Keith Carter leaving SLU

billikens747

63633_z65pwY7gxi8zTmV.jpg

Video highlights of Valpo's come from behind win at home against Wright State on Saturday.

Thursday night Valpo came back from 22 points down with 17 minutes to go and down 11 points with 3 minutes to go to win by 1 against Detroit-Mercy.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/745053/size/condensed/

By the way, thanks for Carter!

He won't be playing with six of Valpo's seniors but I'm sure he's getting to know the underclassmen.

Out 2 biggest games next year will be against Saint Louis and Murray State (who Valpo did beat 66-64 in Murray, KY) so there should be a similar size crowd at the ARC for the game against the Billikens depending on if the game is played during semester break or not.. The Wright State game was a battle for first place in the Horizon League. The ARC holds about 5,000 and the crowd was announced as 4,860.

And yes, I'm extremely happy Butler is no longer in the Horizon League. They certainly deserved their move to the A-10 and maybe beyond.

Who the **** is Keith Carter?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

actually, this guy is probably right about one thing -- that sort of gym on a January afternoon/ night, coming back from way down to win -- I bet it was really rockin'. That kind of old-fashioned basketball spirit is home-grown, and I'm sure it was special.

every so often Chaifetz gets like that -- most recently, and so far about the only time this year = New Year's eve, esp. that first half against UNM. But more commonly, let's just admit it -- our home court goes dead, half the people are texting or doing Facebook on their phones; and people around me generally seem offended if I yell something. Never gotten used to that attitude. I've seen more emotional audiences sometimes in a movie theater. sorry, but again, I got spoiled in Bloomington during the Knight years, but before that in one of those small towns north of Indy. I've never really warmed up to the SLU style in terms of basketball crowds but I do appreciate the fanaticism on this board...( a pretty small minority, unfortunately).

so honestly, it probably is something Valpo can be proud of. I'll bet that will be a tough game next year. And this guy is probably right about the environment, compared to Chaifetz.

actually, this guy is probably right about one thing -- that sort of gym on a January afternoon/ night, coming back from way down to win -- I bet it was really rockin'. That kind of old-fashioned basketball spirit is home-grown, and I'm sure it was special.

every so often Chaifetz gets like that -- most recently, and so far about the only time this year = New Year's eve, esp. that first half against UNM. But more commonly, let's just admit it -- our home court goes dead, half the people are texting or doing Facebook on their phones; and people around me generally seem offended if I yell something. Never gotten used to that attitude. I've seen more emotional audiences sometimes in a movie theater. sorry, but again, I got spoiled in Bloomington during the Knight years, but before that in one of those small towns north of Indy. I've never really warmed up to the SLU style in terms of basketball crowds but I do appreciate the fanaticism on this board...( a pretty small minority, unfortunately).

so honestly, it probably is something Valpo can be proud of. I'll bet that will be a tough game next year. And this guy is probably right about the environment, compared to Chaifetz.

Bloomington, Indiana; Lexington, Kentucky...that's how the crowd "should" be every night.

There are about 330 division one programs. How many sellout every game and have people jumping around during the entire game like KU, Duke, etc. - that is, the elite programs? Very few.

Bloomington, Indiana; Lexington, Kentucky Busch Stadium for baseball...that's how the crowd "should" be every night.

Fixed it for you. Unfortunately, it takes years to build that kind of crowd participation. The student section this year (and at the end of last year) has been a good start -- but SLU isn't going to be "St. Louis' team" for a very long time, barring some miracle of several deep NCAA runs in a row.

Bloomington, Indiana; Lexington, Kentucky Busch Stadium for baseball...that's how the crowd "should" be every night.

Fixed it for you. Unfortunately, it takes years to build that kind of crowd participation. The student section this year (and at the end of last year) has been a good start -- but SLU isn't going to be "St. Louis' team" for a very long time, barring some miracle of several deep NCAA runs in a row.

i'd be happy if the faux slu fans wearing their mi$$ouri sweatshirts realized how dumb they look at a slu game dressed like that and purchased a blue slu shirt to wear. either that or they should stay home and watch their newest role model honey boo boo.

True dat.

didnt keith carter play defensive line for a few seasons. if i remember correctly, he was very underachieving. glad when he left.

