Barnett vs. Cassity

ACE

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Barnett and Glaze for that matter allow us to play agressively all game. We survived a foul fest at Richmond because we could get decent minutes out of Manning, Barnett and Glaze allows us fifteen more fouls per game. Barnett actually makes some nice passes on the offensive end, and he reall rebounds well.

They're both kids that filled a specific role on their teams.

I like the Southern Illinois kids as well. That said, both guys are going to be contributors to good teams.

Yep, it is an interesting comparison. Both good kids, good students that seem to put team first. I like seeing Crews go with the 10-man rotation. Everybody stays fresh and is in on the action.

maybe it is more a statement on what i see as a mistreatment of that type of kid by posters on this messageboard. i recall defending the attacks on drew diener the same way. but drew in no way is an all time favorite either. i just didnt think the personal attacks and insinuations were fair.

The attacks on Diener must have been before my time posting here, so I can't comment on that.

But I'm not sure what the rest of your statement means.

For what it's worth, the players that have been ripped on the most this year have been Manning, Remekun, and Loe; I don't see you sticking up for them with any regularity.

And "personal attacks and insinuations" - come on, don't be so sensitive.

Yep, it is an interesting comparison. Both good kids, good students that seem to put team first. I like seeing Crews go with the 10-man rotation. Everybody stays fresh and is in on the action.

THIS!

It's something I've never seen in Billiken history (admittedly I don't recall how many deep Grawer's early teams played, and prior to that is way before my time......

If you are limited in talent, high in character, mostly white, often from Southern Illinois, and someone says boo to you on the board Roy will be your avenging angel and godfather.......

If only Ian were from Okawville instead of Greece, roy would have been a fan instead of a critic. ;)

I think a lot of the angst had to do with KC being a starter or one of the first 2 off the bench. JB has pretty consistently been the 8th/9th man in the rotation. If KC were the 3rd or 4th guy off the bench, I'm guessing he wouldn't have received as much negativity as he did.

+1

The attacks on Diener must have been before my time posting here, so I can't comment on that.

For what it's worth, the players that have been ripped on the most this year have been Manning, Remekun, and Loe; I don't see you sticking up for them with any regularity.

He was mostly attacked for cankles and his grand mother's horrifying haircuts........and his defense........and the fact that he wasn't Travis.....

not personal attacks and insinuations on me. the players in question.

as to manning, remekun and loe, i have not been a fan of their play, and i dont recall the attacks being personal like they got on cassity or deiner. so not sure what i am supposed to defend.

as to manning, remekun and loe, i have not been a fan of their play, and i dont recall the attacks being personal like they got on cassity or deiner. so not sure what i am supposed to defend.

I don't really see anyone ripping Manning - I think most people understand that he's a typical big man project and is better than past bigs like Ian and Heinrich were at similar stages in their careers. I like him - he'll be fine.

By the way did Drew redshirt?

Yes he did.

Actually his senior year was not bad. He was pretty good 3pt sniper. Unfortunately we got the wrong Diener, his younger brother and cousin (especially him) were much better.

I always got the feeling, Sodie, seeing Drew's progress, got afraid with Drew's brother and did not recruit him. He had a pretty good 4 years at DePaul.

roy, what "personal attacks" were made against Cassity? If there were any, I think I would have remembered because it would have pissed me off. I just don't see many of the criticisms of the players on here being "personal."

roy, what "personal attacks" were made against Cassity? If there were any, I think I would have remembered because it would have pissed me off. I just don't see many of the criticisms of the players on here being "personal."

I am pretty sure that if one wanted to, somebody could find a number of posts made about Cassity that could be defined as 'personal attacks'. However, on the other hand, one could also look at Roy's criticisms of Glaze and Manning these past two seasons and say that they were 'personal attacks' against the players. Basically, it is all how one wants to define what is personal or not. Roy's personal feelings about Cassity obviously make him more sensitive about any criticism thrown his way. Basically, it is pointless to get into any kind of discussion in regards to Cassity with Roy, much like it was pointless to discuss Majerus with him.

I am pretty sure that if one wanted to, somebody could find a number of posts made about Cassity that could be defined as 'personal attacks'. However, on the other hand, one could also look at Roy's criticisms of Glaze and Manning these past two seasons and say that they were 'personal attacks' against the players. Basically, it is all how one wants to define what is personal or not. Roy's personal feelings about Cassity obviously make him more sensitive about any criticism thrown his way. Basically, it is pointless to get into any kind of discussion in regards to Cassity with Roy, much like it was pointless to discuss Majerus with him.

Statement #1: Cassity needs to grow some balls and shoot the f-ing ball (not a personal attack)

Statement #2: Cassity is a *****#cker (Personal attack)

To me statement 1 is acceptable and was used a lot on here and statement 2 is unacceptable and is something I never saw on here.

