Timeouts by Crews

Fansince59

I think Jim Crews has done a great job this year. Defense still the way RM taught it so well. But the team seems looser on offense, not afraid to make mistakes like it seemed they were under Rick, and Jim lets our athletes fly around more. As a relatively small concern to me, though, is Crews' seeming inability to recognzie when a timeout is in order. Last night, with half the second half gone, we got befuddled, unorganized and frazzled during a late rally by Charlotte. Guys in our section keeping saying, let's take a time out. Crews just stood there until Charlotte got within five. I have noticed this refusal to call time out all year, and I recall others commenting on this. Majeurus always sensed when one was needed. What is the reason Crews doesn't want to take a 30 second timeout, just to collect the guys and re-focus when things are awry? Hope this doesn't bite us in the butt against a tough defense like VCU's. Not going nuts over this, just an observation about a guy for whom I otherwise have a lot of respect.

Phil Jackson was notorious for not calling timeouts and letting his team work through issues because he already instructed them on what to do. Maybe Coach Crews has a similar philosophy.

I think there are too many timeouts. You start with five but lose one if you don't use it before half. You can only carry four into the second half. Plus, there are the auto timeouts at the first stoppage under 16, 12, 8 and 4 for TV. That's 18 stops possible per game. Show me any game that doesn't employ this, TV or not. In the ND/Louisville five-OT game, each team got two more timeouts per OT session. Takes for freaking ever but also allows for the team to disrupt timing and rhythm as Charlotte tried last night.

I agree with those believing Crews doesn't use timeouts well. However, if that's his only failing, I'm okay with that. A veteran team is a good thing to have. I suspect he might use more if he didn't have faith in the guys. Plus, winning cures everything. If this is all we got to b*tch about, I'm okay with it.

Phil Jackson was notorious for not calling timeouts and letting his team work through issues because he already instructed them on what to do. Maybe Coach Crews has a similar philosophy.

abomb, there is a big difference between letting michael jordan, scottie pippen and dennis rodman work through issues and college students.

last night, when loe fouled out and the final run hadnt started yet by the billikens and charlotte was still very much in the game, why not use that minute to announce your sub to have a word with your team. no impromtu free T.O. i can understand saving them, but when you get a free one you have to use or lose, my gosh, go out and calm your players.

why wasnt mccall on the floor at the end of the game? the at the very least the second best free throw shooter, at the very least the second best ball handler, at the very least the second best on the ball defender. loe fouls out we put in jake? jake had a great shooting game and once again did a nice job rebounding. but at that point in the game we were obviously going to play the shot clock and hold the ball. rebounding and 3 point shooting were not going to be the big focus.

hey maybe mike was hurt. who knows. and obviously charlotte p!ssed their pants enough the last three minutes to not matter a bit.

Crews' strategies are hard to question when he keeps winning and by large margins. Give it a rest

last night, when loe fouled out and the final run hadnt started yet by the billikens and charlotte was still very much in the game, why not use that minute to announce your sub to have a word with your team. no impromtu free T.O. i can understand saving them, but when you get a free one you have to use or lose, my gosh, go out and calm your players.

Crews' strategies are hard to question when he keeps winning and by large margins. Give it a rest

from my viewpoint, it seems "crews' strategies" amounts to staying out of the way and not messing with a well educated rickma team. and you are correct, for that i give him credit.

If that's all his strategy is, then he deserves credit. Something is working. As long as we win I'm happy, why don't you try to enjoy the ride.

from my viewpoint, it seems "crews' strategies" amounts to staying out of the way and not messing with a well educated rickma team. and you are correct, for that i give him credit.

You have no clue what Crews does or doesn't do. I trust that people much closer to the program then you or I are well aware of what Crews is doing or not, and will take action one way or the other at the end of the season. Let it rest. We are winning by huge numbers at the moment. Hell, we could win the National Championship, and some people on this board would STILL find fault with Crews and RM.

JC played for Bobby Knight, who rarely called a timeout. I guess if you consider yourself well-prepared for a game you ought to be able to work through most situations. Of course that was back in the time when there weren't so many tv timeouts. Knight was also stubborn enough not to want to show any weakness. On the whole I'm ok with the way JC has handled timeouts.

You have no clue what Crews does or doesn't do. I trust that people much closer to the program then you or I are well aware of what Crews is doing or not, and will take action one way or the other at the end of the season. Let it rest. We are winning by huge numbers at the moment. Hell, we could win the National Championship, and some people on this board would STILL find fault with Crews and RM.

If Crews can't recruit, you're right. I don't want him even if we win a national championship. He has proven to be a more than adequate game coach.....

As a relatively small concern to me, though, is Crews' seeming inability to recognize when a timeout is in order. Last night, with half the second half gone, we got befuddled, unorganized and frazzled during a late rally by Charlotte. Guys in our section keeping saying, let's take a time out. Crews just stood there until Charlotte got within five.

