VCU's Havoc Defense

moytoy12

An detailed look at VCU's havoc defense: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130211/vcu-press/?sct=uk_t11_a5

The press they run scares the crap out of me, even though we have very good guards and a number of people that can handle the ball. Let's hope that Crews gets them well prepared to handle this.

And at least Kwamain, Cody and Cory have all seen it before in the CBI a few years ago.

"Unmatched" havoc defense? They're 40th on Kenpom in defensive efficiency. They're really nothing special.

And first in turnover percentage. Again, some teams are just bad matchups; I believe this is one of those. Even if the press doesn't create a turnover, it will delay our offensive sets by 5-10 seconds. I think the style VCU plays could be one of the best in getting SLU out of its rhythm.

I notice that we usually have a big (usually CE or RL) in the center of the court to take the pass against the pressure and dribble up court (RM did this last year with Conk). I saw enough of Grandy trying to do this against Richmond to make me think he's going to have a tough time. It will be interesting to see how Crews utilizes GG against VCU.

Not worried. Our guards are studs. I see Cory Remekun getting 2-3 press breaker handoff dunks off of this "Havoc" sh!t. Anyone can name their defense. I'm going to call SLU's defense SPOGWAD. Sh!t Pants Oh God Wash Ass Defense.

Oh. And I don't know if I'd brag about this footage as a perfectly sprung trap. Looks like back to back NO DOUBT FOULS right in front of TWO officials. If I'm the guy that got molested on that play, I get thrown out of the game, trying to fight everyone on that side of the floor. WTF.

130211.04.gif

I feel as if I've seen VCU enough this year to understand their mentality ..... I think, much like every other college basketball team in the nation, they are short on traditional skills. They don't shoot particularly well for my liking so the best thing for them to do is make up for that with layups. A two-foot shot is obviously easier than a 19-foot shot. And I think Shaka knows this. La Salle defeated VCU handily in Richmond because not only did they beat the full court pressure, they attacked the rim once they beat it. If you don't do that, you are allowing Havoc to reload and come at you a second time on one possession. Pete Gillen has pointed out how VCU will clutch and grab and scrape you if the refs don't enforce things. This adds to Havoc in that it distracts you and makes you focus on the refs instead of the ball. Their offense is comes off their defense and but their set offense is designed for layups as well -- there is one play I've seen at least three times where the centerman throws a no-look pass OVER HIS HEAD AND BEHIND HIM to a cutter. It's worked all three times. And when the defense helps and slides over to the cutter/dribbler, Reddic makes his living crashing the boards.

Richmond beat VCU at Robbins by fouling and forcing VCU to make free throws. They did not, another example of their skill set being somewhat short. What does not bode well for me is our innate ability to make some 6'8" power forward into an offensive juggernaut. Gentlemen -- I give you Juvonte Reddic.

St. Joe's took VCU to OT before losing in Richmond. St. Joe's is a six-man team and played that game without thug Halil Kanasevic. Every one of SJU's starters palyed at least 35 minutes. And none fouled out. We're better than that.

Havoc is designed or at least played out where the double team comes form the dribbler's back side when he turns his back on the derfense. La Salle beat it with the third or fourth guard (Galloway, Duren, Mills, Garland) getting the ball in the center of the court, and then essentially running a man-advantage break in the half court at the defenders. You hurt yourself reloading and letting Havoc recoup. La salle's fifth man was Steve Zack .. who's real name should be Hack. And they did well. I don't see this game much of a place for Loe and/or Manning. We shall see.

Again, whomever imposes their will and style of play will win out here.

Oh. And I don't know if I'd brag about this footage as a perfectly sprung trap. Looks like back to back NO DOUBT FOULS right in front of TWO officials. If I'm the guy that got molested on that play, I get thrown out of the game, trying to fight everyone on that side of the floor. WTF.

130211.04.gif

Agreed.