Drew Diener was recruited for the younger Dieners. SLU wanted the trifecta, all four if you count Rachel. Spoon knew they were a couple years behind Drew and Romar loved Drake and Travis. Knew Drew was destined to be a role player. I had no idea he was ripped so bad on this board; not sure what people expected of him. He may be the best in college basketball history at the calling-a-timeout-while-falling-out-of-bounds play. Coaches hated that.

The story of Travis not signing at SLU still breaks my heart. Kid was all but here before Marquette started pushing him hard to stay home, really playing up that angle to him and his parents. He literally changed his mind the night before Romar thought he was getting a call with his verbal. Then he got the opposite call of what he expected that day. Romar was 2nd place on so many guys that could have changed the program. 1 or 2 more years and some of those were going to fall our way. What could've been.

Still got Rachel, though.

As for Drew's cankles, he had chronic shin problems. Arguably the only SLU player in history with less of a vertical than I have. There's a great picture of him in one of the media guides in which his toes are barely off the floor at the release of his jump shot.

Statement #1: Cassity needs to grow some balls and shoot the f-ing ball (not a personal attack)

Statement #2: Cassity is a *****#cker (Personal attack)

To me statement 1 is acceptable and was used a lot on here and statement 2 is unacceptable and is something I never saw on here.

I can't recall exact attacks, but I'm pretty sure there were some personal attacks on KC. Usually, these came from one of Metz' aliases.

Roy, when you say, "wasnt it pretty much board contention by the end of last year that cassity was a total loss and a failure? so barnett has similar numbers so now he is a great success?" I believe you may be mostly to blame for the board's view of Cassity. Myself along with almost all other board members highly respect you and most all your expert opinions and thoughts. When you speak we listen and we tend to side with your opinions. When you stated that Cassity had NBA potential, we all thought, 'Damn, NBA potential, that's awesome to hear, especially from a highly respected board member'. So we waited and waited and that NBA potential never made it through, thus disappointing the many board members who highly respect your opinion. That disappointment from your previously posted statement led to many negative posts towards the play of Cassity. If you had never posted that, many would have probably been praising him the same way they are Barnett. They are and were great role players for the Billikens. Roy, just remember when you post, most of us treat your words like gold, so in the future don't post such far fetched, ridiculous, bullsh!t opinions like the previously mentioned. Thank you.

Mr. Jump Up

Roy, when you say, "wasnt it pretty much board contention by the end of last year that cassity was a total loss and a failure? so barnett has similar numbers so now he is a great success?" I believe you may be mostly to blame for the board's view of Cassity. Myself along with almost all other board members highly respect you and most all your expert opinions and thoughts. When you speak we listen and we tend to side with your opinions. When you stated that Cassity had NBA potential, we all thought, 'Damn, NBA potential, that's awesome to hear, especially from a highly respected board member'. So we waited and waited and that NBA potential never made it through, thus disappointing the many board members who highly respect your opinion. That disappointment from your previously posted statement led to many negative posts towards the play of Cassity. If you had never posted that, many would have probably been praising him the same way they are Barnett. They are and were great role players for the Billikens. Roy, just remember when you post, most of us treat your words like gold, so in the future don't post such far fetched, ridiculous, bullsh!t opinions like the previously mentioned. Thank you.

Mr. Jump Up

How does your cheek taste?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="billiken_roy" data-cid="342244" data-time="1360618539"><p>

honestly, blue hair, tatoos etc typically do influence me. but the fact i have accepted jordair's hair is definitely a step in the right direction. :D;)</p></blockquote>

How would you fell if Jordair's dreads were blue?

:-)

That might even be to much for me.

Although Cassitty passed up more shots in my perception than Polk- they neither lived up to our expectations.

Polk may have become gun shy after breaking a leg senior high school year-sometimes speedsters lose their wild side after such an incident.

Cassitty had all the fire and speed but passed up open shots seemingly as a recognition that he wasn't as good as a teammate

10 feet to either side with no clearer shot.

I think Barnett improved a lot this year but boy he still is slow footed I do think he will fire it up if he has the chance.

The opponents will honor Barnett where everyone pretty much figured Polk and Cassitty were low priority.

I see Barnett getting some more minutes next year but I really like the smoothness of Drew; he can jump and jump shoot if just puts on some muscle and has the fire of DE or Jett we could see a lot of action from Drew next year.

Cassitty could run and dribble with anyone

I like Barnett's nose for the ball. He seems to get key rebounds and occasionally steps in front of passes. He seems more comfortable and is improving with his minutes. He does not have great athletic ability, but he seems to play taller than he is when it comes to rebounds. The quality of his minutes keep improving and that is critical when starters need a breather, get in foul trouble or get hurt.