Crews called a timeout when the lead got to 9.

10:19 40-56 Cody Ellis made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Jordair Jett. 10:00 Foul on Pierria Henry 40-56 10:00 Pierria Henry Turnover. 40-56 9:26 Foul on Ivan Benkovic 40-56 9:26 40-56 Jake Barnett missed Free Throw. 9:26 40-56 Jake Barnett missed Free Throw. 9:26 40-56 Cory Remekun Offensive Rebound. 9:20 40-56 Cody Ellis missed Three Point Jumper. 9:20 Charlotte Defensive Rebound. 40-56 9:07 Willie Clayton made Layup. Assisted by E. Victor Nickerson. 42-56 9:07 42-56 Foul on Cory Remekun 9:07 Willie Clayton made Free Throw. 43-56 8:49 43-56 Jordair Jett missed Layup. 8:49 Darion Clark Defensive Rebound. 43-56 8:39 43-56 Foul on Jordair Jett 8:39 Terrence Williams missed Free Throw. 43-56 8:39 Willie Clayton Offensive Rebound. 43-56 8:37 Willie Clayton made Layup. 45-56 8:12 45-56 Foul on Kwamain Mitchell 8:12 45-56 Kwamain Mitchell Turnover. 8:05 Pierria Henry made Dunk. 47-56 8:00 Saint Louis Full Timeout. 7:49 Foul on Pierria Henry 47-56 7:49 Official TV Timeout. 7:49 47-56 Cory Remekun missed Free Throw. 7:49 Willie Clayton Defensive Rebound. 47-56 7:29 E. Victor Nickerson made Jumper. Assisted by Darion Clark. 49-56 7:04 49-56 Cory Remekun missed Layup. 7:04 Charlotte Defensive Rebound. 49-56 6:54 Pierria Henry missed Jumper. 49-56 6:54 Willie Clayton Offensive Rebound. 49-56 6:52 49-56 Foul on Cory Remekun 6:52 Willie Clayton missed Free Throw. 49-56 6:52 Willie Clayton made Free Throw. 50-56 6:24 50-56 Jordair Jett missed Jumper. 6:24 50-56 Dwayne Evans Offensive Rebound. 6:22 50-56 Dwayne Evans missed Layup. 6:22 Terrence Williams Block. 50-56 6:20 Pierria Henry Defensive Rebound. 50-56 6:20 50-56 Foul on Kwamain Mitchell 6:20 Pierria Henry missed Free Throw. 50-56 6:20 Pierria Henry made Free Throw. 51-56 6:01 51-58 Dwayne Evans made Jumper. Assisted by Cody Ellis.

The General and the Zen Master were brought up. Knight coached in practice, where he could be himself. A Indiana fan I know joked about the Knight School show on ESPN as being 1% of the real Knight. Of course, he had plenty of venom left for players during games, but spread it around to refs and the media as well.

Jackson was also reputed to be great at working the refs to his team's benefit. There were the infamous Jordan Rules, but there's always been grumbling about stars getting calls.

Crews is doing fine with the team he has. Majerus the tactitian may be missed at some point, maybe the postseason with lesser known teams that have crazy defenses and randomly shoot the lights out. But I'll say I would like the Bills to get another shot at Kansas with KM back.

i think that rule has changed and you no longer get a minute to make your substitution. You are supposed to get a player in promptly

Throughout that time I noticed Crews and the coaching staff discussing who to put in the game. I guess they decided on Jake based on his ability to rebound and the fact that he is usually a very good free throw shooter. Missed 3 free throws last night. Had only missed 2 in his SLU career.

It is funny when we were losing we said he was an idiot or unmotivated when not callign timeouts, now in winning there is logic behind everything he is doing (or not).

Call a d$%n timeout.

I was discussing Missouri's plight this year - no road wins - with my son and I reminded him that last year I thought Haith was getting to much of a pass just because they were winning. I also told him that the real question is - is the coaching of Haith this year the real Haith or was it last year. Looking at his record at Miami would lead me to believe that this year is more him then last year. My point is Crews coaching should be examined regardless of the record - he either coaches well or not - wins are not the only measure. If he is struggling with technique now he will struggle later when it might count more. As always, the question of recruiting is the key and still weighs heavy for me.

Obviously recruiting at SLU is a question that we don't have an answer for but I don't see how anyone can be critical of the job Crews has done with this team. We currently are playing as we'll as any SLU team has ever played. While he didn't seem engaged early on that is no longer an issue. His use of Grandy and Jake in my opinion has been brilliant. I think his substitution patterns have been very good. He even yelled at the refs last night. Team chemistry appears fantastic. Should he be rehired? I don't know but I don't see how he can be faulted for the job he's done.

As has been pointed out before, that rule now allows a coach 30 seconds to make a substitution for a fouled out player. And some coaches do use it as a short time out. Not arguing with you, but he does not have a minute.