turn (45 degree right turn). Westfield Blvd will become Broad Ripple Ave in the Broad Ripple neighborhood as the street curves from going northeast to the east. Average Joe's is on the left.

It's too far to walk.

I was afraid of that. looking like its gonna be a sober trip unfortunately

You're actually staying in my neighborhood on the south side. It's actually closer to downtown than the north side but Butler's campus is 5 miles north of downtown. It's not nearly as ritzy as the north side but the south side people are much friendlier. Ok, in my view they are.

Take County Line Rd back out to I-65 and head north. Once you go around downtown, you'll see Lucas Oil Stadium to the left and on the south end of downtown, look for the Butler campus exit at 29th/30th Street exit. Go east on 29th Street (one way street so stay in left lane). Go to Meridian Street and turn left. You'll go by the Indpls Children's Museum immediately at 30th Street & Meridian. Go 2 more miles to 49th Street and turn left at the light. Go 5 blocks and you'll see Hinkle Fieldhouse on the right.

I believe, and this is only my opinion, the best place to park in the Butler/Tarkington neighborhood is on Boulevard which is the last street before you see the parking lot for Hinkle. Turn right or north and park as soon as you see an opening.

Thanks - this helps immensely. I've never been to Indy and have no idea where anything is / not sure how early we can get to there b/c of sneaking out of work and impending snow.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="kshoe" data-cid="344899" data-time="1361456760"><p>

I assume Hinkle doesn't serve beer?</p></blockquote>

Bunch of bull****

is there an NCAA policy on this? i know some football schools have started bringing beer back to games but I always heard that there was an NCAA policy stating that your stadium's events had to be at least 50/50 non-NCAA/NCAA to serve beer but i'm not sure if that's actually true

There is no NCAA policy on it. The only NCAA policy is no booze during the championship events. You can have booze at any stadium in the country, provided there is no local government regulation.

SLU could set up a kegerator at the baseball field and sell beer all game long if they wanted to.

There is no NCAA policy on it. The only NCAA policy is no booze during the championship events. You can have booze at any stadium in the country, provided there is no local government regulation.

SLU could set up a kegerator at the baseball field and sell beer all game long if they wanted to.

thanks. They do actually sell beer at the baseball games but in the can variety i think

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="kshoe" data-cid="344899" data-time="1361456760"><p>

I assume Hinkle doesn't serve beer?</p></blockquote>

Bunch of bull****

this is bull****. booze contributes to the bottom line and the homecourt advantage.

Most of the bad rush hour traffic is in the north east corner of I-465 and I-69 which heads northeast towards Anderson/Muncie/Fort Wayne. Although it can get pretty heavy around I-65 and I-465 on the south side too. Unless there is an accident the traffic pretty well keeps moving but it can sometimes be heavy and slow. If you take I-74 from Cincy and then take I-465 north to I-70 west towards downtown to I-65 north to the Butler exit at 29th/30th Street. Go east on 29th Street to Meridian & turn left. (29th Street is one way so stay in the left lane) Go 2 miles north on Meridian Street to the light on 49th Street and turn left. Hinkle Fieldhouse will be on the right. Parking is in the neighborhood around the campus.

It takes me about 2 hours from the south side of Indy to Great American Ball Park in Cincy.

Google Maps is telling me to take 465 north from 74 and get off at 56th and use Kessler to get over to Broad Ripple. 70W to Meridian is better in rush hour?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Pistol" data-cid="344939" data-time="1361462026"><p>

I can't find anything about beer at Hinkle one way or the other, so I'm assuming they don't serve it. It's been a few years since I saw a game there and honestly can't remember.</p></blockquote>

No beer. We're going to have to load up at Average Joes