Timeouts by Crews

Fansince59

Obviously recruiting at SLU is a question that we don't have an answer for but I don't see how anyone can be critical of the job Crews has done with this team. We currently are playing as we'll as any SLU team has ever played. While he didn't seem engaged early on that is no longer an issue. His use of Grandy and Jake in my opinion has been brilliant. I think his substitution patterns have been very good. He even yelled at the refs last night. Team chemistry appears fantastic. Should he be rehired? I don't know but I don't see how he can be faulted for the job he's done.

Look, it OK to be critical of anything anybody does regardless of how they are doing overall. No body is calling Crews the worse coach since Corky the Clown. All I am saying is that just because a coach is winning does not mean that he may be lucky in some cases and succeeding in spite of himself. I do agree that his use of Barnett and Grandy has been good but what has happened to CR - now I am not surprised that CR is not playing like he was earlier in the year - but because CR is not playing that great should Crews not get the blame for poor use of him? You can point to good things he is doing but that does not mean that there are not technical shortcomings in his coaching. I have respect for what he has done this year but after all he has a veteran team that basically requires not messing with them too much - see my comment earlier about Haith - he had a veteran squad last year and he only had to not mess with them but right now his team is not doing very well - they win one and lose one, dropped out of the top 25 and are in the middle of the pack in the SEC. This to could happen to Crews next year - who knows for sure but errors being made today will still be made next year and could result in a different outcome. I want my coach to be technically sound in his coaching and to have a recruiting track record.

Majerus always used his timeouts. You only get them for one game so why not use them all if you need them.

I'm not worried about Crews calling timeouts. I'm worried if he has anything to say on the ones he does call.

I don't get too hung up on the timeout thing, but in this upcoming game, I think it would be a good idea to use all of them. Against a team like VCU, the timeouts would be good to get us a little rest throughout the game, so we are fresh at the end.