• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keith Carter Leaves Billiken Program

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Friday, Dec. 21, 2012

ST. LOUIS – Saint Louis interim head coach Jim Crews announced today that freshman guard Keith Carter (Chicago, Ill./Proviso East) has left the Billiken men’s basketball program due to personal reasons.

“When commitments are started, you don’t want to see things like this happen,” Crews said. “Unfortunately this is something that is consistent and constant in college basketball. With that said, we wish Keith the best in his future plans.”

Carter appeared in three games for the Billikens and averaged 3.0 ppg.

Interesting wording on the quote from Crews. I wonder who wrote it.

SH!T! I guess there really was something to him just staring into the distance while on the bench last week. I wonder if the knowledge that Mitchell is coming back soon played into his short-term thoughts re: playing time and he just decided to leave instead of seeing more bench time during the conference season...

Could there have been an additional academic issue? The semester just ended and grades were due today.

I suspect the fact that he waited until the semester was over and presumably took all his exams, etc. is actually a good thing and there is a likelihood he has decent grades. If he had pulled a Ruben Cotto and left mid first semester he would have had no chance to pass his classes and would have been a significant (i.e. 0 for 2) APR hit.

I'm sure he knew he intended to transfer well before the last few days...

Next up for SLU: Not getting invited to the BE7, any logical SLU fan knows thats coming.

You're right. Very good chance that our fandom trajectory continues, we don't get an invite and we hire Brad Soderberg back as coach.

That said, you gotta keep hoping. That's the pain and beauty in being a Bills fan. You can always keep hoping.

I suspect the fact that he waited until the semester was over and presumably took all his exams, etc. is actually a good thing and there is a likelihood he has decent grades. If he had pulled a Ruben Cotto and left mid first semester he would have had no chance to pass his classes and would have been a significant (i.e. 0 for 2) APR hit.

I'm sure he knew he intended to transfer well before the last few days...

Seems to me that Keith Carter handled the transfer the right way. You can't really blame the kid. Coach left, program in limbo. Especially if he didn't love SLU as a school it was probably the right thing to do.

Seems to me that Keith Carter handled the transfer the right way. You can't really blame the kid. Coach left, program in limbo. Especially if he didn't love SLU as a school it was probably the right thing to do.

I don't disagree but if he had waited until the end of this year he could have waited to see who the new coach would be. If he didn't like him, he could have transferred, sat out a year and then still had 3 years of eligibility. If he transfers now he'll have to sit out all of next year if he still wants three years of eligibility or he could pull a Jabari Brown and come back mid-season for 2.5 years of more eligibility.

Either way its hard to blast the kid as he came into a totally different situation than what he signed on for.

I don't disagree but if he had waited until the end of this year he could have waited to see who the new coach would be. If he didn't like him, he could have transferred, sat out a year and then still had 3 years of eligibility. If he transfers now he'll have to sit out all of next year if he still wants three years of eligibility or he could pull a Jabari Brown and come back mid-season for 2.5 years of more eligibility.

Either way its hard to blast the kid as he came into a totally different situation than what he signed on for.

Well said.

Obviously it doesn't look good right now, but we've got 3 signing periods between now and then to bolster the squad. Gotta make a good hire.

How is recruiting working this year? Are we just not recruiting anyone or are we recruiting kids hoping they don't mind not knowing who they are going to play for?

3) He literally only came to SLU for Majerus.

A couple of the guys that cover Chicago recruiting said he only came to SLU because of Majerus and always wanted to go to a bigger school after he decommitted from Loyola. However, when the offers didn't come quick enough, Majerus convinced him he could be the next Andre Miller/ Kwamain.

This is the reason. He'll be eligible to play a year from now. If he wants to transfer this is time to do it. He did not come here to get a great Saint Louis University education. He came to play basketball for a legend who is now gone. No surprise that Billiken Roy didn't mention this.

Also, you guys are aware that the new coach will be allowed to recruit players, right? Maybe some very good ones?

This really sucks and it is still hard work being a Billiken fan. I guess the chicken littles had reason to worry. The whole situation was strange. He sits out when it looked like he would be playing and then all of the sudden plays and then all of the sudden is gone. I wonder if we will ever know the real reason. In addition to Majerus, Whitesell has instrumental in getting him. Whitesell is basically a lame duck. Tried to get out and go to St. John's. If he helped bring Carter here, at this point he probably wasn't real motivated in working to get him to stay.

Agreed, even though he's redshirting, I believe he'd still have to sit out a year. Doubt 2 full years of not playing is what he'd want, but who knows...

unless he is headed to naia, d2 or d3. he can play immediately if he switches divisions.

skip, let me help you out. carter now pays for breaking his committment to the school by giving up 365 days before he can play for another division one college team. or he can permanently demote himself to a lower level of college basketball. i.e. the penalty is ALL on the student athlete even if he doesnt choose to be the one to break the commit.