Keith Carter leaving SLU

billikens747

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure it would have made any difference, but the program clearly had a gag order on Majerus health right up to the point where Carter was enrolled. I can't blame him for feeling like they pulled the wool over his eyes.

I try hard not to respond to any posts on this board at this point because I despise the constant negativity but I must ask if this comment about Carter is pure speculation or do you have inside information. I suspect it is the former and I just cannot understand why people insist on posting their own speculations and musings as facts on this board.

I'm not sure it would have made any difference, but the program clearly had a gag order on Majerus health right up to the point where Carter was enrolled. I can't blame him for feeling like they pulled the wool over his eyes.

That's ridiculous. The kid was already signed way back in November. It wouldn't have made a difference.

Boy this year has gone from the highs of Columbus to the lows of RM's death and now our top recruit leaving. Anyone else agree it's gotdamn effing hard being a Billiken fan. This is all so very gotdamn unfair. Merry Xmas everyone and to all a good night. I'm heading for the cranberry juice and Absolut.

That's ridiculous. The kid was already signed way back in November. It wouldn't have made a difference.

That's not neccessarily true. He could have been releases from his LOI.

I don't think this is anyone's fault. I don't blame him and I don't blame SLU and I certainly don't blame RM for trying to keep his personal situation quiet. It's unfortunate for everyone

That's not neccessarily true. He could have been releases from his LOI.

I don't think this is anyone's fault. I don't blame him and I don't blame SLU and I certainly don't blame RM for trying to keep his personal situation quiet. It's unfortunate for everyone

Seems VERY unlikely he would have been released from his LOI in July when RM's health began to deteriorate. With that close to the start of school, I also doubt the kid would have immediately been looking to bolt. Remember, Whitesell was also instrumental in his recruitment and he was still on staff.

I didn't say it was likely, I said it was possible. I think the word was out RM was out for a year when it first broke, but many could read the writing on the wall. Had the kid asked to leave at that time, I'm very sure SLU would have let him go.

At that point we were "ranked" in the top 25. Of course he would want to stay with a top team even without RM. Now he realizes that we aren't a top team and wants to transfer to a top team.

At that point we were "ranked" in the top 25. Of course he would want to stay with a top team even without RM. Now he realizes that we aren't a top team and wants to transfer to a top team.

+1 Yet another reason that scenario seems VERY unlikely.

I try hard not to respond to any posts on this board at this point because I despise the constant negativity but I must ask if this comment about Carter is pure speculation or do you have inside information. I suspect it is the former and I just cannot understand why people insist on posting their own speculations and musings as facts on this board.

Billikan, I truly respect you as a Bills fan and as a big donor. I know you hate the negativity on here, especially since Ace and I bore the brunt of your anger for our constant attacks on Soderberg. But you've got to admit, this has been a crappy way to start a season that was supposed to be one of the best in SLU's history, if not the best. Granted the school cannot be held accountable for the RM situation, other than maybe insist he had a better succession plan in place.

Just try and understand our frustration. As I stated earlier from the highs of Columbus to the lows of sinking in the Berea tar pits is how most of us uninformed fans feel right now. The Carter kid finally gets to show what he can do, which was pretty damn good, then ups and leaves. It's like having your dream date really come on to you on the first date and says, if you thought that was good, just wait until our next date, then drops you for another guy.

You're an insider and we understand why you can't tell us what's in the works. Although, a subtle reassurance from time to time that all is being taking care of would be nice to hear. Many of us on here feel BB's an afterthought to the Admin and powers that be, other than Dr. C and a few others, and that they felt all they had to do was build it and we would win. It takes a whole lot more than that, and now's the time to prove it.

Did Carter tell you directly about his feelings?

empathy : the capacity to recognize feelings that are being experienced by another

Staying with the dream date analogy - imagine it's the first date, and you traveled 5 hours to be there, and upon arrival you are informed your date can't make it because of a heart attack sustained months earlier.

Again...I'm not saying it would have made any difference (and it's possible this was a complete non-factor), nor am I saying SLU acted in the wrong (no-win situation, really) - I'm just saying that if I'm in Carter's shoes I'd have found the timing of the announcement dubious.

Billikan, I truly respect you as a Bills fan and as a big donor. I know you hate the negativity on here, especially since Ace and I bore the brunt of your anger for our constant attacks on Soderberg. But you've got to admit, this has been a crappy way to start a season that was supposed to be one of the best in SLU's history, if not the best. Granted the school cannot be held accountable for the RM situation, other than maybe insist he had a better succession plan in place.

Just try and understand our frustration. As I stated earlier from the highs of Columbus to the lows of sinking in the Berea tar pits is how most of us uninformed fans feel right now. The Carter kid finally gets to show what he can do, which was pretty damn good, then ups and leaves. It's like having your dream date really come on to you on the first date and says, if you thought that was good, just wait until our next date, then drops you for another guy.

You're an insider and we understand why you can't tell us what's in the works. Although, a subtle reassurance from time to time that all is being taking care of would be nice to hear. Many of us on here feel BB's an afterthought to the Admin and powers that be, other than Dr. C and a few others, and that they felt all they had to do was build it and we would win. It takes a whole lot more than that, and now's the time to prove it.

Well said, 72.