I have been pleasantly surprised with how well we have broken presses this year. I feel like I can count the number of times we have turned the ball over due to a press on one hand. Could be wrong but...our performance against the press is a ton better than 2-3 years ago.

1) Break VCU's press easily 3-4 straight possessions.

2) Shaka shits his pants, and the rams stop pressing.

3) SLU wins by 15.

A detailed look at VCU's havoc defense: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130211/vcu-press/?sct=uk_t11_a5

The press they run scares the crap out of me, even though we have very good guards and a number of people that can handle the ball. Let's hope that Crews gets them well prepared to handle this.

Havoc Defense? Sounds g*y.

There's still another good team we have to take care of before then fellas...

Agreed completely. Are we all forgetting about Charlotte?

One step at a time folks, if we get ahead of ourselves and forget about Saturday, we could be in trouble. A loss to Charlotte would really outweigh a win over VCU. Just saying.

Reminds me of a story I read about Majerus and the 98 Utah team.

Playing in the Final Four against UNC and all anyone could talk about was how fast UNC was and how they turn you over a ton and score 100 points a game. Majerus told the team something like this before the game. "They're fast, but we have the fastest player on the court (Andre Miller). We're gonna play suffocating defense and UNC will miss their first couple shots, we'll then immediately throw it to Andre who will race up the court for an easy shot. Then UNC will go play a zone and we'll shoot over them all night."

Game starts, UNC misses their first couple shots, leading to transition baskets for Andre Miller. UNC then goes into a zone and Utah opens up a double digit halftime lead and wins to go to the National Championship.

Yeah they place a fast, tough defense. Our defense is better. Pretty simple.

Just beat Charlotte first.

Reminds me of a story I read about Majerus and the 98 Utah team.

Playing in the Final Four against UNC and all anyone could talk about was how fast UNC was and how they turn you over a ton and score 100 points a game. Majerus told the team something like this before the game. "They're fast, but we have the fastest player on the court (Andre Miller). We're gonna play suffocating defense and UNC will miss their first couple shots, we'll then immediately throw it to Andre who will race up the court for an easy shot. Then UNC will go play a zone and we'll shoot over them all night."

Game starts, UNC misses their first couple shots, leading to transition baskets for Andre Miller. UNC then goes into a zone and Utah opens up a double digit halftime lead and wins to go to the National Championship.

How have I not seen this before? Maybe the most badass quote ever by a college basketball coach.

Havoc?!?

They should call their defense "grab, hold, foul and hope the officials let it go."

If the officials would call the game the right way VCU would be a medicore team.

The problem is that thw officials dont want to make it a 3 hour game by calling all the VCU fouls so they just let it go.

Havoc?!?

They should call their defense "grab, hold, foul and hope the officials let it go."

If the officials would call the game the right way VCU would be a medicore team.

The problem is that thw officials dont want to make it a 3 hour game by calling all the VCU fouls so they just let it go.

+10000

Havoc?!?

unfortunately that is what all labeled good defense has pretty much become these days. i hate it. i wish they would call fouls if the defense looked wrong at the offensive player.

i agree intially it would create problems and long games and a lot of foulouts, but coaches would adjust and once they did, the pure athletes would dominate the game. the game would be better than any of us can even imagine by getting rid of the psuedo football/rugby players that so many teams now deem necessary.

unfortunately that is what all labeled good defense has pretty much become these days. i hate it. i wish they would call fouls if the defense looked wrong at the offensive player.

i agree intially it would create problems and long games and a lot of foulouts, but coaches would adjust and once they did, the pure athletes would dominate the game. the game would be better than any of us can even imagine by getting rid of the psuedo football/rugby players that so many teams now deem necessary.

Jay Bilas was talking about this on PTI the other day. Basically made the same point you are. He also pointed out that the increased number of charges called, leading to offensive fouls, is really hurting the game. Can't say that I disagree with him on that point (regardless of how good Cody is at taking charges.)