You know, I get tired of giving free reading lessons on here, and getting into a thing with people when I decide to post something; but here goes:

I never said SLU's arena "should" be like IU or Kentucky. But don't you think we might be capable of generating the electricity of a place like Valpo? I've been to games in Carbondale, for example. People love to hammer those folks, and make fun of it, etc. But they have an atmosphere and home court advantage that is light years ahead of ours. It's not just the Bloomingtons and Lexingtons of the world, it includes places like Valpo, and Carbondale, and dozens of other lesser lights. Actually, there are lots of places besides the power house teams that get excited and participate, and jump around. In our own league, for example, where does our crowd rank?? ahead of Fordham, for one. We get high marks for attendance, but numbers do not equal electricity.

Last comment: I'm weary of hearing how it takes years and years to build that sort of thing, or that winning solves the problem. Clearly it doesn't. The default position for many, if not most, at Chaifetz is sitting on hands, playing video games, and surfing cell phones. Time does not heal all wounds.

Last comment: I'm weary of hearing how it takes years and years to build that sort of thing, or that winning solves the problem. Clearly it doesn't. The default position for many, if not most, at Chaifetz is sitting on hands, playing video games, and surfing cell phones. Time does not heal all wounds.

You may be weary, but I've been talking about it and/or working on it off and on for about 35 years now, and the simple facts are that we have nothing (yet) on which to build a fan tradition, and there's simply no institutional commitment to perfecting all the little things that need to be done to make casual fans always enjoy the experience even when we're not on some winning tear.

Case in point: The U. did it right by getting at least a couple hundred, if not more, casual fans to attend Saturday night's game through coupon deals, then slammed them all into a corner of the ticket lobby and had too few staff to allow them to redeem their tickets. There were probably 100 people still waiting when the game started. (Simple solution? DON'T MAKE THEM STAND IN LINE FOR PAPER TICKETS!!!)

And I'll add: The U. has been doing it right recently in getting students to game, even if it means bribing them with pizza.

The other big problems right now are that we're an above-average team consistently playing down to our level of competition, and we lack any "hook" (which, in the past, was Majerus' personality and reputation) to generate any consistent marketing opportunity.

You may be weary, but I've been talking about it and/or working on it off and on for about 35 years now, and the simple facts are that we have nothing (yet) on which to build a fan tradition, and there's simply no institutional commitment to perfecting all the little things that need to be done to make casual fans always enjoy the experience even when we're not on some winning tear.

Case in point: The U. did it right by getting at least a couple hundred, if not more, casual fans to attend Saturday night's game through coupon deals, then slammed them all into a corner of the ticket lobby and had too few staff to allow them to redeem their tickets. There were probably 100 people still waiting when the game started. (Simple solution? DON'T MAKE THEM STAND IN LINE FOR PAPER TICKETS!!!)

And I'll add: The U. has been doing it right recently in getting students to game, even if it means bribing them with pizza.

The other big problems right now are that we're an above-average team consistently playing down to our level of competition, and we lack any "hook" (which, in the past, was Majerus' personality and reputation) to generate any consistent marketing opportunity.

-I guess the ticket office is SLU's and not Global Spectrum? it sounds like the U needs a quality control person in the ADept to see to these things, unreal

This exact same thing happened last year when SLU did the Groupon deal. The line was crazy and there were people in line when the game started. You would think that SLU would have learned from it and made it better this year. Botching it one year is frustrating, but understandable. Botching it 2 years in a row is pathetic and goes to show you why SLU has so much trouble drawing to Chaifetz and creating a fan base.

The last SLU vs SIUC game in Carbondale the only excitement in that arena came from SLU fans.

I'd bet when we are coming off back 2 back tourneys and a sweet 16 trip, the Chaifitz will be rocking. If we continue to have success it'll continue to be a great atmosphere. If we have a few poor years in a row, the atmosphere will fade away.

I still think the posters on this board should all sit in the same section. It would be hilarious.

Count me out.

It would be like one of those WWF wrestling matches where they start with 16 guys and they throw each other out, the last one in wins. I think some of you would gang up on me. Most of you.

MB and Roy are both correct. However, for one game, it would be an absolute hoot!

It would.

That would be hilarious