This is one of those situations where I just wish the kid good luck. A lot has happened to the kid with a HOF Coach stepping down, an interim Coach taking over, the HOF Coach then passes away - that's all a lot to absorb and it just stinks.

However, I can't help but to get pissed when these situations go down like this and it's nothing personal to Keith Carter. I was looking forward to the kid playing (4) years. Even with all the departures at the end of this year, he made me feel a little better about the future. It's easier to bring in a Coach when you have prospects like KC on the team. It's also easier to recruit and convince a recruit that we are building something and have a few pieces in place already. After I settle down and swallow this big pill, I will brush this off and move on, but as of now I have questions. I always thought you committed to a University and not a Coach.

Some may say that is naive, but in College Basketball coaches change all the time. Did KC not know RM was in his last year of his contract and it hadn't been renewed yet? Surely he knew of RM's unhealthy past and knew RM could get sick at any time? Maybe he did and said, "Well, if something happens I could always transfer". I'm just big on commitments and think if you commit, then you commit. ###### will come up and you will make the best of it. Commitments are commitments.

Now we just need KM to come back and have a National 1st Team All American second half of the year. We have to will our way into the tournament and win a game or two. Then we land a complete stud of a Coach who already has a few stud, all-American werewolves in his back pocket and brings them with him. We then pick up where this program should have kept going and get rid of all this snake bit, bad luck, backas# bullsh#t and start thumping people.

How did you get this information about Carter wanting to transfer to a top team?

Oh.... Good question.... I was probably wrong... He probably wants to go to the worst team or play D-3 ball... Sorry for posting something on this board that is just speculation.... I must have lost my common sense when I posted that comment....

http://saintlouis.scout.com/2/1251329.html

"Since [Kwamain Mitchell] was hurt, we didn't have many guards," Carter said. "They were trying to do what was best for the team, and trying to do what was best for me. We just couldn't come to one decision."

"I played better in practice but I knew I wasn't going to be right," Carter said. "I had absolutely no problems with the Coach [Jim] Crews or the coaching staff, this was just the best decision for me. I just need some time off."

I'm not sure how to interpret these comments. The program would have every incentive to redshirt him if he was truly hurt. Kwamain was going to be back in time for the A10 season and surely Carter's impact in that extra year (2016-17) > anything he could have done this season (even without the injury). They certainly had to know he was always a threat to transfer and would be foolish to force him to play against his will.We were worried his lack of playing time would force him to transfer...and according to Carter the opposite was true

Either Carter is being coy about his motivation or someone within the program ("nothing against the coaches"?!? Then who? May?) has royally ###### up.

http://saintlouis.sc.../2/1251329.html

"Since [Kwamain Mitchell] was hurt, we didn't have many guards," Carter said. "They were trying to do what was best for the team, and trying to do what was best for me. We just couldn't come to one decision."

"I played better in practice but I knew I wasn't going to be right," Carter said. "I had absolutely no problems with the Coach [Jim] Crews or the coaching staff, this was just the best decision for me. I just need some time off."

I'm not sure how to interpret these comments. The program would have every incentive to redshirt him if he was truly hurt. Kwamain was going to be back in time for the A10 season and surely Carter's impact in that extra year (2016-17) > anything he could have done this season (even without the injury). They certainly had to know he was always a threat to transfer and would be foolish to force him to play against his will.We were worried his lack of playing time would force him to transfer...and according to Carter the opposite was true

Either Carter is being coy about his motivation or someone within the program ("nothing against the coaches"?!? Then who? May?) has royally ###### up.

That article opens up a lot of questions. Mainly: Did KC realize that a medical hardship redshirt would have been virtually impossible to receive?

It also pretty much verifies that Carter played so many minutes against EIU in an attempt to get him to stay. That doesn't sit right with me.

Interesting. That seems to disprove the notion that he wanted to play only for Coach Majerus. I can hardly believe, in a era when many athletes strive to come back from an injury too soon, that Carter would be so adamant about not being ready. With only two primary ballhandlers on the team, a few minutes of a hobbling Carter likely would be better than wearing McCall and Jett out so early in the season, and when Mitchell comes back, then Carter could rest up and get fully healthy. He wasn't going to receive a medical redshirt for an injury not-so-devastating.

I think he should reconsider. There's still time to do so. Also, because the first semester ended and players eligible for the second semester have begun to play, does Wednesday's game count as second-semester participation and mean that he would be docked a full year, or could he play more games during the break and still be able eligible to play for a new school next December? (Really, I think he's making a hasty decision.)

To me his situation was curious to say the least. I am still not sure what the injury was and have heard it described variously. I got the impression that he didn't want to play and kept having new pains. I think his comments after the announcement were likely not genuine. Maybe we will never know and maybe he was just homsick, but something strange here.

Oh.... Good question.... I was probably wrong... He probably wants to go to the worst team or play D-3 ball... Sorry for posting something on this board that is just speculation.... I must have lost my common sense when I posted that comment....

No problem, just thought you might have heard he really felt that slu was not the level team he wanted to play for therefore he left. Thanks for clarifying. I think you could be right though about his reasons but why would he want to play D3 ball over SLU? You must have lost your common sense when posting that statement, or maybe just one too many Rob Roy's.